New Axl Interview

The Real McCoy

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slash was a late arrival into the Guns N' Roses fold, Rose loves reminding people, and apart from a few key riffs, says Rose, the guitarist was much less involved in the songs than Rose and Stradlin.

"It was really a fight with me and Slash," says Rose of the forces that took down the band. "Izzy was doing the same thing, but the fight with me and Slash started the day I met him. He came in, popped my tape out and put his in and wanted me in his band. And I didn't want to join his band. We've had that war since Day 1."

Source: Truth about Slash

SLASH IS A JOKE STOP POSTING U cupcake!!!!! :fuckyou:

We should nitpick every sentence to death. Of course, skewing every sentence to not just be a general off the cuff statement in an interview after a 3-hour show........but insted skew it to mean something related to OUR vision of who was at fault in the old band's break-up.

This is one reason Axl doesn't do that many interviews. People OVER ANALYSE every thing to death.

Axl has to miss the excitement of touring with Slash and Duff. They were creating magic night after night and had all come from nothing. Yeah at times it was a hassle and there was always a give-and-take but creating something beautiful isn't ever easy. Nor should it be. :thumbsup:

He probably misses that excitement just like we all miss that first hot girl we dated in high school. But it doesn't mean he has to divorce his current wife and go back and revisit that love from 20 years ago. It would NOT be the same with her in 2011 as it was in 1988 when they were teenagers.

Have you seen the new band on tour this year????

I did.

And Axl looked like he was having an absolute blast on stage.

Three hour shows, 34 songs, interacting with the band and crowd all night long.

Axl is having a blast, so I'm not sure your overall point is really relevant.

YOU might enjoy seeing Axl play with the old band, but that doesn't mean that Axl himself would enjoy it more than he is enjoying playing with his current band.

Duff and Izzy have joined the new band on stage, and I'm sure they all have a good time with that.

A reunion tour is never going to happen. Axl is not going to desert a group of guys that have stood by his side through thick and thin for over a decade. Izzy, Slash and Duff quit and moved on.

All the guys involved in the old band and the new band are pretty much all friends and respectful to each other. The new band members have had NO problem letting old bands jam with them.

Old members have had NO problem getting on stage and jamming with the new band.

Really, it's just a few forum members who are still angry and bitter about the old band's breakup. The band members themselves have moved on with their lives. Shame that forum members cannot.

Marc Canter was definitely on the right track when he said that things were cool with Axl and Slash. I doubt they've talked, but Axl seems a lot more open about discussing Slash. It's cool that he acknowledges that Slash and Duff are really the essentials to a reunion. I think that just Slash and Duff back would be enough to satisfy the general public in terms of a reunion. They're more or less the "core" or whatever you want to call it of the old Guns.

Poor Steven. He wants that reunion so bad but I'm pretty sure even Slash and Duff would agree on Matt being the drummer (although personally I'd rather have Steven).

All speculation at this point though. As long as 2012 is a productive year for Guns, be it new music from the current line-up, a reunion, or whatever, then I'll be satisfied.

I think he has issues with matt and gilby from the UYI tour and like people have said, izzy and steve aren't the most reliable to do a world tour.

If I was a manager/promoter; I would try to sell Axl on the idea of doing a world tour with the current version of GnR as the headliner while having 2 opening acts,

Loaded being the first; followed by Slash/myles as the 2nd act

Then during Guns set, do an extended encore with slash and duff doing shit off AFD and UYI

This will let them all continue in the directions they want to go in yet also satisfy some of the fans that would like to see axl, duff, and slash all share the same stage. Maybe invite steve and izzy and see if they show......lol

Did you have a job when you were young, maybe delivering papers or something? Can I then refer to you as a paperboy for the rest of your life, regardless of what job you currently do? I can see that you have no interest in evaluating and discussing this as an adult, unless you're mentally retarded, because clearly anybody can understand that your "example" is idiotic, unless a member of the cleaning staff had managed the vice-president's affairs for well over a decade. Not to mention the fact that being a VP at Coca-Cola is probably more difficult than managing a rock band.

Also, I guess you are admitting that you could not manage a rock band even with twenty years of on-the-job training. I am sorry for you, maybe you really should stick to delivering papers. I am pretty sure I'd be able to do it, especially when you consider that I would have lawyers to handle legal stuff, tour directors to handle tour stuff, assistants, roadies, yada yada yada.

Or maybe you're just sexist, and don't think she can handle it because she's a woman, based on your ridiculous belitting comment about dusting.

Define "managing the affairs of". What exactly did she DO? If she was so great at "managing Axl's affairs", why the need for the never-ending revolving door of executives? Why did we wait 13+ years for an album and string of stop-start tours? Is it your contention that if Axl had put his housekeeper in charge sooner he would be riding a wave of popularity based on his 21st century output?

How do you know she's had on the job training? Just being around Axl doesn't give her any clue about how to be an effective manager just by osmosis. The music industry, especially at the Axl Rose level, is actually really complicated. It's great to support your client's vision, but there's about a zillion times more to it then that.

If you're so sure you could do it, then do it. I'll be waiting for your updates.

Don't forget the point I was making, that in this example I would have had somewhere between 13 and 20 years of experience working closely with a band. If I was paying attention and fully involved in what was going on during that whole time, then yeah I think I'd be able to do it.

To be clear, I am not suggesting that this is the greatest idea ever, or guaranteed to work. Going back to a couple of points I made earlier, I don't know Beta, I have no idea how smart she is, if she has any business acumen, how closely she was working with the band and previous managers, how much she has learned, etc. You make a fair point that we don't know exactly what she has done. Somebody else provided a good comment, that mixing business and family does not always go as planned. As for on the job training though, I am pretty sure she was involved in a lot of GNR-related stuff since the late 90's. Certainly what we know from MSL's drive supports this, she seemed to be involved in a lot of GNR business dealings previously, Axl has hinted at this as well.

Does Doc McGhee have some sort of PhD in Rock Band Management or something? Brian Epstein was a guy who had taken some acting classes and was working in a record store. His next job was managing The Beatles. It's not like becoming a doctor, which requires years of training, and if you screw up people die. Please tell me what kind of course or experience a person absolutely 100% has to have in order to manage a rock band. You can't, because such a thing does not exist.

All I am saying is that it is quite possible she knows a lot about this stuff by now, and could do a fine job. To keep harping on the fact that she was a "housekeeper" in 1992 or whenever is just an insult based on a complete lack of perspective. Again, if you worked at McDonalds for a while in 1992, then spent the last 20 years learning a whole lot about a particular business and get a promotion, can we say you earned it or dismiss you as a guy who flips burgers?

McGhee's at least an educated man and no one can doubt his track record of success. Frankly, mentioning Beta's name in the same sentence as his is an insult to him. As for Epstein, at least he was running two music stores at the time. The leap from music retail to management is large, but at least somewhat related. Jumping from making sure the house is clean to managing a band as large and complicated as the Axl Rose Show, less so. At any rate, I'm sure we can agree that managing a barely out of puberty Beatles (still playing the Cavern) in 1961 is very different than managing Axl Rose in 2011.

I'm still not sure as to how referring to her as a housekeeper is an insult. It's fact. That was her career, not a summer job or a kid working at McDonald's or however you're trying to red herring it. She wasn't thinking "the fast track to my dream of being the manager of a giant rock act is by making sure Stephanie Seymour's house is clean", that was her chosen profession. She'd done nothing else in the time frame between her housekeeping duties, being the weird mother figure to Axl and managing the band.

Again, I'm not saying she's not a nice lady. I'm not saying anything against her as a person. But business wise, hiring management from the former domestic staff shouldn't fill anyone with confidence. If this was KISS and we heard that they had decided to replace Doc with Paul Stanley's housekeeper, would you still be defending the idea?

If you really think you can do it, then try it. I'm serious and not being pejorative in any way. I'll give you some suggestions as to books to read so you're not flying totally blind. Go find a cool club act around your town and give it a shot. I think it would be a cool social experiment :)

axl didn't fire steven. he was fired by his so called best friend slash. axl was the last one to sign the papers.

umm ok.

Yet Axl was the only one who wanted to fight Steven in court when the rest of the band wanted to settle.

He probably misses that excitement just like we all miss that first hot girl we dated in high school. But it doesn't mean he has to divorce his current wife and go back and revisit that love from 20 years ago. It would NOT be the same with her in 2011 as it was in 1988 when they were teenagers.

They were in their mid to late 20's in 1988...

I really liked this interview, even more than TMS. I am glad Axl has Beta as the manager. I am sure she can really produce. I hope you guys can read between the lines. Axl cares about what him and Guns N Roses can do for the band's future. The people that are crossing their fingers that the hall of fame could possibly lead to something, its not! Its not really hard to understand what Axl wants. I like it! Next year looks sooo fn awesome for Axl, Ron, DJ, Richard, Dizzy, Pitman, Tommy and Frank.

Axl is so fucking confusing lol.... When you try to decipher what he says it makes no sense.. So his new drummers work hard but Stinson doesn't? Who knows... Personally I would love to see Axl, Slash and Duff.. That would be pretty bad ass. It is as close to seeing the classic lineup as I have ever seen anyway because I never saw them until the UYI's tour.. It just fucking blows my mind that now Izzy is the one that he wouldn't want onboard. That makes NO sense to me at all. I have had dreams of seeing Axl, Slash, Duff and IZZY play together someday. I would rather see Axl, Slash and Izzy than Axl, Slash and Duff... Axl is so perplexing lol... I never really expected Steven to be part of it. I wish he was but it ain't happening.

I am really getting the feeling that Axl and Slash are quietly mending their friendship behind closed doors.

Axl

Slash

Duff

Ashba

Frank

Dizzy

That would work for me...

I really don't think that it's that Axl wouldn't "want" Izzy onboard. Remember that Izzy left basically before the UYI tour even got going. He made it clear he didn't have any interest in being in a big band, doing a lot of live concerts, dealing with Axl on a daily basis, etc. Even when he was in the band, he didn't seem that into it. Remember Axl & Slash complaining about how Izzy didn't move around on stage and sometimes was playing the wrong thing?

We know that Duff and Slash have commented about their interest in returning, but Izzy never did. Maybe he told Axl he wouldn't want to return, or maybe Axl is just assuming he couldn't be counted on.

I thought I just read somewhere in the last couple of days that Izzy said he helped write those songs and he would be interested.. Not sure how long ago he said taht..

2006 I think. Axl never said he wouldn't want Izzy onboard. It's pretty clear that he states that people who want a reunion or are expecting for one only care about Slash and Duff. We would have to ask them if they'll be 100% satisfied if only Izzy and Steven reunites with Axl and tour again.

This really is fabulous news even the possibiliity of a reconcilation makes me very happy!! Christamas has come early!

As for Steven and Izzy well of course I would like to see them on board. There seems to be a lot of references to Izzy not being reliable or able to handle the pressure but surely this refers to how he was back in 1990? He's now off the drugs and in pretty good fettle from what I can see so hopefully he could do it if an agreement could be reached.

With Steven it's far less clear I'd love to see him back in the band (assuming he was functional), might help him turn things around too, you know give him something to shoot for but something tells me he is a lost cause!

Axl is so fucking confusing lol.... When you try to decipher what he says it makes no sense.. So his new drummers work hard but Stinson doesn't? Who knows... Personally I would love to see Axl, Slash and Duff.. That would be pretty bad ass. It is as close to seeing the classic lineup as I have ever seen anyway because I never saw them until the UYI's tour.. It just fucking blows my mind that now Izzy is the one that he wouldn't want onboard. That makes NO sense to me at all. I have had dreams of seeing Axl, Slash, Duff and IZZY play together someday. I would rather see Axl, Slash and Izzy than Axl, Slash and Duff... Axl is so perplexing lol... I never really expected Steven to be part of it. I wish he was but it ain't happening.

I am really getting the feeling that Axl and Slash are quietly mending their friendship behind closed doors.

Axl

Slash

Duff

Ashba

Frank

Dizzy

I really don't think that it's that Axl wouldn't "want" Izzy onboard. Remember that Izzy left basically before the UYI tour even got going. He made it clear he didn't have any interest in being in a big band, doing a lot of live concerts, dealing with Axl on a daily basis, etc. Even when he was in the band, he didn't seem that into it. Remember Axl & Slash complaining about how Izzy didn't move around on stage and sometimes was playing the wrong thing?

We know that Duff and Slash have commented about their interest in returning, but Izzy never did. Maybe he told Axl he wouldn't want to return, or maybe Axl is just assuming he couldn't be counted on.

I thought I just read somewhere in the last couple of days that Izzy said he helped write those songs and he would be interested.. Not sure how long ago he said taht..

2006 I think. Axl never said he wouldn't want Izzy onboard. It's pretty clear that he states that people who want a reunion or are expecting for one only care about Slash and Duff. We would have to ask them if they'll be 100% satisfied if only Izzy and Steven reunites with Axl and tour again.

This really is fabulous news even the possibiliity of a reconcilation makes me very happy!! Christamas has come early!

As for Steven and Izzy well of course I would like to see them on board. There seems to be a lot of references to Izzy not being reliable or able to handle the pressure but surely this refers to how he was back in 1990? He's now off the drugs and in pretty good fettle from what I can see so hopefully he could do it if an agreement could be reached.

With Steven it's far less clear I'd love to see him back in the band (assuming he was functional), might help him turn things around too, you know give him something to shoot for but something tells me he is a lost cause!

I thought we heard (TMS interview?) Izzy was supposed to play Miami this year with Guns and bailed at the last minute for unknown reasons...

Anyway, it's not that Izzy's a bad guy- I just don't think he's in to having his life dictated by a tour schedule and months of commitments, etc. IMHO Axl's right on this one. Got to go with someone else (e.g. DJ, Richard, Gilby etc.) if this half-baked reunion were to ever in a million years happen (not very likely IMHO)...

Beta as manager is nice but it doesn't fill me with confidence that we'll get a new album soon. Axl said there will be new music when they get things sorted out with the label. Like him or not, Azoff is a guy who can and did get things sorted out with a label. Can Beta do the same?

Axl

Slash

Duff

Ashba

Frank

Dizzy

I thought we heard (TMS interview?) Izzy was supposed to play Miami this year with Guns and bailed at the last minute for unknown reasons...

Anyway, it's not that Izzy's a bad guy- I just don't think he's in to having his life dictated by a tour schedule and months of commitments, etc. IMHO Axl's right on this one. Got to go with someone else (e.g. DJ, Richard, Gilby etc.) if this half-baked reunion were to ever in a million years happen (not very likely IMHO)...

Ah I didn't know about that? Still without knowing the full facts don't want to write him off just yet.

I realise a full union is still a long way off but even a reconcillation is good news. Hopefully Axl will at least attend the RNRHOF award ceremony.

There is another interview on blabbermouth.net and it sounds like Axl has no intention of playing with the original members at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He mentioned Slash and Duff, but that was it. He was talking about the band played on the Illusion records. He also says Izzy wasn't a part of those records as well as Steven. No mention of Matt. Axl also stated how tough those days were with the band and has no desire to relive it.

Now this interview saying the he and GNR will be busy for all of next year with touring and new music, it doesn't sound like Axl will make the induction at all. I guess we'll find out in April.

I just don't want anyone else singing a GNR song if the other original members show up and Axl doesn't. I don't think that would be right to do. I would rather they just get the induction and leave.

I would be really pissed if they used another singer to perform with the other members. I think it would be worse than not performing.

Axl has to miss the excitement of touring with Slash and Duff. They were creating magic night after night and had all come from nothing. Yeah at times it was a hassle and there was always a give-and-take but creating something beautiful isn't ever easy. Nor should it be. :thumbsup:

I did.

YOU might enjoy seeing Axl play with the old band, but that doesn't mean that Axl himself would enjoy it more than he is enjoying playing with his current band.

Duff and Izzy have joined the new band on stage, and I'm sure they all have a good time with that.

A reunion tour is never going to happen. Axl is not going to desert a group of guys that have stood by his side through thick and thin for over a decade. Izzy, Slash and Duff quit and moved on.

All the guys involved in the old band and the new band are pretty much all friends and respectful to each other. The new band members have had NO problem letting old bands jam with them.

Really, it's just a few forum members who are still angry and bitter about the old band's breakup. The band members themselves have moved on with their lives. Shame that forum members cannot.

The Groghan argument again! Hahah. The band is probably not listening to the old albums and probably don't want to SEE that music live. They have moved on, have other jobs but the music doesn't age to fans. Fans of Pink Floyd would like to see Roger and David play together again, obviously right? Even though Roger waters still plays lots of Floyd songs people still want to see the original band together playing. Only on this forum can fans want to see the band that made the albums together on stage and catch a "logical" breakdown of why they shouldn't want that. The only difference between Roger and Axl is Axl still calls his band the old bands name, the situation is the same though.

Your post about people shouldn't nit-pick, analyse, or make conversation about Axl's interviews was rough too. This is a DISCUSSION forum and when Axl comes out of his cave and we hear from him we like to talk about, look into it. It's fun for some of us, serious business apparently for others.

About a reunion, of course he didn't say anything directly about it. Look at the timeline though...

2008: Slash is a cancer, wouldn't be in the same room with him and there would be a fight if they were, no interest in RHOL

earlier this year That Metal Show: Doesn't rule out a the hall of fame completely, nothing overly hateful about Slash

this interview: Talking about what people would want from a reunion (Slash and Duff, in his opinion) and what he wouldn't want from a reunion (certain Illusions people, I guess), more talk not completely ruling out a reunion

Quite a change, quite a change.

Great post knife chase!

It may only be the RNRHOF or maybe not even the RNRHOF but if it is I will sell a kidney to be there!

I did.

The Groghan argument again! Hahah. The band is probably not listening to the old albums and probably don't want to SEE that music live. They have moved on, have other jobs but the music doesn't age to fans. Fans of Pink Floyd would like to see Roger and David play together again, obviously right? Even though Roger waters still plays lots of Floyd songs people still want to see the original band together playing. Only on this forum can fans want to see the band that made the albums together on stage and catch a "logical" breakdown of why they shouldn't want that. The only difference between Roger and Axl is Axl still calls his band the old bands name, the situation is the same though.

Your post about people shouldn't nit-pick, analyse, or make conversation about Axl's interviews was rough too. This is a DISCUSSION forum and when Axl comes out of his cave and we hear from him we like to talk about, look into it. It's fun for some of us, serious business apparently for others.

About a reunion, of course he didn't say anything directly about it. Look at the timeline though...

2008: Slash is a cancer, wouldn't be in the same room with him and there would be a fight if they were, no interest in RHOL

earlier this year That Metal Show: Doesn't rule out a the hall of fame completely, nothing overly hateful about Slash

this interview: Talking about what people would want from a reunion (Slash and Duff, in his opinion) and what he wouldn't want from a reunion (certain Illusions people, I guess), more talk not completely ruling out a reunion

Quite a change, quite a change.

:thumbsup: Great post. This is a discussion forum. I don't get why people get their knickers in a bunch about discussion in a discussion forum.

They were in their mid to late 20's in 1988...

point is still the same, the age isn't really the important part.

Lines.....no offense, but I don't recall ever chatting with you, but you obviously know my posting history. Are u a former member?

Yes. This is a discussion board. I am allowed to have a different opinion than you and kill thrill are.......right? It's a bit of a contradiction on your part to complain about my post while also saying its a discussion board for people to openly post their opinions. Or is it only open for discussion for those that agree with you?????

I think it is silly to discuss daily about reunion plans for a band that stopped playing together over 15 years ago, when all key members are in other bands. Axl, Slash and Duff would be dicks if they dropped their current band members to go play with somebody else. How rude that would be.

And there is a difference between having a discussion about a new Axl interview compared to taking line by line parts of that interview and over analyzing every sentence. A quick interview, after a three hour show, drinking a beer.....Axl isn't trying to make statements that will define his entire life. He is just having a chat. It shouldn't be nitpicked and over analyzed word by word.