New Axl Interview

The Real McCoy

More of the same misinformation you always post mate.......

Some of my favorite fantasy highlights include,

But yet, you quote nobody to support your fantasy.

- Slash would not let Axl change anything on the Snakepit material......actually Axl turned down the material when it was offered so Slash created Snakepit with Gilby so Axl had his chance

So we are in agreement. Slash left because Axl did not want Snakepit to be the next GnR album. :thumbsup:

Slash did indeed only wanted his Snakepit songs as-as and unmodified. It was indeed: my way or the highway.

Look what happened with VR. Scott Weiland got more creative control on Libertad and Slash cried. Scott Weiland got fired. And I paraphrase quote from Slash himself: "The next VR singer must singer exactly to what I create."

- Slash and Duff fired Steven....Nobody knows who was the driving force behind Stevens firing but all signs point to Axl being the instigator. Slash and Duff were pussy's back then which is why Axl got away with the shit the did..also Axl fired Gilby and before Duff left wanted to fire Matt which is one of the reason Duff quit as the band ceased to be a partnership

So I guess you didn't read Steven Adler article I sourced huh? Steven blamed everybody, but the person he blamed the most - at the time - was Slash. And it was indeed Slash and Duff who brought Matt Sorum into the GnR fold. And Axl regrets allowing Sorum into the band.

Gilby was never a *member* of the band. Gilby was as important as the backup girl singers. He was brought in for the tours only. But his style of music was never Axl's cup of tea.

So we agree again: Duff left on his own accord :thumbsup:

- Izzy left because he did not get along with Slash musically..no actually Izzy has stated in interviews the main reason he left GnR was Axl's late starts, Axl's attempt to get him to sign a contract cutting his percentage and his need to get away from all the drug use as he was finally sober and on probation for peeing on the plane.

So Axl's late start on the UYI tour affected Izzy's ability to write and record music on UYIs and all future GnR albums right?

Axl's late start was why Slash re-recorded all Izzy's parts on UYIs right?

Axl's late start explains why Izzy did not like Matt or Slash's style of music right?

Axl's late start on the UYI tours affected Izzy's desire to do a long tour, but it had nothing to do with his desire to create music as part of GnR anymore.

GnR was no longer his and Axl's band anymore. So, Izzy left for the same reason Slash and Duff left: CREATIVE DIFFERENCES

- and the knee slapper of them all is old GNR was never respected............The grunge movement had an issue with Axl's overblown stage shows and after show party's not the bands original music. AFD Era Guns was one of the most influential bands of their era and still influences bands today

Not really dude.

Why you think Axl gave that rant against *alternative bands* and in particular Kurt Cobain?

None of the alternative bands at the time liked GnR. They bashed GnR.

None of those alternative bands list GnR as one of their big influences.

Anybody who was into the alternative music at the time, hated GnR from AFD to UYI.

Post-1992, if you were still blasting GnR's music on your stereo and wearing GnR clothing, you would be laughed at.

Think about this: even VR with Scott Weiland was not liked by people who are into NEW ROCK or old alternative rock fans.

I laughed so hard at your post I spit my tea all over my laptop screen.........I will say one thing for you have a vivid imagination..........pure fiction

Did you really laugh so hard that you spilled your tea all over your laptop? Right, that's why your laptop is still working. It must have been something else. You sure it was tea and not something else more sticky? LOL

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so great to see Axl being so much more open and talkative with press and fans. I think for alot of years the life and creativity was sucked out of him! This tour has seen him in the best mood he's ever been, chemistry with band is great and he's starting to figure out the next step. Time will tell what Beta will be like as a manager. And most of all he's proved he's the best livin frontman!

I think that a reunion tour would be really succesfull (there's too much hype into it), but I can't see any future for the classic band now. One of the reasons the original band broke was the fact that Axl wanted to do revolutionary stuff, while Slash wanted, and still wants (see his last interview), to do plain rock n roll stuff. Face the fact, unless they do something revolutionary, create a new musical movement, like all iconic bands before, and after, them (Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Van Halen, Nirvana...), they will never be as big as they were. They will be like ACDC, playing the same shit over n over.

Does every topic have to turn into a new band vs old band bashing session!!!

The old band was one of the best rock bands in history. Shame they didn't produce more albums. Egos, drugs, creative differences sent people in their separate ways. Regardless of who you like the most - transferring to who YOU blame the most - really doesn't matter at the end of the day. Every member of the band played a part in the split.

I didnt know that Slash and Izzy didn't get along though, that was interesting to find out.

The old band is amazing live. Even if you hate Axl and blame him for everything that has ever happened badly in the world, I don't know how you could bash this band on tour right now. They were a well oiled machine when i saw them. Axl and the entire band was having an absolute BLAST on stage. DJ may look like a douche, but he is awesome live. He brought a little boy up on stage, he left the stage and went over to the seating area and was shaking hands with people, he is a lot of fun on stage. Bumble is a beast, he sent his guitar into the crowd and let people play it during a song. Axl's voice is as strong as I've ever heard it live. They are putting on 3 hour shows, and playing 7 songs off of Chinese.

It is OK to love BOTH bands. Really it is.

To love the current band is NO disrespect to the old band. It really isn't.

To hate on the new band or to hate on Axl doesn't make you cooler or more rock-n-roll...it just makes you look bitter.

Izzy is doing his thing, and has joined Axl and the new band on stage.

Duff has loaded, Velvet, and has oepned and joined Axl and the current band on stage.

Slash has his solo stuff and Velvet.

Axl is on tour, putting on 3 hour shows, giving fans a taste of the classics and also half of their last album live.

Axl is doing tv and newspaper interviews, and the shows are starting in under an hour after the opening band.

Life is good.

gnrfan2007 is bordering on retarded. Seriously...absolutely false; particularly his bullshit of people who were GNR fans being "laughed at" after 1992.

What a doofus.

I never thought I would see a more annoying member than Volcano, but +1 on this. gnrfan2007... I'm speechless. Retarded is a very very big understatement.

- Slash would not let Axl change anything on the Snakepit material......actually Axl turned down the material when it was offered so Slash created Snakepit with Gilby so Axl had his chance

So we are in agreement. Slash left because Axl did not want Snakepit to be the next GnR album. :thumbsup:

Slash did indeed only wanted his Snakepit songs as-as and unmodified. It was indeed: my way or the highway.

Look what happened with VR. Scott Weiland got more creative control on Libertad and Slash cried. Scott Weiland got fired. And I paraphrase quote from Slash himself: "The next VR singer must singer exactly to what I create."

Well accroding to Slash's book the main reason he left was because Axl wanted to put him on a contract.

Also while Slash may have fallen out with Wieland, how many guitarits has Axl fallen out with? He is at least as caulpable as Slash?

Indeed I think it was Axl's determination to take control that led to the demise of the original line up and frankly most of the nu-line ups too.

- Slash and Duff fired Steven....Nobody knows who was the driving force behind Stevens firing but all signs point to Axl being the instigator. Slash and Duff were pussy's back then which is why Axl got away with the shit the did..also Axl fired Gilby and before Duff left wanted to fire Matt which is one of the reason Duff quit as the band ceased to be a partnership

So I guess you didn't read Steven Adler article I sourced huh? Steven blamed everybody, but the person he blamed the most - at the time - was Slash. And it was indeed Slash and Duff who brought Matt Sorum into the GnR fold. And Axl regrets allowing Sorum into the band.

Gilby was never a *member* of the band. Gilby was as important as the backup girl singers. He was brought in for the tours only. But his style of music was never Axl's cup of tea.

So we agree again: Duff left on his own accord :thumbsup:

So you think Duff just got up one day and decided he didn't want to be in GnR anymore? Or perhaps he was unhappy about Axl taking sole control of the musical direction of the band? Had he been an employee it might be termed contructive dismiisal.

- Izzy left because he did not get along with Slash musically..no actually Izzy has stated in interviews the main reason he left GnR was Axl's late starts, Axl's attempt to get him to sign a contract cutting his percentage and his need to get away from all the drug use as he was finally sober and on probation for peeing on the plane.

So Axl's late start on the UYI tour affected Izzy's ability to write and record music on UYIs and all future GnR albums right?

Axl's late start was why Slash re-recorded all Izzy's parts on UYIs right?

Axl's late start explains why Izzy did not like Matt or Slash's style of music right?

Axl's late start on the UYI tours affected Izzy's desire to do a long tour, but it had nothing to do with his desire to create music as part of GnR anymore.

GnR was no longer his and Axl's band anymore. So, Izzy left for the same reason Slash and Duff left: CREATIVE DIFFERENCES

GnR was not Axl's band to begin with? They were a band where everybody contributed. When Axl tried to turn it in to his band that's when things went wrong.

At the time didn't Izzy say that you got 4 guys all pointing the finger at one guy? I.e him, slash, duff ans steve all blaming Axl and Axl blaming everybidy else.

So it seems at least at that time Izzzy did blame Axl for his exit?

- and the knee slapper of them all is old GNR was never respected............The grunge movement had an issue with Axl's overblown stage shows and after show party's not the bands original music. AFD Era Guns was one of the most influential bands of their era and still influences bands today

Not really dude.

Why you think Axl gave that rant against *alternative bands* and in particular Kurt Cobain?

None of the alternative bands at the time liked GnR. They bashed GnR.

None of those alternative bands list GnR as one of their big influences.

Anybody who was into the alternative music at the time, hated GnR from AFD to UYI.

Post-1992, if you were still blasting GnR's music on your stereo and wearing GnR clothing, you would be laughed at.

Think about this: even VR with Scott Weiland was not liked by people who are into NEW ROCK or old alternative rock fans.

Dude I was around in 92 and GnR were pretty much the biggest rock band on the planet back them/ure there was some antipathy from the Grunge movement but are you saying that Grunge was the sole arbiter of cool (if so I disagree).

As for having no influence on Grunge well I think Grunge wa a reaction to the glam/stadium rock GnR did so it did have an influence? I liked some of the Grunge bands but I don't see why you have to make a black n white choice between them just because Cobain tried to grad a few headlines by striking a pose against GnR

Edited by Lines&Noses

Great post Lines.

It will fall on deaf ears though.

Get ready to be accused of trying to "rewrite history."

Don't you know that everything bad that ever happened to GnR is because of Axl? Heck, even the budget crisis, skyrocketing national debt and the cluster that was the war in Iraq.....all Axl's fault.

And the fact that you said some positive things about Axl just shows that you are a Nutter who blindly worships Axl, and you are retarded, you have no taste in music, and you are insulting the legacy of the old band.

Sarcasm aside, great post!!!!

I loved the old group of guys and I love the current band. I know that ALL the members of the old band contributed to their split. And the fact that Izzy and Duff are willing to go onstage with the current group shows that all the "fued" and "blame this guy" crap is primarily just fan-based and not actually the real lives of those people who are actually involved!!!!

I am thankful for all the music those various groups of produced. And look forward to seeing what they come up with in the future - GnR, VR, solo projects, etc.

Great post Lines.

Don't you know that everything bad that ever happened to GnR is because of Axl? Heck, even the budget crisis, skyrocketing national debt and the cluster that was the war in Iraq.....all Axl's fault.

And the fact that you said some positive things about Axl just shows that you are a Nutter who blindly worships Axl, and you are retarded, you have no taste in music, and you are insulting the legacy of the old band.

I loved the old group of guys and I love the current band. I know that ALL the members of the old band contributed to their split. And the fact that Izzy and Duff are willing to go onstage with the current group shows that all the "fued" and "blame this guy" crap is primarily just fan-based and not actually the real lives of those people who are actually involved!!!!

I am thankful for all the music those various groups of produced. And look forward to seeing what they come up with in the future - GnR, VR, solo projects, etc.

umm Groghan sorry but only the lower parts of the post are mine I was defending the old band.

I don't pretend it was black and white though. Axl's statement that it was a war from day 1 with him and Slash and how he was told to just shut up and sing (if thats not a contradiction in terms), shows.

If the old band did reunite for just one show that's one thing, but if they were to start recording again it would have to be on an equal basis with no one in sole control that is the only way they will rediscover their chemistry.

As for the nu-band its not that I hate them, seen them in 2002, 2006 (twice) and 2010 (the show with Duff!!). The warm up gig in 06 at Hammersmith is one of the bes shows I've ever seen. But the AFD line upwere my favourite band ever their music moved me in a way no other band has, I can't help but want them to reunite. I also bought Chi Dem the day of its release.

I fully respect that many people prefer the Chi Dem material and I don't really see why Axl couldn't continue with that? (indeed it would be the closest you could get to keeping everyone happy).

The only problem I see or fans of Chi-Dem and I'm not trying ot be facetious here, most of the musicians who wrote that record have moved on?

So what is it you you want to see, the current line up covering the Chi Dem material or new material from the current line up?

If its the latter who's to say what it' going to be like? indeed if anything it would seems the aqddition of DJ signals a return to the more blues rock sound that most of the Chi Dem fans don't like so much?

Great post Lines.

umm Groghan sorry but only the lower parts of the post are mine I was defending the old band.

I don't pretend it was black and white though. Axl's statement that it was a war from day 1 with him and Slash and how he was told to just shut up and sing (if thats not a contradiction in terms), shows.

If the old band did reunite for just one show that's one thing, but if they were to start recording again it would have to be on an equal basis with no one in sole control that is the only way they will rediscover their chemistry.

As for the nu-band its not that I hate them, seen them in 2002, 2006 (twice) and 2010 (the show with Duff!!). The warm up gig in 06 at Hammersmith is one of the bes shows I've ever seen. But the AFD line upwere my favourite band ever their music moved me in a way no other band has, I can't help but want them to reunite. I also bought Chi Dem the day of its release.

I fully respect that many people prefer the Chi Dem material and I don't really see why Axl couldn't continue with that? (indeed it would be the closest you could get to keeping everyone happy).

The only problem I see or fans of Chi-Dem and I'm not trying ot be facetious here, most of the musicians who wrote that record have moved on?

So what is it you you want to see, the current line up covering the Chi Dem material or new material from the current line up?

If its the latter who's to say what it' going to be like? indeed if anything it would seems the aqddition of DJ signals a return to the more blues rock sound that most of the Chi Dem fans don't like so much?

No thanks. I want new stuff, I don't need more AFD. Time to go into a new direction.

Great post Lines.

No thanks. I want new stuff, I don't need more AFD. Time to go into a new direction.

Fair enough but what direction do you want to see? Do you want to see the rest of the chi dem material released even though it has very little to do with the current line up?

Or do you want to see a new direction entirely if so which one?

What legacy,artistic integrity and respect? The only people who feel that way about the new band are people like you and me. Lets be honest here, if Axl reunited, put out an original album and toured with the old band? THEN he'd get those things you say he has now. Most of the world's giving him the finger over keeping the name and replacing the members and the ONLY way they'll forgive the guy is if he reunites.

Sad but true.

1. Axl did not REPLACE - ie. FIRE - any of the old guys.

Slash and Duff both left on their own accord.

Go re-read the LA times interview. Slash from Day 1 wanted Axl to join his band, when it was in fact Axl who invited and hired Slash to join his band. Slash wanted his Snakepit songs - as-is, unmodified - to be the next GnR album, and Axl refused. So Slash left.

Steven was a heroine addict, and his substance abuse was affecting the sound and recording on the UYI records. And don't forget, it was Slash and Duff who replaced Steven with Matt Sorum. Now that Steven is sober, he understands why he was fired. Steven has said, that at the time, the person who hurt him the most, the one who he blamed the most for his firing, was Slash. In regards to Axl, Steven says: he’s been so generous and loving to me.

See http://love-it-loud.com/news/steven-adler-discusses-being-fired-from-guns-n-roses/

Izzy left on his accord for various reasons. The three biggest reasons we know are: 1) he doesn't like touring and the big spotlight, and 2) he didn't like the change in sound due to Matt's drumming, and 3) Slash and him, never really got along from a creative music point of view from the start. Slash was like Joe Perry with heavy distortion, and Izzy was more like Bob Dylan and Keith Richards. Izzy never wanted Slash to join the band. He stormed out during Slash's audition and was pissed at Axl for inviting Slash to join the band.

As Axl stated, it was a battle to get Slash and Izzy to work together on the UYI records. And here's a quote from Slash himself:

During Appetite..., Lies and Use Your... I had to put up with Izzy the whole time. I never liked playing with him. It was wonderful to escape him on this record. It sounds tighter and so much cooler than anything we've done before. I always got irritated over Izzy's way of playing. It didn't sound right. Before "Spaghetti", we erased his guitar and Gilby put on a new one. It sounded perfect!"

See http://heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=13

One of the reasons why Axl can not forgive Slash and calls him a CANCER is because Slash has spread lies to make people like you believe it was Axl who fired everybody! When it fact, it has always been Axl who tried to get everyone to work as a band.

Now go listen to "Sorry" from CD.

2. OLD-GnR was never respected as ARTISTS or MUSICIANS.

Nobody with any musical talent or understanding of pop culture history gives a crap about the OLD band!

They may have sold a lot of records with AFD and UYI, but selling records and artistic respect are two different things.

Justin Bieber, Britany Spears, and Lady Gaga sell a lot of records. But do people respect them artistically?

That is why when the alternative era hit, OLD-GnR got thrown out to the trash gutter, and a lot people bashed GnR, from the media, to musicians, and to the general public.

Kurt Cobain pukes when hears GnR music. Eddie Vedder can't relate to GnR's music. RHCP couldn't figure out how GnR became successful. Trent Reznor pokes fun at GnR fans. Even Moby was reluctant to give CD a listen!

And if you knew people who grew up in the 1990's, you will know that being a GnR fan post-1992 was so UN-COOL!

It took a lot of convincing on Axl's part to even get the CD lineup assembled, because nobody with any artistic integrity wanted to be associated with the GnR brand in the late-1990s.

When you study pop culture and music, nobody even mentions OLD-GnR. They may say something about heavy metal and hair bands from the '80s, but then they jump right into the subject of Nirvana and Pearl Jam and the alternative era of NEW ROCK and NEW MUSIC that began in 1991.

No music historian or critics ever lists OLD-GnR in their top 100 most influential musicians of all time!

On NEW ROCK radio stations, OLD-GnR songs never make any top 100 countdowns. But songs by the RHCP and Beastie Boys do, and they are even older than OLD-GnR!

At best, some people refer to OLD-GnR as a "transitional band" from the old classical rock sound to the hard rock sound of the alternative/grunge era. Being known as a transitional band, is not something to be proud of.

So where you get this idea that OLD-GnR is actually respected artistically is beyond me.

People who don't like GnR today, don't like them because they still associate the GnR *brand* with the 1987-1992 brand.

That is the challenge that the NEW-GnR faces. They have to overcome that bias and negative-stereotype people associate with the old BRAND of GnR. And it will only change once GnR releases music videos and does more mainstream live shows and interview in the USA market.

So to claim that if Axl suddenly has a change of heart and invites Slash and Duff back into the band, GnR would magically have more success than what they are having now, is not only FACT-less but absurd!

Having Slash and Duff back in the band would be the quickest path to IRRELEVANCY and DEATH for GnR.

With the masterpiece that is CD, not only is GnR close to being the biggest band in the world again, they are doing it so with more ARTISTIC INTEGRITY and RESPECT from other musicians from all genres of NEW MUSIC.

GNRFan2007:

YOU COULDN'T BE MORE FUCKING WRONG.

I enjoy new GNR quite a bit, but to say they are considered cooler, are better thought of by critics and that they would sell more than a re-united old GNR is true only in an alternate universe created in your own mind.

I was in high school when Appetite came out. This was in an era when kids who listened to Ratt, Poison, Motley Crue, etc. sat on one side of the cafeteria and the "smart" kids sat on the other side and listened to U2. When GNR came out, they transcended these cliques. They were just bad ass and extremely cool. They were absolutely huge and nobody mocked them.

The same is true with Lies and the anticipation for the Illusions was enormous.

When the Illusions came out, it was an event. I was in College and went with about 20 guys to a record store and waited in line with about 250 people for a midnight sale the Tuesday it came out. This was true all over the country. If you want validation, here is a clip of one of those midnight sales in a small town: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QCLOaTiGKM

GNR sold out huge stadiums. They were massive. After about 3 years of consecutive MTV airplay and touring, there was definitely a need for a break from GNR from the general public. By no means though did GNR shift from cool to uncool...they still got plenty of airplay on classic rock and "new rock" stations everywhere.

While Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. were all very "cool," they didn't displace GNR. Bands like Skid Row became extinct, but GNR was still absolutely enormous; just dormant.

As for your assertion that they weren't respected by critics, you are high. They were very respected then and now. The album reviews of the Illusions were great and Appetite was highly regarded. Did the Rolling Stones pick a lot of bands to go on stage with them and sing after one album? In 1989, the Stones brought them on stage to sign Salt of the Earth, which is something the Rolling Stones didn't do for any band of that era. They were basically crowning them as the Stones of their generation. Maybe you don't think the opinion of the Rolling Stones means anything.

In 1990 Appetite was voted the 27th best album on the top 100 list of the 80's by Rolling Stone Magazine (I though that was a little low).

Rolling Stone voted Appetite 62 on the top 500 albums of all time. I'm sure you will dismiss Rolling Stone Magazine as irrelevant, despite being the most respected rock magazine out there.

Rolling Stone readers recently voted Appetite the #2 album of the 80's.

To sum up and dismiss your ridiculous fictional point that "new GNR is more criitically acclaimed," the reviews on Rolling Stone of the Appetite and the Illusions are 5 stars.

Chinese Democracy got three.

Universally Appetite and the Illusions were were critically rated much better than Chinese Democracy.

Without a doubt the albums sold worlds better than Chinese Democracy. Without a doubt the 1987-1993 version of GNR sold out 60,000 seat stadiums.....today's version plays in 10,000 seat venues and can't sell them out.

"New Rock" radio stations still play old GNR...I haven't heard anything from Chinese Democracy on the radio since October, 2008.

Everyone then thought GNR was cool....if I bring GNR up to people today, they consider it a fucking joke.

Sorry, Old GNR was HUGE from a sales perspective, critically, airplay and any way you want to cut it. I don't know anyone other than me who owns Chinese Democracy or even knows a song on it....I also don't know many people besides hardcore fans who want to see new GNR. If Slash were back though, I guarantee they could open the fucking Super Bowl.

Your post wins dumbest of the year.

One of the best posts that I have ever read on this board. Thank you

Great post Lines.

Fair enough but what direction do you want to see? Do you want to see the rest of the chi dem material released even though it has very little to do with the current line up?

Yup, I want the rest of Chi Dem released. As for the new direction... I dunno. Something totally new. I love surprises.

The truth lies somewhere in between IMHO. It is undeniable that there was a SEVERE popular backlash agains Old Guns in 93-94. The reality is that Cobain smelled "blood in the water" with Old Guns and decided that rather than kiss Axl's ring he'd spit in his face (figuratively) and kick the door down on the whole damn thing in the hopes that GN'R would literally be erased from history- and he came damn near close to doing it.

Seems to me it was only after grunge had run its own course and become a parody of itself with crap bands like Creed that people started to turn their attention back ever so slightly to what Axl was up to and begrudgingly acknowledge that Old Guns had not been all bad and had actually produced some classic tunes. This would have been around 1999 when the SPIN feature on Axl and Guns came out. Whatever the case- even if Old Guns had stayed together it would have been some very tough sledding for them in mid/late 90s alternative scene where they were seemingly public enemy #1.

All that being said- I DO agree with the notion that there's been some major rehabilitation of Old Guns' image in recent years (see Greatest Hits sales) and that any kind of reunion in this "post-grunge" landscape would be a MASSIVE success. However, that would be dependent upon Old Guns successfully keeping it together long enough to tour and throw together an album to tour behind, etc. and that's where the whole thing falls apart IMHO. Just don't see them being able to do it.

In light of that- the best thing for Axl and Guns is to keep doing what they've been doing IMHO and to hopefully get some new music out that they properly promote and that maybe has a bit of DJ's commercial touch to it. They almost certainly won't ever be as HUGE as Old Guns- but I think they can have much more success and acceptance than they did with CD if they actually roll it out properly this time...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

Great post Lines.

Yup, I want the rest of Chi Dem released. As for the new direction... I dunno. Something totally new. I love surprises.

Well somehow or other I think the rest of Chi Dem will be released I can't see Axl shelving it after working on it for so long.

As for the new was there is always an element of excitement, but its unlikely to be anything like Chi Dem? Like I said with DJ on baord surely the direction is back toward more mainstream rock would you be happy with that?

GNRFan isn't totally off his rocker.

For a lot of young musicians, even rock musicians, GNR like never happened. History stopped at Led Zepplin/Floyd, and re-started again with Pearl Jam/Nirvana.

None of the dozens and dozens of commercial music majors in the college I work with ever talk highly of Guns N' Roses. It's "haha, guns n' roses".

Edit: And it's their loss.

Edited by Gagarin

The truth lies somewhere in between IMHO. It is undeniable that there was a SEVERE popular backlash agains Old Guns in 93-94. The reality is that Cobain smelled "blood in the water" with Old Guns and decided that rather than kiss Axl's ring he'd spit in his face (figuratively) and kick the door down on the whole damn thing in the hopes that GN'R would literally be erased from history- and he came damn near close to doing it.

Seems to me it was only after grunge had run its own course and become a parody of itself with crap bands like Creed that people started to turn their attention back ever so slightly to what Axl was up to and begrudgingly acknowledge that Old Guns had not been all bad and had actually produced some classic tunes. This would have been around 1999 when the SPIN feature on Axl and Guns came out. Whatever the case- even if Old Guns had stayed together it would have been some very tough sledding for them in mid/late 90s alternative scene where they were seemingly public enemy #1.

All that being said- I DO agree with the notion that there's been some major rehabilitation of Old Guns' image in recent years (see Greatest Hits sales) and that any kind of reunion in this "post-grunge" landscape would be a MASSIVE success. However, that would be dependent upon Old Guns successfully keeping it together long enough to tour and throw together an album to tour behind, etc. and that's where the whole thing falls apart IMHO. Just don't see them being able to do it.

In light of that- the best thing for Axl and Guns is to keep doing what they've been doing IMHO and to hopefully get some new music out that they properly promote and that maybe has a bit of DJ's commercial touch to it. They almost certainly won't ever be as HUGE as Old Guns- but I think they can have much more success and acceptance than they did with CD if they actually roll it out properly this time...

Well I can only speak fro personal experience but I and most rock fans I knew liked both bands? The fact that Kurt and Axl has their public spats didn't bother me one bit you think I am gonna stop likeing Gund coz Kurt tells me or vice versa?

Also you say that old guns couldn't keep it together for an album and tour? What do you think the problem would be? They are all producing albums (apart fro Steve) and touring individually and they must know to make the thing work they need the old dynamic where everybody contributes and nobody in sole artistic control.

Like I say have Axl live 4 times in the 2000's he's clearly still got it, Izzy and Slash still have that synergy going just listen to "Ghost" from Slash's solo album. So long as they wanted to make it work (and why would you go into a reunion if you didn't) then I see no reason why it wouldn't?

Lines --

What would you expect from a reunion though? Not a repeat of Appetite. A group of 50 year old millionaires isn't going to recapture the "raw energy" that people keep saying the old band has, and the current band doesn't. It seems the creative music differences showed its ugly face on Illusions. What I wonder is wouldn't that still be the case today???

I found both VR records to be quite boring and very generic rock. Is Axl going to be happy doing those types of songs?

Is Slash going to be happy for the Catchers, TWATS, Prostitutes, Sorrys, Madagascars of the world that Axl loves?

I'm just not so sure that the "magic" would return if you put this group of people together. They had magic in bottle, a perfect storm created at just the right time and they produced a couple masterpieces of music. But at the end, they were fighting and bickering and everybody wanting to do different styles of music. Do you think that now, 15 years later, that group would get together and magically created legendary album? Now, at 45-50 years old, millions in the bank.......as compared to being 25 years old and living day by day on the streets. Aren't you a different person now than you were 20 years ago?

As for your questions. I'm an Axl fan, so I just want to hear songs that he sings on. With the Finck/Bucket crew? Yes. With the current crew? Yes. With a polka band? Yes. I don't care who it is with, I just want to hear the music that is created. It doesn't bother me that Slash recorded and performed with Fergie.........I think it's great when artists take a chance. I just think the end product with that ended up being an absolute disaster. So I'm not hung up on who is in GnR, which guitar player wrote what, who contributed to what song. I just want to hear songs.

Lines --

What would you expect from a reunion though? Not a repeat of Appetite. A group of 50 year old millionaires isn't going to recapture the "raw energy" that people keep saying the old band has, and the current band doesn't. It seems the creative music differences showed its ugly face on Illusions. What I wonder is wouldn't that still be the case today???

Not a repeat no, but the evolution of? LikeI say I really liked ghost on Slash's last album and the first VR record with Axl's vocals/lyrics I think it would been outstanding.

I found both VR records to be quite boring and very generic rock. Is Axl going to be happy doing those types of songs?

Is Slash going to be happy for the Catchers, TWATS, Prostitutes, Sorrys, Madagascars of the world that Axl loves?

Agree with you about the 2nd VR record being poor. If there was a reunion I think they would concentrate on the material they wrote together can't see Axl going any VR stuff nor the old band doing much of Chi Dem.

Plus of the songs listed only Sorry is played live regularly anyway, no not sure Axl is a fan of doing those songs live?

I'm just not so sure that the "magic" would return if you put this group of people together. They had magic in bottle, a perfect storm created at just the right time and they produced a couple masterpieces of music. But at the end, they were fighting and bickering and everybody wanting to do different styles of music. Do you think that now, 15 years later, that group would get together and magically created legendary album? Now, at 45-50 years old, millions in the bank.......as compared to being 25 years old and living day by day on the streets. Aren't you a different person now than you were 20 years ago?

Yes of course, I am different person now than I was 10 years ago when most of Chi Dem was recorded? All I can say is that based on the first VR record and Izzy's work with Slash on his last solo album I really do think they still have it. That's what's driving me crazy.

As for your questions. I'm an Axl fan, so I just want to hear songs that he sings on. With the Finck/Bucket crew? Yes. With the current crew? Yes. With a polka band? Yes. I don't care who it is with, I just want to hear the music that is created. It doesn't bother me that Slash recorded and performed with Fergie.........I think it's great when artists take a chance. I just think the end product with that ended up being an absolute disaster. So I'm not hung up on who is in GnR, which guitar player wrote what, who contributed to what song. I just want to hear songs.

OK well I probably am being a little facetios here but if you don't mind who is in the band then can I take it you would be happy with a reunion too?

Edited by Lines&Noses

Great post Lines.

Please write longer paragraphs ,a novel shouldn't be this short. :chef:

• 2 weeks later...

Some people on here have mentioned that Guns would draw much better if Slash and Duff were in the mix and some argue otherwise. That's a no brainer! There is no doubt that shows would sell out. I am a firm believer that if Slash and Duff were involved with CD it would've sold many more copies. Much of the US has given up on Guns because it's not the nuts and bolts of what most people view as Guns N' Roses.

Just for the record, I love CD. I like anything with Axl's voice. I also like VR albums and Slash's solo stuff because I enjoy Slash's playing. However, most people aren't open minded and they never gave CD a chance without the main characters. It sucks but it's reality.

Friends I grew up with that were raised on AFD like many of us never even bought CD because "it's not Guns N' Roses". So, until they get together again Axl will never sell enough records to be considered the greatest band on Earth again.... neither will Slash.

I still love G N' R as they are today, but unfortunately I am in the minority among rock enthusiasts. I'm not sure that will ever change. It would be like Aerosmith without Joe Perry. Or Led Zeppelin without Jimmy Page. Or the Stones without Keith Richards. Or ACDC without Angus Young. Or... well, you get the picture.

All great bands but mostly known for great frontmen and great guitar players with character.