Axl FINALLY has the right managemnt

CoolRanchDressing

look no offense but suge knight was a record label CEO and did not have much more experience than being a drug dealer.

I think Beta and co. can handle managing the band. It'll certainly be better than Axl and a manager pulling in two different directions regardless of their professional accomplishments.

Edited by tange

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't like them, not true professionals

They haven't taken the Music Management school? I am sure many established music managers haven't...Whether people are professional in that position depends on how well they do their job, and after 20 years with Axl it could very well be that they are more than up for the task.

They haven't taken the Music Management school? I am sure many established music managers haven't...Whether people are professional in that position depends on how well they do their job, and after 20 years with Axl it could very well be that they are more than up for the task.

They have expertise in a wide range of areas including contract law, accounting/finance, management, and importantly, people skills.

You're talking about Beta now? But after working part-time as a manager and assistant for 20 years for Axl I think it fits her, too.

They have expertise in a wide range of areas including contract law, accounting/finance, management, and importantly, people skills.

And the right connections! In my mind this is like your average middle-aged woman up against Ari Gold types. She might have been with GNR for a long while, but she would have had more credibility if she had managed smaller band and worked her way up that way.

Azoff was the only decent manager gnr have had since Niven , he actually released new music.

I think he's a good manager, but I think his "reunion miracle worker" ego and Ticketmaster calling on him to run the company kind of made that fail.Axl might be tough, but Irving's got the short man syndrome on top of being a far more powerful guy. He, Geffen, Mottola, Yetnikoff were part of a group of producers that wrangled the entertainment industry free from mafia dons, so for someone who dealt with Axl, didn't faze him one bit. And I think once Axl realized that his own lawyers didn't stand a chance against this guy, he just said fuck it and did the tour, but it actually proved to be a good thing, he's become more accessible, the website's being revamped, they're actually trying to find additional ways of making money that they never would've done 3 years ago, he's not relying on industry heavyweights to figure out tour logistics, and the band's enthusiastic to work on new music.

Even if Azoff and Rose went toe to toe in the courtroom and Axl lost the fight, it actually turned out to be a good thing, plus being on the road as the RRHOF induction came out, only helps the band.

And the right connections! In my mind this is like your average middle-aged woman up against Ari Gold types. She might have been with GNR for a long while, but she would have had more credibility if she had managed smaller band and worked her way up that way.

Connections. That's a good point. The bad thing is that you've heard how Axl and co. have burned a lot of bridges of the past few years with managers, execs, etc..

And that is why Axl needs an "Ari Gold" and not a lady who has learned the whole business through the eyes of Axl Rose.

You're talking about Beta now? But after working part-time as a manager and assistant for 20 years for Axl I think it fits her, too.

No, I'm not. I'm not sure she has the background other than being Axl's personal assistant or whatever you want to call it. This could end badly.

Yes, it could. Don't misunderstand, I am not convinced this is a smart decision at all, but I don't think it is fair to underestimate her or to overestimate what it takes to be a music manager.

Edited by SoulMonster

Imagine being a record exec with years in the business and then Axl's adopted housekeeping grandmother walks in and starts talking hardball to you. I'd point to a mop and say get to work Chico.

Truth.

Ever see "Get Him To The Greek?" I"m sure Fernando watched that movie and related to it. She does all the stuff he did, but is more like a Chief Operations Officer for GNR as well as a confidant. She keeps him able to focus on creating and performing, so he doesn't have to be preoccupied with business as much. Artists are usually horrible businessmen anyway.

Beta came to America as a nanny, but she was an exec assistant in Brazil for a company. She could work at any Fortune 500 corporate HQ. I'm sure when it comes to the Latin America tours, he was relying a lot more on her than in North America when it came to the contracts and small details.

Record execs didn't have any clue how to handle the change in music distribution 10 years ago. They were the ones fighting change. All the social media stuff that keeps GNR in touch with the fans? The record companies had NOTHING to do with that. The website renovation and VIP tix are by a fairly new company, as well as streaming the concerts and charging the way you would for a Pay Per View event. Prince threw his hands up at doing this at the wrong time - had he gone independent now, it would've been run way more better than his "throw it at the wall and see what sticks" method through the 90s and 00s.

I think her age and Axl calling her "mom" just shows that he respects her and feels that if she leaves, he's completely fucked. Don Corleone had Tom as his consigliere, that's pretty much Beta.

I'm not going to say anything about Beta as a manager. Time will tell. However a manager is meant to be a liaison between artist and label. It's common knowledge that Guns and the label have been at war for a very long time. It is give and take, there is some compromise, there always has been in this business. Question is, how is Beta going to gain leverage over the label to put out another album? Previous managers probably attempted to by dangling the reunion card over the label's head's but Axl wouldn't budge. So what is Beta going to use as leverage? The label made back the money they sunk into the recording sessions(even made a decent profit) and it's clear they are in no way rushing to put out CD II, especially at the scale Axl wants it done at. His MIA status after the botched release of CD I certainly doesn't make things easier either...

Ever see "Get Him To The Greek?" I"m sure Fernando watched that movie and related to it. She does all the stuff he did, but is more like a Chief Operations Officer for GNR as well as a confidant. She keeps him able to focus on creating and performing, so he doesn't have to be preoccupied with business as much. Artists are usually horrible businessmen anyway.

Beta came to America as a nanny, but she was an exec assistant in Brazil for a company. She could work at any Fortune 500 corporate HQ. I'm sure when it comes to the Latin America tours, he was relying a lot more on her than in North America when it came to the contracts and small details.

What are you basing that on?

Don Corleone had Tom as his consigliere, that's pretty much Beta.

Tom wasn't a wartime consigliere ;)

i dont care if Jesus Christ came down to manage axl, they are doing good now, what i see it as what Axl wants VS fans want.. We want a new record ( for the most part) Axl being the perfectionist cant take even 3 yrs to release it; the way i see it needs to be released sooner than later even with imperfections

crazyguy out

What are you basing that on?

Don Corleone had Tom as his consigliere, that's pretty much Beta.

Tom wasn't a wartime consigliere ;)

Or a Sicilian

They have been running things for a long time. They will also save 15% that they would have to had paid someone else to do the things that they have already been telling a manger to do. I know that sounded a bit twisted but what I'm trying to say is that they are the ones who have been running things anyways, so why pay the extra cash. It will free up money to get more things done.

Edited by recklessroad

They have been running things for a long time. They will also save 15% that they would have to had paid someone else to do the things that they have already been telling a manger to do. I know that sounded a bit twisted but what I'm trying to say is that they are the ones who have been running things anyways, so why pay the extra cash. It will free up money to get more things done.

So were the mis-steps that were blamed on management actually Brazilian problems?

Thanks for the info, Marc. It certainly seems pointless to keep paying a 15 percent commission to management that at best doesn't manage an at worst tries to sabotage an artist's success. In addition to saving that money, they'll also save themselves the endless hassles and frustrations that come with trying to deal with someone who's not in your trusted inner circle. This is the best thing that's happened to GNR since...

Marc, you don't really think that Beta would have left Axl do you? Like how she told him she'd leave him if he didn't let her manage the band officially. I really think that had to be a bluff. I'm sure she loves him just as much as he loves her. Well, nobody could love anyone that much lol, but still, you get what I'm saying. The threat to leave him was just a good example of her negotating skills right? Because if she ever did leave Axl I think that would really be the end of Guns N' Roses. I do not want that to happen.

*Gunsguy edited post* *Homophobic and bashing post has been removed*

Do you have any actual proof that Fernando is homosexual? Or are you just using the concept of someone's sexuality as a way to put them down? Because that'd be sophomoric and hurtful.

We can disagree about which songs we like from a band. We can even disagree about issues like management, that we really don't know too much about in the first place. But I hope we can refrain from being mean and homophobic. It's totally not necessary.

Edited by gunsguy

Thanks for the info, Marc. It certainly seems pointless to keep paying a 15 percent commission to management that at best doesn't manage an at worst tries to sabotage an artist's success. In addition to saving that money, they'll also save themselves the endless hassles and frustrations that come with trying to deal with someone who's not in your trusted inner circle. This is the best thing that's happened to GNR since...

Marc, you don't really think that Beta would have left Axl do you? Like how she told him she'd leave him if he didn't let her manage the band officially. I really think that had to be a bluff. I'm sure she loves him just as much as he loves her. Well, nobody could love anyone that much lol, but still, you get what I'm saying. The threat to leave him was just a good example of her negotating skills right? Because if she ever did leave Axl I think that would really be the end of Guns N' Roses. I do not want that to happen.

Someone who was a personal assistant to Axl for as long as she's been? She'd get a lot of offers and double what she makes. Trust is a big f-ing deal in a city where inside info is bought and sold daily.

I'm sure she threatened to leave because she has to hear him complain about how he got ripped off - AGAIN. Axl's even the one who said it's not rocket science.

Prince is doing just fine keeping the management team small and prob. pays his band the same that Axl pays GNR. Both are kind of eccentric, both kind of reclusive, and both enjoy the interaction of a live band and the audience to feed off of. Big difference is how long they both take in the studio,and Prince never had to argue over his name...oh wait, the "slave" and symbol thing... nevermind.

Jon Landau was just a music critic (for Rolling Stone, funny enough), and helped Bruce Springsteen out when he tried to get out of a bad contract in the mid 70s. Now he's the guy running the RRHOF, but he had zero experience as a manager. He wound up taking on other artists much later in the 90s, and Springsteen had gone through his own changes at the time.