Ron should be the sole lead guitar player

MJG

What does everyone think? I think Bumble should be the sole lead guitarist of this band. At least until they start doing new material. I'd give Richard the first Nightrain solo and everything else to Ron.

MJG: Have you seen THIS band live?

If so, I don't get how you can think that ANY change would be an improvement.

Things are SO right, at this moment, we are living in a great period of band history.

I must fully agree with Drakestar on this. :thumbsup:

holy crap the shit you people come up with here is insane

how about when you get your own band, you designate who plays which parts of your own material

Are you serious?! hahahahaha

I like the variety of the three guys.

So will I when they are playing their own stuff. I think DJ is a KILLER guitar player on the Beautiful Creatures album and the SixxAM stuff. I don't like his take on Slash/Robin/Bucket though. Show me a vid were he nails someone elses solo. I liked his Patience solo from his second gig - that was great. But the rest... His strength is obviously playing in HIS style and his comfort zone (like a lot of players out there). Ron on the other hand is an exceptional talent and NAILS SCOM, YCBM, Civil War Rocket Queen etc etc and puts his own slant on it all too. His tone is awesome and he basically owns any part he plays.

They had a chance to do this with when Robin left. It's obvious that Axl wants 3 guitar players.

He also had a chance to go to one player when BH left.

I have nothing against 3 guitar players and I definitely don't think there should be 1 guitar player! I think that for the current setlist/song rotation Ron should be the lead guitar player. Why do I think this? Watch all the pro-shots out there for this line-up and when it comes to the guys playing Slash/Bucket/Robin - Ron does the best job.

Things are SO right, at this moment, we are living in a great period of band history.

Yes I have seen them live in the flesh. I love this line-up of the band and I like all the guitar players. I just don't have blinkers on like a lot of you on here that think everything is perfect. Who says the guitar parts need to be perfect? I suppose that would be a fair thing for you to say. But who here wouldn't like to hear Ron own the This I Love solo. C'mon - DJ just can't play it. He and Axl even had a joke about it on the first leg of the tour!

'Things are SO right, at this moment, we are living in a great period of band history.'

What a moronic thing to say, you utter simpleton. Once we get some new music from this band, then maybe you'd have a point.

haha you called me a simpleton....not just a simpleton...but an utter simpleton....classic.

This is a great period of time for us, the band is cohesive, everyone gets along, momentum is building, it is a great time.

and to you my dearest internet friend.....

:xmassrudolph:

Happy Holidays!

holy crap the shit you people come up with here is insane

how about when you get your own band, you designate who plays which parts of your own material

Are you serious?! hahahahaha

I like the variety of the three guys.

So will I when they are playing their own stuff. I think DJ is a KILLER guitar player on the Beautiful Creatures album and the SixxAM stuff. I don't like his take on Slash/Robin/Bucket though. Show me a vid were he nails someone elses solo. I liked his Patience solo from his second gig - that was great. But the rest... His strength is obviously playing in HIS style and his comfort zone (like a lot of players out there). Ron on the other hand is an exceptional talent and NAILS SCOM, YCBM, Civil War Rocket Queen etc etc and puts his own slant on it all too. His tone is awesome and he basically owns any part he plays.

They had a chance to do this with when Robin left. It's obvious that Axl wants 3 guitar players.

He also had a chance to go to one player when BH left.

I have nothing against 3 guitar players and I definitely don't think there should be 1 guitar player! I think that for the current setlist/song rotation Ron should be the lead guitar player. Why do I think this? Watch all the pro-shots out there for this line-up and when it comes to the guys playing Slash/Bucket/Robin - Ron does the best job.

Yes I have seen them live in the flesh. I love this line-up of the band and I like all the guitar players. I just don't have blinkers on like a lot of you on here that think everything is perfect. Who says the guitar parts need to be perfect? I suppose that would be a fair thing for you to say. But who here wouldn't like to hear Ron own the This I Love solo. C'mon - DJ just can't play it. He and Axl even had a joke about it on the first leg of the tour!

They put on a great show, don't they? Hope that you enjoyed it! You do make a good point, I think the thing that I disagreed with was the term "sole" as in the only lead, I have no problem with a right player playing the lead in the right song. I'd love to watch each of them showcase thier talent on the songs that suit them best. I just took it to mean that you meant as THE lead (for the whole band on each song). I think that we actually do agree with each other, just from different angles.

This thread has actually been interesting, which is a surprise. At first I thought it was dumb, but your argument is good, and besides some jackass called me a simpleton, which makes entertaining and humourous. have a great break!

Edited by Drakestar

Ron is probably the most gifted axe-man the band has ever had- so I certainly understand the sentiment. That said- he just doesn't have that "Hey fuckers! Look at me! I'm the LEAD guitarist of Guns N' Fuckin' Roses" attitude and stage presence that Slash had and that DJ seems to have these days. Not really a criticism- gotta stay true to yourself- but I do think some of that "alpha-dog" macho LEAD guitar playing style is a necessary ingredient to the GN'R experience- particularly live.

Frankly- I actually like how Ron plays sort of the "secret weapon" role live. You're watching the band and he's kind of hanging back while DJ and Richard are flying all around you and then all of a sudden you hear Ron's guitar cut through everything that's going on and produce this incredible PURE sound spot on perfect- and it's like "Whoah!!! What the fuck was that!?!". It's great "as is" IMHO...

Bumblefoot is a master shredder, no doubt...but he has the stage presence of a wooden plank. imho

haha...maybe your first post should have been a little less polarizing...maybe a nice introduction...

no doubt that DJ is the showman.

both are really nice guys though, that is not a show.

DJ is really important to the band now. He brings a lot more stability to the band than Robin or Buckethead ever brought. He and Axl seem to have bonded. If any guitarist is likely to leave it would be Ron which would be a shame because Ron is amazingly talented.

Edited by BirdCatcher

who here wouldn't like to hear Ron own the This I Love solo. C'mon - DJ just can't play it. He and Axl even had a joke about it on the first leg of the tour!

He did. On one of those livestreams he played the beginning - and it was fuckin' awesome! :thumbsup:

Which show?

I think he meant one of Bumblefoot's live streams. I'd love to see that!

On the topic of the thread, I say leave it be. They all play what's right for them. Splitting up the parts shows there aren't egos and that there's a bond between the guys.

who here wouldn't like to hear Ron own the This I Love solo. C'mon - DJ just can't play it. He and Axl even had a joke about it on the first leg of the tour!

He did. On one of those livestreams he played the beginning - and it was fuckin' awesome! :thumbsup:

Which show?

I think he meant one of Bumblefoot's live streams. I'd love to see that!

On the topic of the thread, I say leave it be. They all play what's right for them. Splitting up the parts shows there aren't egos and that there's a bond between the guys.

No one is upstaging each other. If there's one solo I can see guitarists fight over it would be the SCOM solo and November Rain. Ron got the best parts for most listeners who rather hear a blistering fast guitar solo rather than a slow one.