Pittman on Axl Rose in the studio

vaida

Axl was playing a lot of lead guitar and

experimenting with sounds, and was a damn

creative player. Occasionally he would pipe in 'you

hear that Lusk guitar there?!!' - Pittman

Axl's lead guitar - did any of it make it onto CD ?

If Axl can play guitar, wht dosn't he live ?

like he said during the chats. "skills"

Didn't duff say in his book that Axl was more skilled than izzy after learning guitar for a year in the early 90s, I think Axl is just being modist.

This. Axl could play that pants of Izzy, and if he had the time or energy or desire to practice, I'm sure he could give Slash a run for his money too..

You sir, are a FUCKING IDIOT.

Edited by drtydane

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to hear more of what Axl can do on guitar, and piano...he could put together a solo album (inb4 "BUT CD IS ONE LAWL") playing all the guitar and piano lines himself, that would probably kick ass. And give him more freedom without trying to still fit within the GNR mold, like he brought up in the chats.

Didn't duff say in his book that Axl was more skilled than izzy after learning guitar for a year in the early 90s, I think Axl is just being modist.

This. Axl could play that pants of Izzy, and if he had the time or energy or desire to practice, I'm sure he could give Slash a run for his money too. But singing and songwriting is a full time job. Not to mention having to run/manage the entire band. Axl allowing Izzy to join with him was a supreme act of modesty. Axl could have done everything Izzy did himself if he really wanted/needed to.

uhhhh..... no

This. Axl could play that pants of Izzy, and if he had the time or energy or desire to practice, I'm sure he could give Slash a run for his money too..

You sir, are a FUCKING IDIOT.

I kinda have to agree.

No. there's nothing like that in the book. Duff praised Izzys playing and writing skills.

This. Axl could play that pants of Izzy, and if he had the time or energy or desire to practice, I'm sure he could give Slash a run for his money too. But singing and songwriting is a full time job. Not to mention having to run/manage the entire band. Axl allowing Izzy to join with him was a supreme act of modesty. Axl could have done everything Izzy did himself if he really wanted/needed to.

This is the funniest post i¨ve read here in a very long time. Thank you. You obviously don't know anything about GNR though. Duff's book or some of Axls interviews would be a nice start. Good luck.

Okay obviously we all know that what made Izzy so special was not his technical prowess. The dude worshipped Keith Richards ffs. What made him awesome was the fact that he played something completely different from what Slash was playing at all times pretty much. Duff would then straddle between the two usually, and this sonic clusterfuck would all come together. Plus izzy played the intro solo to Back Off Bitch! A cool as all get-out part, but not hard to play. Izzy was the glue of the old lineup. Axl couldn't replicate that part. Axl is, however, probably a great guitar player if he has the ear to experiment the way Chris says he does. Most guys who suck are afraid to push boundaries and expose their weaknesses.

I don't understand where you people get the idea that Izzy is not an extremely skilled guitarist, both creatively and technically.

Listen to his solo stuff. The dude plays the shit out of his instrument, and is the probably the best songwriter in Guns N' Roses, let alone the most skilled and well rounded musician.

Suggesting Axl could do what Izzy does is laughable. They both are creative forces that are both incredibly different, and had Lord Axl hypothetically not allowed Izzy into the band, the aggression, power, and overall dangerous reality aspect of the band would have been totally lost.

Axl was a shy naive hick from Indiana, and Izzy was the bad assed best friend that made him a man. He was the most essential part of GNR.

Slash was more replaceable than Izzy in the early days IMO.

People often forget a very important factor in songwriting concerning Guns N' Roses.

West Arkeen. A close friend of Axl who was also an amazing guitar player. For example, he wrote the solo to the song The Garden. Slash states in his bio that he had to practice it over and over again, because it was so damn hard to play.

Nobody really knows how good Axl is at guitar.. but saying he is a better guitar player than Izzy and Slash? Come on.

If he shows up on the stage with a guitar and proves us wrong, great! But I don't believe it :P

Izzy > Bumblefoot > 4tus > Buckethead > Tobias > Slash > Ashba > Finck > Gilby

Tobias over Slash???

Paul saved GNR (see Rio 2001) while Slash tried to destroy it.

You could argue Paul destroyed GNR

Maybe YOU could. But Axl feels differently. He stated this clearly at Rio 2001, when he told the crowd there would be no GNR without Paul. So are you calling Axl a liar or an idiot?

Tobias over Slash???

You make it sound like Slash devised an evil plan to destroy the band. It didn't go down like that.

Tobias over Slash???

You make it sound like Slash devised an evil plan to destroy the band. It didn't go down like that.

Slash walked away from the band when Axl needed home most. Slash badmouthed Axl behind his back to anyone and eveyrone he met in the industry. Slash tied Axl's hands with frivolous lawsuits to try and kill the band after he left it. Slash shows up at that New Years Eve show to stir shit. So please don't tell me that Slash's actions over the last decade and a half were meant to help Axl release new music.

Tobias over Slash???

Slash walked away from the band when Axl needed home most. Slash badmouthed Axl behind his back to anyone and eveyrone he met in the industry. Slash tied Axl's hands with frivolous lawsuits to try and kill the band after he left it. Slash shows up at that New Years Eve show to stir shit. So please don't tell me that Slash's actions over the last decade and a half were meant to help Axl release new music.

I didn't say what he was doing is helping Axl release music, but unless if you know him personally or are telepathic and know his intentions you can't say "oh Slash is doing everything he can to destroy GNR and he is evil, etc."

Tobias over Slash???

You could argue Paul destroyed GNR

Maybe YOU could. But Axl feels differently. He stated this clearly at Rio 2001, when he told the crowd there would be no GNR without Paul. So are you calling Axl a liar or an idiot?

Yep

Tobias over Slash???

The one thing that I found interesting about some of the interviews Slash did around that time (especially during VR's promotion) was that he seemed to be letting out alot of the 'behind the scenes stuff that went on in GnR. It was frankly a little surprising to me at the time that he was even going down that rout because I couldn't help but remember the incident when they were opening for the rolling stones.

Didn't Slash make Axl appologise the next night because he didn't like the fact that Axl was airing out their 'dirty laundry'? But hasn't Slash been doing just that?

Perhaps he was just venting his frustrations due to people continiusly bugging him about GnR?

Edited by KiraMPD

Most people on this forum literally have no idea about playing guitar! I would also suggest Axl doesn't either.

GNR is a bluesy rock n roll band, Axl was auditioning metal players, hired a grungy industrial guitarist, had his buddy LEARN to play guitar and join the band, hired an avante garde speed metalist with a bucket on his head, hired a shredder that plays a giant foot and finally went full circle and hired a Slash clone. If he had just hired someone like DJ in 1999, the last 10 years would have been much more straight forward for Axl. This band is enjoying rave reviews at the moment, it's no coincidence that Axl has a guitarist playing bluesy rock n roll licks!

By the way I like all the guitarists mentioned, the BH years were a blast!

Most people on this forum literally have no idea about playing guitar! I would also suggest Axl doesn't either.

GNR is a bluesy rock n roll band, Axl was auditioning metal players, hired a grungy industrial guitarist, had his buddy LEARN to play guitar and join the band, hired an avante garde speed metalist with a bucket on his head, hired a shredder that plays a giant foot and finally went full circle and hired a Slash clone. If he had just hired someone like DJ in 1999, the last 10 years would have been much more straight forward for Axl. This band is enjoying rave reviews at the moment, it's no coincidence that Axl has a guitarist playing bluesy rock n roll licks!

By the way I like all the guitarists mentioned, the BH years were a blast!

I don't think that's because of his lack of guitar knowledge. He seemed to have had a very definite sound that he wanted to try and achieve by bringing Bucket and Robin in, and later Ron. Especially Buckethead, as far as I know he wasn't exactly a very well known guitarist when he joined Guns, so Axl definitely must've done some hunting to find him.