Pittman on Axl Rose in the studio

vaida

Axl was playing a lot of lead guitar and

experimenting with sounds, and was a damn

creative player. Occasionally he would pipe in 'you

hear that Lusk guitar there?!!' - Pittman

Axl's lead guitar - did any of it make it onto CD ?

If Axl can play guitar, wht dosn't he live ?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure at some point he was going to sit down and work on guitar playing, just so he can communicate different ideas on there, and if he became better at it, start adding guitar to the demos.

Agreed. There's nothing worse than when someone who doesn't play the particular instrument says "dude play that again" and no one can figure out what "that" was because they can't communicate it.

like he said during the chats. "skills"

Didn't duff say in his book that Axl was more skilled than izzy after learning guitar for a year in the early 90s, I think Axl is just being modist.

I'm sure at some point he was going to sit down and work on guitar playing, just so he can communicate different ideas on there, and if he became better at it, start adding guitar to the demos.

Agreed. There's nothing worse than when someone who doesn't play the particular instrument says "dude play that again" and no one can figure out what "that" was because they can't communicate it.

so it's impossible to hum a melody?

Yep, agreed.

Didn't duff say in his book that Axl was more skilled than izzy after learning guitar for a year in the early 90s, I think Axl is just being modist.

This. Axl could play that pants of Izzy, and if he had the time or energy or desire to practice, I'm sure he could give Slash a run for his money too. But singing and songwriting is a full time job. Not to mention having to run/manage the entire band. Axl allowing Izzy to join with him was a supreme act of modesty. Axl could have done everything Izzy did himself if he really wanted/needed to.

he already could in the 90s

don't you remember Dead Horse live?

This. Axl could play that pants of Izzy, and if he had the time or energy or desire to practice, I'm sure he could give Slash a run for his money too. But singing and songwriting is a full time job. Not to mention having to run/manage the entire band. Axl allowing Izzy to join with him was a supreme act of modesty. Axl could have done everything Izzy did himself if he really wanted/needed to.

In addition to being modest... it was SMART. The world would have been denied the performances of one of the great and most athletic live frontmen in history had Axl been shackled to a guitar and mic stand IMHO.

I feel the need to share my view on this. If I remember correctly most of the original guys started playing different instruments than the ones they played in the band. If I remember correctly both Izzy and Duff were on drums while in teens. Around that time, although Slash practiced guitar for years he played bass for a while since his band mate at time, Steven Adler had lead guitar. It was later that they figured they had it a bit wrong.

Now, of course each of them are multi instrumentalists and can do up to a point the job of the other ones. But from here to say he could top Slash or Izzy its over exagerating. More with Slash since he is a guitar 'god' (i don't like using that word'). He has the skill and feel for both writing and playing like very few others do.

As for Izzy, lets suppose he was in the band just for his songwriting and not for the chemistry he brought or for his guitar playing (totally wrong view in my opinion). You really think Axl got him into GNR by mercy? And moreover that he wasnt hurt like hell when Izzy decided to leave? For all it's worth he may have left Slash and Duff go away so easily because Izzy was no more in the band.

To sum up, please give Axl a double neck guitar with guitar strings on one neck and bass on the other. Why not make him stand near the piano all show since he could play bass and lead guitar with one hand and piano with the other. Also some drums controlled with legs for the orchestra-man sounds good doesnt it? :rolleyes:

Disagree. Axl being mad about Izzy leaving had nothing to do with losing an irreplaceable guitarist, and everything to do with being betrayed by someone who pretended to be a friend. Anyone could play Izzy's parts, even when Axl didn't practice he could still do what Izzy did. Hell, you could probably do that too. He doesn't play difficult guitar parts. But he was a loyal, trusted friend for a while and that can mean even more than technical abilities.

Obviously Axl can't play like Slash right now. But I have no doubt that had Axl decided to focus on guitar instead of vocals or piano or management, he would be able to do whatever Slash does just as well. Axl is a creative genius. Guys like that can pick up any instruments they want to.

In addition to being modest... it was SMART. The world would have been denied the performances of one of the great and most athletic live frontmen in history had Axl been shackled to a guitar and mic stand IMHO.

Amen

Disagree. Axl being mad about Izzy leaving had nothing to do with losing an irreplaceable guitarist, and everything to do with being betrayed by someone who pretended to be a friend. Anyone could play Izzy's parts, even when Axl didn't practice he could still do what Izzy did. Hell, you could probably do that too. He doesn't play difficult guitar parts. But he was a loyal, trusted friend for a while and that can mean even more than technical abilities.

Obviously Axl can't play like Slash right now. But I have no doubt that had Axl decided to focus on guitar instead of vocals or piano or management, he would be able to do whatever Slash does just as well. Axl is a creative genius. Guys like that can pick up any instruments they want to.

As far as I'm concerned Izzy may not be at the same level as Axl, but I would put them in the same category in terms of creativity genius. Also the way the parts made by individuals blends into GNR songs is amazing. The point of my post was that it would be hard to compare for instance Izzy on drums vs Duff on drums since both played other instruments for years. Of course they could learn or perfect their drum playing if they really wanted but it's not their purpose. Same goes for Axl and guitar skills.

Where I do agree with you is that Axl could virtually do anything he wishes in terms of music, but I don't think he was the only one from GNR to be able to do so.

Edited by Anonymity

Izzy betrayed him? Okay then. :violin:

Axl playing lead guitar would be a very bad thing...it would start with him battling himself for control of the band...being unable to get into a comfortable working relationship with the singer, and ultimately, he might consider leaving himself (a-la Axl flashing the peace sign to himself in the therapist's room in the Don't Cry video just before walking through the mirror)

:)

Have a very Merry Christmas everybody!

Edited by Axl4Prez2004

Axl knows where his strengths lie...I'm sure he could be quite the guitarist if he wants but he knows he wants to focus his attention on songwriting/arranging/singing/performing.

Sometimes you can tell by the chords of a song if it was composed on piano or guitar.

Edited by dalsh327