Old School Oprah: Lumps One In a Million lyrics in with Ice T and NWA

ITW 2012

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how ''goddamn'' is censored and ''n*gger'' isn't.

And did she call GN'R an all-white rockband?

No offense, but Ice-T looks more white than Slash does.

Anyway, One In A Million is one of my favorite GN'R songs and I'm shocked to see how Oprah slowed the song down.

Also:

lolwuttm.jpg

rapist.jpg

hmmmmm.

Edited by UcudBmineCD

Interesting...

I for one have always LOVED One in a Million, the lyrics, rhythm, groove, everything! But I often feel like people expect me to hate it (and maybe I should) because I am an immigrant (the legal kind), I've suffered through racism all through school and I'm an active supporter of LGBT rights but I've never been offended by that song! For me the songs meaning extends further than a couple of offensive words and I think when people listen to it they should try to focus on the image/scenario of the bus-stop Axl is trying to paint rather that just a couple of words.

I also dislike the fact that the end verse of the song "radicals and racists, don't point your fingers at me" was not mentioned in the show, its just unfair.

Edited by KiraMPD

I like how ''goddamn'' is censored and ''n*gger'' isn't.

And did she call GN'R an all-white rockband?

No offense, but Ice-T looks more white than Slash does.

Anyway, One In A Million is one of my favorite GN'R songs and I'm shocked to see how Oprah slowed the song down.

Also:

lolwuttm.jpg

rapist.jpg

hmmmmm.

why would they censor black person? it's not a swear while godd@mn is

Interesting...

I for one have always LOVED One in a Million, the lyrics, rhythm, groove, everything! But I often feel like people expect me to hate it (and maybe I should) because I am an immigrant (the legal kind), I've suffered through racism all through school and I'm an active supporter of LGBT rights but I've never been offended by that song! For me the songs meaning extends further than a couple of offensive words and I think when people listen to it they should try to focus on the image/scenario of the bus-stop Axl is trying to paint rather that just a couple of words.

I also dislike the fact that the end verse of the song "radicals and racists, don't point your fingers at me" was not mentioned in the show, its just unfair.

Good post.

Blame the producer for any TV show as to why the last verse was cut out, or why the song was slowed down. Most TV hosts aren't that involved in making the show.

Censorship in music at that time was still a pretty hot topic, gangsta' rap was just beginning to be noticed by the mainstream, and Ice at that time was more like an "elder statesman" in rap. Having Jello and Tipper there was the only real interesting thing about it though, and Nelson George, who is still one of the "go to" writers in discussing hip hop, represented the music critics.

If Axl took the train in, it prob. would've been a whole other song.

Interesting...

Blame the producer for any TV show as to why the last verse was cut out, or why the song was slowed down. Most TV hosts aren't that involved in making the show.

Oprah is/was. It's all about ratings.

Maybe - she is a billionaire and prob. a control freak, but hosts usually don't like to be "the boss" when it comes to the shows. They hire other people to come up with the different topics, and pretty much lets them do their thing. She might shoot down ideas here and there, but almost all of it's coming from her production staff.

This was long before she was a billionaire, and was pretty much trying to be the female Donahue.

It's a great song with a few poorly chosen lyrics. I don't fall into any of the many categories of people being insulted in the song, but I am pissed those insults are in there. I am pissed that I can't play the song in front of most people. I am pissed that I can't hear it played on the radio. I am pissed that I will never see it performed live.

This quote from Axl shows, to me anyway, that it was more ignorance than anything else which motivated him to write those particular lyrics:

"I was pissed off about some black people that were trying to rob me. I wanted to insult those particular black people."

It's really stupid to record a song intending to insult just a few people who have crossed his path, without realizing the impact those words will have on many others who fall into the same categories.

Yeah, I know what the response from many will be - who gives a fuck about anybody else, right? Some people don't, I do. And I think Axl does now too, which is why you'll never see him perform One In A Millon again without removing or changing the offensive lyrics.

It's a song that's kind of drifted into obscurity. It's lost the shock value, and what's done is done.

Janes Addiction used the "n" word in "Whores", but no one protested it. As far as I know, Perry still uses the word when he sings it. (he responds on Twitter, so maybe get into that discussion with him?).