Do you think a reunited GNR would make something comparable to the new Van Halen song?

ITW 2012

Do you think a reunited GNR would make something comparable to the new Van Halen song? It would basically just sound like Old GNR by the numbers. That's why I don't even really care about a reunion. I just want Axl to move forward with CD II.

Edited by ITW 2012

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

Besides, even if that were the case, I'd rather hear the old band failing miserably to copy the old band, rather than hearing the new band failing miserably to copy the old band and a bunch of other bands.

Edited by OTHAFA

I don't think Slash and Axl even like or have a desire to create the same kind of music anymore.

Van Halen is different cause Dave and Eddie still share a musical direction and want to do it whatever the reason is.

Personally, I want Axl to move forward with the current line up, release cd2 with Bucket/Brain/Robin material and then release a fresh new album written by DJ, Bumble, and Fortus guitar wise.

By now, I feel a reunion is pointless from a creative point of view. A one off thing just to see and hear the old line up on stage again one last time will be the most I'd want.

I don't think Slash and Axl even like or have a desire to create the same kind of music anymore.

Van Halen is different cause Dave and Eddie still share a musical direction and want to do it whatever the reason is.

Personally, I want Axl to move forward with the current line up, release cd2 with Bucket/Brain/Robin material and then release a fresh new album written by DJ, Bumble, and Fortus guitar wise.

By now, I feel a reunion is pointless from a creative point of view. A one off thing just to see and hear the old line up on stage again one last time will be the most I'd want.

I think Eddie knows that Diamond Dave isn't worthy of being in the band anymore, but it's too late in the game for them to get a different singer, and the public just wouldn't accept it anyway.

Edited by ITW 2012

I think Eddie knows that Diamond Dave isn't worthy of being in the band anymore, but it's too late in the game for them to get a different singer, and the public just wouldn't accept it anyway.

Heh kinda funny cause the public never really accepted another guitar player after Slash in Guns, or a Guns without Slash, but that didn't stop Axl from doing it anyway or for new Guns from being awesome to me.

At least this band was never about just the money, or repeating shit, making the same album over and over again.

I always expect more from Axl as a band leader and say what you will about the man, but he will never go that route musically.

Edited by Rovim

The thing is when something becomes a classic, it's hard for anything new to match up to it. Case in point, Plant/Page "Walking into Clarksdale". You have the basic elements of Led Zep there, but it's not the same, it will never be played in a Led Zep block on radio. Even if the AFD era lineup got back together and wrote new music, there's no certainty that you would feel the way about new music that you would about the songs from AFD, because it was a different time and place, and there's a certain mojo that goes along with that time.

It's like talking about going to Disney as a kid and experiencing it as an adult - you kind of become more aware of it being a business and not so magical.

But can they write great songs together? Sure. Would it hold up to songs you've grown familiar with? Probably not. There's too much personal attachment for a lot of people.

But that doesn't mean new magic can't happen from it. Springsteen wrote some great songs over the past 10-11 years, and the musicianship and production is better, but compared to a "Jungleland" or "Born To Run" which has become a staple, will fall short. It's like talking about any favorite song and where you were when you first heard it, what the significance of that song means to you personally, and why you still feel something from it. Just because a song may have come out before you were born, or before your parents were born, doesn't mean it can't hit you in the gut and make you feel something.

If Duff and Izzy wrote songs with the current lineup, it's possible that the old and new could be like a blender and a great new sounding song with an old familiar feel to it could come out of it.

I don't think Axl's intent is going to be trying to chase trends or try to distance himself from AFD and UYI, and it's possible he might cut back on the electronics and multilayered vocals a bit, but not completely get rid of it. I think we might see some things go "back to basics" and some things continue to be progressive... the rage in the "G" and the passion in the "R" will still be a presence. It's a different band even from the one that worked on ChiDem, but to bring Duff and Izzy into the songwriting on the next album could prove to be real interesting. Will it happen? Probably not. But wishful thinking about it happening doesn't hurt.

I think the new Van Halen songs kicks ass musically, but Dave's weak lyrics and vocals bring it down. Somebody like Axl could give this song the kick in the ass it deserves.

Honestly, I think Axl still has the magic, but I don't hear the magic in Slash's guitar playing anymore.

Edited by ITW 2012

Yeah, was a bit taken aback at how overall weak this song is. I mean, this is the first single? Still, I'll withhold judgment till I hear the whole album. It's just cool to have Eddie back from purgatory and I've always like Roth 10 million times more than Sammy Hagar.

For much of the last 15 years, Eddie wasn't worthy of being in the band anymore. I saw VH twice in 2008, and Dave most certainly is worthy... VH is lucky to have him. There are a few notes Dave struggles to reach/can't reach at his current age. The same is true of Robert Plant, and Axl Rose, and Brian Johnson, and Roger Daltry, and....

Time is a bitch. It would be sweet if it could be the 80's still, but it doesn't work that way. I'm just grateful for what we have. The old classic rock bands are still a lot better than the new mainstream rock bands and even most of the more obscure ones. I'm unwilling to go on an Indiana Jones search for new good bands, so this is what I got, and it's still good.

A band like Van Halen can't win. If they play songs in the old style, some will complain they never grew. If they play in a new style that reflects more how they have matured/plain gotten old, a lot of people will hate that and say they've forgotten their roots. Personally I can't fault Van Halen for sounding like Van Halen. If I wanted them to be sounding like something else, I'd be listening to somebody else. And I suggest giving Tattoo another few listens and pay closer attention to Dave, because he pretty much does all his classic vocal tricks he was famous for. The only place his voice really deteriorated was in the high pitch screams, but he still sounds better than a lot of his contemporaries. His voice was never known for being operatic or something, it was just known for being full of his personality and bringing out the best in Eddie Van Halen, and it still does that.

Me Wise Magic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tattoo

Of course everyone can have whatever opinion, but I would just like to point out that Me Wise Magic is what, 17 years old or something? I know it was the "last" Dave VH song, but that doesn't mean much.

I think the new Van Halen songs kicks ass musically, but Dave's weak lyrics and vocals bring it down. Somebody like Axl could give this song the kick in the ass it deserves.

Honestly, I think Axl still has the magic, but I don't hear the magic in Slash's guitar playing anymore.

Sadly, I agree. When I watch Slash live, he's on fire playing wise, and I'm still a fan, but, something is missing. I think it's probably lack of inspiration or perfect chemistry like he had with Axl.

When I listen to Axl sing live or just put Chinese Democracy on, I can still hear the passion in the songs and in his voice. Slash strikes me like the kind of a guitar player that is capable of producing incredible shit, but only if he really goes for it, and that will happen only if the right singer inspires him or if it's the right song to really take to the next level cause he's not really an amazing song writer imo. just my take on it.

Time is a bitch. It would be sweet if it could be the 80's still, but it doesn't work that way. I'm just grateful for what we have. The old classic rock bands are still a lot better than the new mainstream rock bands and even most of the more obscure ones. I'm unwilling to go on an Indiana Jones search for new good bands, so this is what I got, and it's still good.

A band like Van Halen can't win. If they play songs in the old style, some will complain they never grew. If they play in a new style that reflects more how they have matured/plain gotten old, a lot of people will hate that and say they've forgotten their roots. Personally I can't fault Van Halen for sounding like Van Halen. If I wanted them to be sounding like something else, I'd be listening to somebody else. And I suggest giving Tattoo another few listens and pay closer attention to Dave, because he pretty much does all his classic vocal tricks he was famous for. The only place his voice really deteriorated was in the high pitch screams, but he still sounds better than a lot of his contemporaries. His voice was never known for being operatic or something, it was just known for being full of his personality and bringing out the best in Eddie Van Halen, and it still does that.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take this any day over the new stuff that passes for rock these days; this is still way better than The Foo Fighters or Black Keys.

Edited by ITW 2012

That new VH song is terrible. I don't know if old gnr made a new song it would be as bad, but I do know whenever a band tries to recreate old magic, they usually fail miserably.

Hence, current gnr is a way better prospect of making new music unhindered by their past, and thus coming up with songs that are at least "fresh."

Wow, those lyrics are pretty lame.

They sound like something the modern Motley Crue would come up with. Dave's contribution just isn't worthy of the awesome music behind him.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but do we know that Dave did in fact write the lyrics? I could be confusing this with some other band, but I think I remember that Eddie and/or Alex wrote the lyrics to most of the songs since the Gary era.

Whoever said older bands making new music like this is better than rock bands of this decade is a fucking moron.

The new Van Halen song is boring as fuck with God awful vocals and lyrics.

Personally I think a reunited GNR would go the same route. If they could prove me wrong I'd love that, but Slash's new album sounds like washed up mediocre bullshit. He managed to make one interesting record with VR this decade, and the rest has been embarrassing.

Axl's album wasn't loads better, and I think some of that might be because the album was released way too late. If it had dropped in 2000 it would have been better received, I think.

The real gems Nu-GNR have created this decade were Shacklers Revenge(fantastic song), Oh My God, If The World, and the original Catcher in the Rye. If we get an album with more of that, scrap the Street of Dreams, Madagascar, and This I Love bullshit, then I'm in.

Dave and the Van Halen boys have never been accused of being great song writers.

They make great songs, but strong lyrics have never been their trademark.

Jump? Panama? Hot For Teacher?

No love for Motley Crue. But isn't VH basically Motley Crue without the make-up?

No love for Motley Crue. But isn't VH basically Motley Crue without the make-up?

No, not to me, they were always Double-A and Van Halen was Cooperstown.

Dave and the Van Halen boys have never been accused of being great song writers.

They make great songs, but strong lyrics have never been their trademark.

Jump? Panama? Hot For Teacher?

And I agree with that. I think when you compare these lyrics to a lot of the Van Halen classics, the lyrics compare very well and are superior to many of them, including all three of the ones you just mentioned. These lyrics actually do have some meaning that is worthy of some thought.I guess after all this time, people were expecting something beyond words incredible, and when they got Van Halen, they were left disappointed. But it's still first-day gut reactions. I say give it a couple weeks for the next level of evaluation, then a couple months more for a more final conclusion. And I say that for both the favorable and unfavorable reviews.

good thread

I always thought it would be cringe worthy if a reunited GNR got with a rick rubin type to "capture the classic guns sound" it would sound silly.

But a reunited GNR trying something new would be cool. like Axls crazy cool sound scapes with slash/duff/izzy bringing a more straight rock approach and vice versa.

Didnt marc canter say slash was in negotions to play on a couple Chinese tracks in 2002 if he apologised, think it was marc...