I have to say...

Young_Gun

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Philly was def Axl's best vocal of the tour so far but the main difference I felt in Philly was that he sang like he meant it and was committed to every line and I think that's when he has his best nights vocally. Sorry was incredible. It's great that he's getting better.

Edited by Janis

Sounds to me like Axl's voice is finally getting better again. It's not at 2010 level yet, but I think he'll get there if he keeps going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLZRHU1r7KA

I will respectfully disagree until you can find me a 2010 performance of You're Crazy where Axl sounds anywhere near that good. L'Arc completely blows compared to that.

To be honest, that's disappointing. His helium voice is crap. Axl is not the singer he once was.

I don't get it. He is clearly improving and still that all you felt the need to say?

This is nothing like 2002. In fact, its much more like Chinese Democracy - a mix of tones, yet powerful when needed. He is not the singer he once was, but this is not a contest to chose between Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck (that all-rasp and no range bullshit from early 92 was painful to listen to).

I couldn't agree more with you!

I think the Chinese Democracy era is Axl at his best. He's learned to use a wide variety of range. To say he can't sing anymore based on live shows is ridiculous. Anyone heard Freddie Mercury sing on Live Killers? Freddie went on to release a string of albums under Queen with fantastic vocals.

If Axl ever goes back to studio in 2013 or 2014 he will blow our minds.

I think the Chinese Democracy era is Axl at his best. He's learned to use a wide variety of range. To say he can't sing anymore based on live shows is ridiculous. Anyone heard Freddie Mercury sing on Live Killers? Freddie went on to release a string of albums under Queen with fantastic vocals.

If Axl ever goes back to studio in 2013 or 2014 he will blow our minds.

Even more of a classic Freddie Mercury example, is this cluster of rubbish from 1984 (SO rough, and one of his worst EVER shows!!)

Compare it to this performance, about 8 moths down the line, note how he now goes for the big notes now, just like he did in the studio and how much better and stronger Freddie sounds on all the notes:

As bad as Axl might have been on the HoB stream, he still never got as bad as Freddie did during that 1984 tour where his voice pretty much fell apart for a time.

As for Axl, his voice is a perfect balance right now between the powerhouse of 2010 but also the clean notes of some parts of the 02 and 06/07 tour. I think as he contines to tour he'll eventually switch into 2010 mode more and more and eventually that'll be the main voice he'll use, so to speak.

PS, after the Live Killers Album and the tour that went with it (The Jazz tour) Freddie Mercury went on to have his best ever live years, where he probably for the only time in his career became a beast live.

Edited by koldbeer2

His '92 voice was powerful as fuck. Listen to Paradise City from the Freddie Mercury tribute concert and compare it to one from the recent shows; no contest.

Axl's grit vocals are what made him stand out from other singers back in the day. Sure they weren't always spot on, to be honest I find SCO'M on the UYI dvd's hard to listen to. But I'd prefer that than his mickey mouse helium voice.

Don't get me wrong, he's come on leaps and bounds from RIR3 - now that was painful. But I just sometimes find his vocals now to be disappointing.

Having said that, the best I've heard him sound in recent years was 2010 when Duff joined him for a rendition of Nice Boys. Now that was outstanding, was like listening to 80's/90's Axl.

It's fine to be positive and all, but this 'youtube and cell phone recordings don't mean shit' comments... what the hell?

These are the dumbest comments I've seen since the internet came along.

it's true, you can't evaluate a show on youtube...

You can when you have been critical of previous shows from watching youtube/streams. 99% of us have seen the videos live and made judgements, so what's the difference when it is a positive judgement? I'm giving credit where credit is due

I'll start of with my general sentiments regarding Guns for the last year or so. My interest has been relatively mild, mainly due to the lack of new songs, album, similar set lists etc etc(some of you know the gist). I was looking forward to RIR but Axl's performance killed it for me, the rest of the 2011 shows were average in my opinion. However we received our first sit down televised interview with Axl in two decades which was really cool.

Come 2012 and we have a new website and these up close and personal shows. Nice, things are changing. I check out videos from the shows and Axl sounds ok, sometimes good, sometimes bad. But the Philadelphia show... Now only did we get an apology from the man himself, he absolutely fucken smoked the whole show. He sounds absolutely phenomenal. I have to say I'm very impressed. He is all over the stage, interacting with band and crowd, getting into it. This is giving it his all. I don't know if he was saving it for Philly or if he was waiting til he had a few shows up his sleeve but he bought his A game here. Even songs that he is hit or miss with like Better and Nightrain, he conquered, rasp and all. Kudos to you Axl.

I like your posts, usually I agree with pretty much everything.

Not all songs had rasp, but oh man.. This Estranged performance was one of the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm2Spcs5_H8

Likewise fellow guitarist :)

His '92 voice was powerful as fuck. Listen to Paradise City from the Freddie Mercury tribute concert and compare it to one from the recent shows; no contest.

Axl's grit vocals are what made him stand out from other singers back in the day. Sure they weren't always spot on, to be honest I find SCO'M on the UYI dvd's hard to listen to. But I'd prefer that than his mickey mouse helium voice.

Don't get me wrong, he's come on leaps and bounds from RIR3 - now that was painful. But I just sometimes find his vocals now to be disappointing.

Having said that, the best I've heard him sound in recent years was 2010 when Duff joined him for a rendition of Nice Boys. Now that was outstanding, was like listening to 80's/90's Axl.

You're comparing someones vocals from 20 years ago... Compare an athlete in their 40's and 50's to 20 years ago and see how you go. Granted it's not as drastic with vocals, but vocal chords do deteriorate over time, especially if rasp is used.

I was talking about the UYI dvd, yes. Its cool that you prefer the all-rasp-no-voice, but he wasn't even singing sometimes, just grasping to barely get the lyrics out.

Now, like I said, its not ALL about "mickey mouse helium voice", far from it. See You're Crazy, Better, WTTJ and Nightrain from the last shows and tell me if that's helium.

:thumbsup:

You're comparing someones vocals from 20 years ago... Compare an athlete in their 40's and 50's to 20 years ago and see how you go. Granted it's not as drastic with vocals, but vocal chords do deteriorate over time, especially if rasp is used.

I don't think that's the case, tho. I honestly disagree with people when they say 2010 was Axl's best - simply because most of people are talking about rasp, not range. In 2007 he had both, and it was trully awesome to listen to his high notes in shows like Brisbane and Tokyo back then. To me, he NEVER sounded that good, including the 80s and 90s. He could have nailed songs like TWAT, Prostitute and, at the same time, WTTJ and Nightrain.

But I know I'm the minority here. Most would be happy with his mid-range rasp and old songs.

I was talking about the UYI dvd, yes. Its cool that you prefer the all-rasp-no-voice, but he wasn't even singing sometimes, just grasping to barely get the lyrics out.

Now, like I said, its not ALL about "mickey mouse helium voice", far from it. See You're Crazy, Better, WTTJ and Nightrain from the last shows and tell me if that's helium.

:thumbsup:

I don't think that's the case, tho. I honestly disagree with people when they say 2010 was Axl's best - simply because most of people are talking about rasp, not range. In 2007 he had both, and it was trully awesome to listen to his high notes in shows like Brisbane and Tokyo back then. To me, he NEVER sounded that good, including the 80s and 90s. He could have nailed songs like TWAT, Prostitute and, at the same time, WTTJ and Nightrain.

But I know I'm the minority here. Most would be happy with his mid-range rasp and old songs.

I personally have said the the 2006/07 era was Axl's real comeback to the live stage. He really was a god for his age and especially compared to the 2001/2002 shows. He had the look, slimmed down, rasp and was moving all over the place. He sounded great and I'm very happy I got to see him live at the time. The early 90's he was very inconsistent, too throaty. The videos of Estranged that exist from the 90's do not hold a candle to the Estranged played at Philly. Although he did sound phenomenal at time like on Civil War at the Freddie Mercury tribute. 2010 was great too because of the increased rasp, although I think it's like a shiny guitar at a guitar store, it's not all about the shine/rasp. The Philly show shows a combination of both. A return of the rasp where needed(WTTJ, Civil War, Better, Nightrain. parts of SOD etc) and a mix of clean(Don't Cry, parts of SOD, November Rain etc). People often forget that even on the records, Axl does not use rasp all the time.

All that said, I do hope he continues to improve over the course of the tour. If he gets back to his 2006/07 or 2010 caliber, I certainly will not be complaining one iota!

Nah, the live performances are average to bad quality and Axl sounds really crappy in most songs. Instead of having threads about "why did this song go wrong" we have threads about "wow look at this", trying to find exceptions in what is mostly a mediocre tour. I think the correct thing for Axl would be to follow a carreer like Robert Plant, switching to other types of songs that are less demanding but still good. This is more of a nostalgia act and anyone who thinks different is obviously delusional. If there is any new album recorded I am looking forward to something that won't resemble GNR so much, especially if something like that endangers what is left of an impressive vocal ability.

I saw them in 2011 and Ax's voice was outstanding for 95% of the show.

Civil War, Estranged, You're Crazy, 3-hour shows, doing media, starting on-time, no cancellations.........this band is doing things to cement themselves as a solid, reliable, relevant rock and roll band. This is a huge change from past years, and everybody involved deserves a TON of praise and credit.

But to continue the momentum, they have to release new music. Yes, we all love to go see this band play all the old classics - it's a great show, 3-hours of amazing music. But eventually, this band will have to stop being a touring band and create and release their own music.

Otherwise, unfortunately, band members will leave to work on other projects where they get to create and play their OWN music. And the fan base of GnR will continue to shrink, and they will become an opener for big bands, and only a headliner for small tours. Before you label me a hater - realize that I'm a die-hard Axl fan for over 20 years. I saw them in 2011 and there was 6,500 people at the arena. In 1991 it would have been sold out. It doesn't change MY enjoyment of a show, but the facts are the facts. This band is amazing - but if they just continue to tour another band's music - their attendance level will stay in the lower range and will continue to decrease. Put out a new album, with a couple great songs, and attendance will rise. (Again, not saying attendance levels or chart topping hits are what define a band. But it is the difference between playing in front of 6,500 people or 20,000 people a night. And the difference in how much money the record label will invest in your future albums).

GnR is doing great things!!!!!

I just hope they keep the momentum rolling with new music in 2012. This band deserves a chance to shine!

I agree with you on most things. But do you think that the majority is waiting for a new album? Most people that attend, only know the hits from the past and it seems that they don't even know Chinese Democracy.

So I think it's not as easy as putting a new album out, and the fanbase grows again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't want to hear new music.

That is the thing.

And I want to hear the classics as well for sure.

But they could easily drop lald, the 10 minute heavens door, ISE and brownstone. Riff raff, rose. That opens up spots for 8 new songs.

That is what bands used to do. Drop an album and go on tour to promote it. Play their classic songs, but also play the 4-5 songs off the new album that are going to be the singles. That way u promote the new songs to the fans."hey, that sounds cool. I think I will check out the new album."

Play the classics....but promote the new album as well.

Tbh, CD is one of my favorite albums of all time. I listen to it more than I do any other GnR album. So another album just like CD and I would be the happiest person on the forum.

I saw them in 2011 and Ax's voice was outstanding for 95% of the show.

Civil War, Estranged, You're Crazy, 3-hour shows, doing media, starting on-time, no cancellations.........this band is doing things to cement themselves as a solid, reliable, relevant rock and roll band. This is a huge change from past years, and everybody involved deserves a TON of praise and credit.

But to continue the momentum, they have to release new music. Yes, we all love to go see this band play all the old classics - it's a great show, 3-hours of amazing music. But eventually, this band will have to stop being a touring band and create and release their own music.

Otherwise, unfortunately, band members will leave to work on other projects where they get to create and play their OWN music. And the fan base of GnR will continue to shrink, and they will become an opener for big bands, and only a headliner for small tours. Before you label me a hater - realize that I'm a die-hard Axl fan for over 20 years. I saw them in 2011 and there was 6,500 people at the arena. In 1991 it would have been sold out. It doesn't change MY enjoyment of a show, but the facts are the facts. This band is amazing - but if they just continue to tour another band's music - their attendance level will stay in the lower range and will continue to decrease. Put out a new album, with a couple great songs, and attendance will rise. (Again, not saying attendance levels or chart topping hits are what define a band. But it is the difference between playing in front of 6,500 people or 20,000 people a night. And the difference in how much money the record label will invest in your future albums).

GnR is doing great things!!!!!

I just hope they keep the momentum rolling with new music in 2012. This band deserves a chance to shine!

I agree with you on most things. But do you think that the majority is waiting for a new album? Most people that attend, only know the hits from the past and it seems that they don't even know Chinese Democracy.

So I think it's not as easy as putting a new album out, and the fanbase grows again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't want to hear new music.

That is the thing.

And I want to hear the classics as well for sure.

But they could easily drop lald, the 10 minute heavens door, ISE and brownstone. Riff raff, rose. That opens up spots for 8 new songs.

That is what bands used to do. Drop an album and go on tour to promote it. Play their classic songs, but also play the 4-5 songs off the new album that are going to be the singles. That way u promote the new songs to the fans."hey, that sounds cool. I think I will check out the new album."

Play the classics....but promote the new album as well.

Tbh, CD is one of my favorite albums of all time. I listen to it more than I do any other GnR album. So another album just like CD and I would be the happiest person on the forum.

Groghan, serious question for you, as you and I feel the same about wanting new songs on this tour. Do you think we could appreciate the songs in a live format as much as a studio format? Meaning, would it take away from the experience of getting the studio version(whenever that may be)? I know I felt this with Riad, I thought the live version sucked but was BLOWN away by the studio version. Silkworms has the potential for that too but at the moment, it has a stigma attached to it. I think the live setting is not the perfect place to debut new material but it's the only avenue we have for now...

No offense but the video's I saw, well.......

In January I would've agreed. But the Philly show, he sounds phenomenal.

Glad we share the same sentiments. I pretty much did not care for any of his 2011 performance or any of the 2012 shows. When I watched the Philly show I was very impressed.

I personally have said the the 2006/07 era was Axl's real comeback to the live stage. He really was a god for his age and especially compared to the 2001/2002 shows. He had the look, slimmed down, rasp and was moving all over the place. He sounded great and I'm very happy I got to see him live at the time. The early 90's he was very inconsistent, too throaty. The videos of Estranged that exist from the 90's do not hold a candle to the Estranged played at Philly. Although he did sound phenomenal at time like on Civil War at the Freddie Mercury tribute. 2010 was great too because of the increased rasp, although I think it's like a shiny guitar at a guitar store, it's not all about the shine/rasp. The Philly show shows a combination of both. A return of the rasp where needed(WTTJ, Civil War, Better, Nightrain. parts of SOD etc) and a mix of clean(Don't Cry, parts of SOD, November Rain etc). People often forget that even on the records, Axl does not use rasp all the time.

All that said, I do hope he continues to improve over the course of the tour. If he gets back to his 2006/07 or 2010 caliber, I certainly will not be complaining one iota!

But that's what I've been saying. I heard the Ritz bootleg (thanks to GNR Bootlegs on Facebook, Esteban really does an awesome job there!) and although not all songs had rasp, they sounded powerful. The reason probably was because it's an excellent audience recording that captures both the live feel with the right mix and the phat low frequencies of the show. It trully is a fantastic sound and you can notice the difference even on solos.

The same thing was the recent neo remaster of the Vegas 11 soundboard. It sounds 90% better than the regular recording because of the added thickness.

So yeah, in the context of the full spectrum, Axl sounded awesome. I think that's why people have no complaints when they see them live and say YouTube videos aren't enough to judge - because the songs do sound good without the rasp too. And, like the Chinese Democracy album, it really is a blend of the clean and the rasp. Its not all Donald Duck voice and thats actually good - it allows to a broader range of tones and notes. Listen to Shacklers chorus - Axl was always struggling to sing it in 2010, even going off-key often. Now, he fucking nails it every single night.

BTW, here's an audience recording of Philly's gig from GNR Bootlegs: http://www.mediafire.com/?c52dyodjn79h5

No offense but the video's I saw, well.......

Enough said.

I've seen them in '02, '06 and '10, I've seen video's from all 3 tours. And with the exception of '02 they were all better than what I've seen in 2011 and 2012 so far.

Next show I'm seeing is June 4th, maybe after that my opinion will change.

To be honest, that's disappointing. His helium voice is crap. Axl is not the singer he once was.

I don't get it. He is clearly improving and still that all you felt the need to say?

This is nothing like 2002. In fact, its much more like Chinese Democracy - a mix of tones, yet powerful when needed. He is not the singer he once was, but this is not a contest to chose between Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck (that all-rasp and no range bullshit from early 92 was painful to listen to).

yeah, i never agree with the mickey mouse thing. for me, Donald Duck it's more like Axl voice in some shows.

I wouldn't go as far as calling that an apology. It was an Axl apology. But it's cool that he approached the subject. However, the You Could Be Mine after it was pretty good, I gotta say. Especially since YCBM is the song that has 'suffered' most from his loss of strength in the 2000s.

And I just watched Estranged, and it's the first good version of this song in this tour. I was very critical of how he sang it in previous shows, but with the Philadelphia one I'm actually impressed.

Maybe it was just the illness after all and as he's getting better his voice is returning to its 2009-2010 form.