L.A. show, The Wiltern 3/11//12

Silent Jay

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You never really answered my question on who is looks more silly. You stated it was out of repect for Slash he not wear it.

The same could go for buckethead it looked total out of place and IMHO made people not take the band very serious from the get go of the new band era and also made part of the GNR legacy (which Slash is a part of) look like a freak show.

DJ wasn't choosen by Axl or anyone else because he wore a hat on stage, I am sure Axl said to himself people will bitch about it but who cares.

As far as Slash playing with someone that dresses like Axl that is fine but there is one thing that person can't do is sing the GNR songs like Axl Rose. To be 100% honest I haven't liked anything that Slash has done since leaving GNR other than a couple of songs off of VR's first album. So I guess I could go cupcake all the message boards that are about Slash or GNR for that matter and slam him with post after post........

Nay, I am not that childish and don't want to waste my time because all it would be is a waste of time and bandwidth.

I like the new band so I come here to see whats going on not to bitch and moan because the band isn't doing something I like. Early on I did bitch and moan alot but any more I just won't hardly do it. I don't like Slash's music post GNR so I don't go where they talk about that it is that simple.

pamjt.jpg

Axl & Pamela Manning ... do you remember her?? from early days!!!!! :thumbsup:

Cute,,, I wonder what it is like for him to meet these woman again... must be strange for him... And or just seeing someone you used to know??.

I love the hand in the far right behind Axl (a woman's hand with a credit card, looking like they are lining up some nose candy) :rofl-lol:

On another note, a fantastic review on a heavily travelled website:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/guns-n-roses-wiltern-concert-review-298885

Axl Rose Brings the "Real Deal" Guns n' Roses to the Wiltern: concert review

Kinda late to post this,but I wanted to add my thoughts on the show ..

Setlist wise,while it was near identical to both the LA Forum and The Joint NYE show's I attended,this being The Wiltern,I knew it would be something special.

Axl's vocal's were pretty damn flawless, particularly on CD tracks like"Sorry", "This I Love", "Shacklers" and "Street Of Dreams". I'll say it again - The way Axl vocally tweaked the chrorus to Shacklers Revenge is just heavenly.Other highlights for me were hearing "Your Crazy",which I'd never heard live before. Axl's freakishly well sustained screams in that one blew me away.KOHD - I love the new-ish falsetto -outro Axl's brought to the song.Anybody else notice it?? "Civil War" and "Rocket Queen",of course,were among other standouts.

Axl didn't interact much with the crowd this time around,but thats okay with me.His dedicated performance spoke for itself.

I could go on and on about how terrific it all was,but I'll just say out of the 5 times I've seen them (the first being the 2'nd Hammerstein Ballroom show),this was by far the best.

On another note, a fantastic review on a heavily travelled website:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/guns-n-roses-wiltern-concert-review-298885

Axl Rose Brings the "Real Deal" Guns n' Roses to the Wiltern: concert review

It was great to read that review. Thanks for posting it.

Its really positive to see that for a growing number of writers it has become possible to give the shows and Axl a fair chance, to be able to look at the now with respect while knowing the value of what came before. There's never been a dichotomy between appreciating both past and present and thankfully such open-mindedness is starting to become more evident in the media.

Rabia .......are you willing to give that same amount of respect to a writer who gives the show a negative review, if they don't mention Slash or Axl's appearance. If they went to the show and gave an honest review, and they just didn't like it?

Or are negative reviews only by those who are biased and still in love with the old band?

Melly.....how do YOU feel when you run into people you haven't seen for 20 years? That's probably pretty similar to how Axl (or anybody) feels when they run into old friends or people they worked with.

Rabia .......are you willing to give that same amount of respect to a writer who gives the show a negative review, if they don't mention Slash or Axl's appearance. If they went to the show and gave an honest review, and they just didn't like it?

Or are negative reviews only by those who are biased and still in love with the old band?

I said nothing about giving the writer "respect"- I pointed out that he is willing to give both the new and the old their due respect.

I'm well-aware that there are plenty of people who have different views and may choose to express disappointment in their review and it could be for several reasons such as a lack of appetite for rock music or for GN'R itself or for the new line-up as opposed to the old etc. etc. How would one know if a positive or negative reviewer is being "honest"? There will probably always be differences of opinion.

But when someone describes HIS OWN review as a "drunk review" and litters every single paragraph and line with negativity, I dont see how it can be defended as "honest". Is there absolutely nothing that the current line-up does well, not a shred of effort or craft or talent? I find it hard to believe that any band in history could survive at all if that was the case. I would be more open to unbridled positive-ness in a review (whether for GN'R or any other artist) than indiscriminate negativity because after all there are human beings involved and artistic performance is a very vulnerable process where you put up pieces of yourself to be judged.