L.A. show, The Wiltern 3/11//12

Silent Jay

Nice that it started on time and ended before 3am :)

Oh they did, I knew this show was probably gonna be a little different from the last one (other than it not occuring on the same friggin day of course lol) but the attention brought to it....... so yeah they're gonna just have to known when to hold and fold on stuff like that I see :rofl-lol:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl sang the "What'd I tell ya" stuff on Street of Dreams and the "With your ass in the air" line in YCBM. :)

I'll write a review later, but that was the best concert I've ever been to. I didn't think the Rush concert would be topped. Axl was ultra-raspy, and some drunk guy slammed me into DJ when he walked into the crowd. :D

On a negative note, I shifted two people over during Motivation and got an awesome view, but Axl's whistle landed where I originally was. :fuckyou:

Edited by Kill Devil Hill

Axl looked really healthy. The handlebar isn't as bad in real life. He was laughing and smiling and being playful the whole show.

What was awesome was that the security was shit-talking about Axl the whole night, saying he was gonna be a diva and come on late, and 45 minutes after the first band finished, the houselights went down, and I was like, "Suck it, bitches."

The T-shirt thing happened, but something struck me as weird. The guy said, "If you wear Slash stuff, Axl will personally come down from the stage and he'll kick you out and ruin the night." That sounds to me like they made up the rule themselves. I don't know. They also said no cameras, which we already know isn't an order from the band, and when I asked the guy about it, he said cameras at an Axl Rose show will end in a riot. So I actually do think it's a venue thing.

I think this was the best You're Crasy and This I Love we've seen this tour.

People aren't kidding when they say Axl sounds a lot better when you're actually at the show.

Show review to come. I'm just making comments now. By the way, you people suck. The people standing around me had to be the most annoying people that ever popped out of a uterus.

Axl looked really healthy. The handlebar isn't as bad in real life. He was laughing and smiling and being playful the whole show.

What was awesome was that the security was shit-talking about Axl the whole night, saying he was gonna be a diva and come on late, and 45 minutes after the first band finished, the houselights went down, and I was like, "Suck it, bitches."

The T-shirt thing happened, but something struck me as weird. The guy said, "If you wear Slash stuff, Axl will personally come down from the stage and he'll kick you out and ruin the night." That sounds to me like they made up the rule themselves. I don't know. They also said no cameras, which we already know isn't an order from the band, and when I asked the guy about it, he said cameras at an Axl Rose show will end in a riot. So I actually do think it's a venue thing.

People aren't kidding when they say Axl sounds a lot better when you're actually at the show.

Show review to come. I'm just making comments now. By the way, you people suck. The people standing around me had to be the most annoying people that ever popped out of a uterus.

Yeah, people who think this actually comes from axl are idiots, its obviously a venue thing that have heard rumours, past form with riots (cough st louis) and are being hyper-sensitive to every little issue to try and make the show run as smooth as normal, whats disturbing is the fans who dont browse the boards and keep up on things (basically the average punter) is gonna think the call has come from Axl and it isnt going to do his image any good and add fuel to the "Axls an Asshole" trend that seems to go throughout rock n roll..which is a shame as i dont think hes responsible for half of the things hes accused of, He really shhould have a better form of damage control, but i guess its his whatever couldnt give a s**t attitude that makes the music and gives the guy his alure

I actually suggested that before, that this may be a pre-emptive move on the part of the security staff to prevent any perceived issues. I remember that being dismissed by some here, too.

Ali

anyone got the set ? seems like a great show (;

Same setlist as the Palladium, but Shackler's was played after LALD (I think) and Rosie was played instead of Riff Raff.

I actually suggested that before, that this may be a pre-emptive move on the part of the security staff to prevent any perceived issues. I remember that being dismissed by some here, too.

Ali

I was one of the main people fighting you about this, but I actually do think you're right now. I mean, that just strikes me as an odd thing to say. Why say all that instead of just saying, "Band orders?" Something was really fishy about that. I still don't get why multiple venues are abiding by such a specific rule, but I'm now pretty certain the band has not said a thing to these people. It just doesn't make sense.

cannot believe folks stillhold on the st louis mess, well okay yes I do undertand but really if he is posing at times for pics then just give it a rest, I don't know why they even bother, okay we get it.... you think and the rest of the world knows Axl's this or that, doesn't do what they always want, then they give him hell for not playing the game as much as other and/or not being out and about or anything else lol,

you know what if he's permanently in the nitwit/jerk section, then he has a whole LOT of roommates <_<

thx Kill Devil Hill (: so we have :

Chinese Democracy

Welcome to the Jungle

It's So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Sorry

Rocket Queen

Estranged

You're Crazy

Used to Love Her

Richard Fortus Guitar Solo [James Bond Theme]

Live and Let Die

Shackler's Revenge

This I Love

Motivation

Street of Dreams

You Could Be Mine

DJ Ashba Guitar Solo [Mi Amor]

Sweet Child O' Mine

Instrumental Jam [Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2]

Axl Rose Piano Solo [Gran Torino/Goodbye Yellow Brick Road/Someone Saved My Life Tonight]

November Rain

Bumblefoot Guitar Solo [Pink Panther Theme]

Don't Cry

Whole Lotta Rosie

Civil War

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Nightrain

Instrumental Jam

Madagascar

Better

Instrumental Jam

Patience

Instrumental Jam

Paradise City

anyone got the set ? seems like a great show (;

Same setlist as the Palladium, but Shackler's was played after LALD (I think) and Rosie was played instead of Riff Raff.

Ali

I was one of the main people fighting you about this, but I actually do think you're right now. I mean, that just strikes me as an odd thing to say. Why say all that instead of just saying, "Band orders?" Something was really fishy about that. I still don't get why multiple venues are abiding by such a specific rule, but I'm now pretty certain the band has not said a thing to these people. It just doesn't make sense.

I think the statement about the camera thing you heard says it all. The venue security staff is making a pre-emptive move to prevent any potential issue. When you have people on this board getting such close pictures of Axl and even mentioning that Axl would wait on stage to make sure they got a pic of him with a banner, it's pretty damn clear the band has no problem with cameras.

As far as multiple venues abiding by the same rule, all I can think is that Axl's reputation precedes him.

Ali

That's what I've been saying all along. Terminal 5 was proof enough, when Fernando requested we be allowed to take pics the venue security told him they'd still boot people for it. The Ritz fed me the same bullshit at the door, but they were cool about everything inside. These rules wouldn't be selectively enforced if it were a band policy, these venues just try to pin everything on Axl because they think everyone will believe it.

"It just doesn't make sense."

Oh it makes sense to me, and as I said this wouldn't be an issue, even with the past rep or not, if the old band was still together (it surely wasn't was it?), while they might have room to be concerned sometimes the straw grasping really shows :rolleyes:

That's what I've been saying all along. Terminal 5 was proof enough, when Fernando requested we be allowed to take pics the venue security told him they'd still boot people for it. The Ritz fed me the same bullshit at the door, but they were cool about everything inside. These rules wouldn't be selectively enforced if it were a band policy, these venues just try to pin everything on Axl because they think everyone will believe it.

The whole no Slash t-shirt conspiracy might be a Livenation thing. The guy at the Chicago HOB's who was saying no Slash shirts or top hats was wearing a yellow "livenation crew" t shirt, it wasn't the gnr camp who were handing out the vip passes, at least in my experience. This might be livenation instituting this policy at their venues possibly because of prior/trying to prevent issues. Now this did not happen at the Norman Oklahoma show last year and the show was not part of the livenation tour, it was put on by local promoters. In fact it was the only show not promoted by livenation on that tour...

Beer Sales Dude: "You hear about the t-shirt rule?"

Me: "Oh please. Someone posted that on the Internet and didn't put 'LOL' at the end, so it's gotta be true, right?"

BSD: "Touché."

Random thoughts on the show:

- Vibe was much better last night. Friday there were a couple of hecklers (who I had a ball yelling at and embarrassing) and it just wasn't the best show I've seen them do although it was definitely passable/not 'bad' by any means. Last night the crowd was either on their feet rocking out or sitting down absorbing new (for most of them) music. Sorry wasn't a 'crowd killer', it still got good applause at the end, but of course people sit down if they don't know a song. I definitely didn't hear any complaints.

- What a difference an 11:45 start time makes compared to 12:30. Also not gonna lie, a seat is a fantastic option for a longass show like this. The sound was the best I've heard at The Wiltern. Great mix.

- The true crowd killer is the whole Motivation/Baba section (sandwiched in between two Chinese ballad epics). There sure are a lot of non-GN'R songs at GN'R shows these days. Of course we more than get our fill of GN'R songs too, but fact remains some of these covers are indeed a drag on the show's energy in my opinion (and most of the crowd's, apparently).

- DJ REALLY needs to lose the almost-top-hat and cigarette thing. Yeah yeah, he designs and makes every stitch of his clothing himself, has worn it since before he joined the band, and it can all be yours as well at ashbaswag.com. I don't care. It's a laughingstock to anyone who (very easily) puts 2 and 2 together (Slash Replacement + Top Hat + Cigarette = WTFAREYOUTHINKINGBRO???) I can defend this band, the quality of their shows, their effort, their competence/talent, and Axl's recent fantastic work ethic all day long, but I can't defend the top hat and cigarette. It is in poor taste and IMPOSSIBLE to defend when random people say, "A top hat and a cigarette? Really?" It takes the focus off the quality of the band, overshadows DJ's ridiculous talent onstage, and totally feeds the "not a real band/hired guns" narrative.

- Favorite people-watching moment of the night = some drunk frat boy dude in the aisle trying to get random dudes in seats in front of him to bro down and embrace during "Estranged". Not that there's anything wrong with that...

- Friend I took isn't a die hard fan but she was adventurous enough to check out a 3 hour show. No complaints or mention about the lineup, no complaints about the Chinese material. She said Axl sounded amazing, she can't believe he's 50, the layered clothing isn't hiding anything (truth hurts haha thought that was cute), the show was too long because of the solos and excess covers, and that it was worth it/she was glad she went. I'd say that's a fair assessment from a casual observer.

Aaaaaand that's about it. Thanks to Axl and Co. for a great weekend!!

I actually don't remember Gran Torino being played either, now that I think about it. I think it was just the Elton John songs. Not a big deal, but for the sake of accuracy. Unless anyone else remembers and I just missed it.

Thanks for posting this. I actually pretty much missed this whole song because I was standing by a security guy who was yelling and making bets about whether the next song was the last song. Are there any other videos up? I'd like to hear if You're Crazy and This I Love were as amazing as they sounded at the concert. Jungle was mindblowing, too. Axl was full of rasp the whole show. Maybe not in SCOM, but I couldn't tell because everyone was singing along.

I haven't slept in 26+ hours, but I'm too excited to sleep. The concert was amazing, seriously. You guys were absolutely correct when you said the YouTube videos/livestreams are completely incomparable to the real thing.

Edited by Kill Devil Hill

the show was too long because of the solos and excess covers

I tend to agree with this but it really stands out when the shows finish so late. If the show went from 9pm-12am then it wouldn't feel as long. I would rotate them or leave out Tommy's entirely. But then again, it's a good time for a piss break :)

- DJ REALLY needs to lose the almost-top-hat and cigarette thing. Yeah yeah, he designs and makes every stitch of his clothing himself, has worn it since before he joined the band, and it can all be yours as well at ashbaswag.com. I don't care. It's a laughingstock to anyone who (very easily) puts 2 and 2 together (Slash Replacement + Top Hat + Cigarette = WTFAREYOUTHINKINGBRO???) I can defend this band, the quality of their shows, their effort, their competence/talent, and Axl's recent fantastic work ethic all day long, but I can't defend the top hat and cigarette. It is in poor taste and IMPOSSIBLE to defend when random people say, "A top hat and a cigarette? Really?" It takes the focus off the quality of the band, overshadows DJ's ridiculous talent onstage, and totally feeds the "not a real band/hired guns" narrative.

As you stated DJ had the hat a cig before GNR, why should he loose it?

If anyone can mistake DJ for Slash on stage has to be smokin' crack, DJ looks young and youthfull....Slash on the other hand looks his age, he is on the heavy side with a face that has so much puffyness to it and really makes him look his age plus some, just as Axl looks his age but I feel Axl has aged better.

I could care less abouth the top hat, what looks more silly a hat and a cig or a KFC bucket on your head with facemask and a rain coat??????????? Now be honest and not say bucket could play circles around DJ, he most likely could but who REALLY looks more silly and who would be taken more seriously????

Sidenote about DJ, what he did during Nightrain was awesome. He started walking into the crowd (a plus about the awful crowd was that they started shoving and I ended up smacking into DJ) and he went into the VIP section and started playing to the handicapped fellows. That was so cool of him.

I actually don't remember Gran Torino being played either, now that I think about it. I think it was just the Elton John songs. Not a big deal, but for the sake of accuracy. Unless anyone else remembers and I just missed it.

Thanks for posting this. I actually pretty much missed this whole song because I was standing by a security guy who was yelling and making bets about whether the next song was the last song. Are there any other videos up? I'd like to hear if You're Crazy and This I Love were as amazing as they sounded at the concert. Jungle was mindblowing, too. Axl was full of rasp the whole show. Maybe not in SCOM, but I couldn't tell because everyone was singing along.

I haven't slept in 26+ hours, but I'm too excited to sleep. The concert was amazing, seriously. You guys were absolutely correct when you said the YouTube videos/livestreams are completely incomparable to the real thing.

fuck off that security guy ! oh how much boring that seems to be. a security guy who bets about the show, SHUT UP AND DO YOUR JOB - :rofl-lol: just kidding.

- Paradise City, i think it's the best perfomance since 2010 ? Edited by FabioRoses