The Meaning of 'Sorry'

Jordan Rose

maybe he's sorry he broke up the AFD lineup?

Funny. More likely he's sorry he ever hooked up with them in the 1st place.

thats why half his live set is music from that era :thumbsup:

and he plays at most 4 songs of democracy :sleeper:

Just did some fact checking for you and at the most recent show they played, they played 7 from Appetite, 7 from CD and a few from illusions and lies.

7 is more than 4. If you had payed attention in pre-school, you might have known that.

OMG, he added a couple off Democracy - but you forgot about the 12 band jams/solo's/covers not counting LALD, KOHD which would be 14 - not sure why that seems excessive to me, if I went to one of these shows I'd be :sleeper: :sleeper: :sleeper: :sleeper:

Najhir, on 24 June 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

SETLIST

Chinese Democracy

Welcome to the Jungle

It’s So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Sorry

Rocket Queen

Estranged

Better

Richard Fortus Guitar Solo

Live and Let Die

This I Love

Used to love her :-/

Motivation (Tommy Stinson solo)

Dizzy Reed Piano Solo (Baba O’ Riley)

Street of Dreams

You Could Be Mine

DJ Ashba Guitar Solo (Ballad Of Death)

Sweet Child O’ Mine

Jam (Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2)

Axl Rose Piano Solo (Someone Saved My Life Tonight/Goodbye Yellowbrick Road)

November Rain

Bumblefoot Solo (Glad to Be Here)

Don’t Cry

Civil War

Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door

Nightrain

Encore:

Band Jam

Madagascar

Band Jam

Whole lotta Rosie

Band Jam

Patience

Band Jam

Paradise City

by Jarmo

Holy shit what was that a dissertation? It doesn't take an entire essay to prove the song is about Slash, all it takes is open ears. Sure fine, the "you" in the song could be a collective "you" of slash, old band members, fans, media, what-have-you but I'd feel safe betting that the collective "you" wears a top hat and plays a les paul.

thats why half his live set is music from that era :thumbsup:

and he plays at most 4 songs of democracy :sleeper:

Just did some fact checking for you and at the most recent show they played, they played 7 from Appetite, 7 from CD and a few from illusions and lies.

7 is more than 4. If you had payed attention in pre-school, you might have known that.

OMG, he added a couple off Democracy - but you forgot about the 12 band jams/solo's/covers not counting LALD, KOHD which would be 14 - not sure why that seems excessive to me, if I went to one of these shows I'd be :sleeper: :sleeper: :sleeper: :sleeper:

Najhir, on 24 June 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

SETLIST

Chinese Democracy

Welcome to the Jungle

It’s So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Sorry

Rocket Queen

Estranged

Better

Richard Fortus Guitar Solo

Live and Let Die

This I Love

Used to love her :-/

Motivation (Tommy Stinson solo)

Dizzy Reed Piano Solo (Baba O’ Riley)

Street of Dreams

You Could Be Mine

DJ Ashba Guitar Solo (Ballad Of Death)

Sweet Child O’ Mine

Jam (Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2)

Axl Rose Piano Solo (Someone Saved My Life Tonight/Goodbye Yellowbrick Road)

November Rain

Bumblefoot Solo (Glad to Be Here)

Don’t Cry

Civil War

Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door

Nightrain

Encore:

Band Jam

Madagascar

Band Jam

Whole lotta Rosie

Band Jam

Patience

Band Jam

Paradise City

by Jarmo

Why would I care if a setlitst entertains you or not? I like 3 of the solos and the band jams are one of my favorite parts of the show. I also like the covers.

Do you care?

To each his own-but I'd rather not pay $100 to see it; wait till 11pm and then have to worry about public transportation on the way home

That's completely understandable. I wouldn't expect you to. I wouldn't either if I didn't have it worked out beforehand.

"But i don't want to do it.."

Has the singing style of this one line ever been covered by Axl via a question from an interviewer ?

Some say it has Eminem connotations.

Actually, yes, he addressed the way he sang that line specifically.

He said something along the lines of it just felt right to sing it that way. I'll go find the exact quote, though.

Has the singing style of this one line ever been covered by Axl via a question from an interviewer ?

I'll let someone else find the EXACT quote but yea he did, it was long the lines of 'it was just a joke type thing and it felt/sounded right...'

This is why Axl is a great song writer.

The songs can be interpreted into so many different ways about Axl's past and in any ones personal lives.

Reference slash, Axl said to one forum member when asked about VR "We'll save this one. These are highly charged areas..." So, as off 2008 he had deep anger towards the band (who even mocked him and bucket in a halloween tv show).

There is a similar theme on the album of anger, struggle, depression and fighting back.

However, we must respect Axl's personal life in terms of his own interests that we don't know off, that could be the inspiration for these songs.

Yea, I bet he regrets it every time he spends his money.

Well- good point. Maybe he wishes he made AFD with people other than them. *He likes Izzy, has made peace with Duff & hates Slash/Steven. So we'll say regrets meeting Slash n Steven.

2 things, Duff was about to quit the band but Slash and Steven joining the band changed that. Also there would be no WTTG, SCOM, Rocket Queen, or Paradise City and because Duff would have quit there would also be no It's So Easy

Well- good point. Maybe he wishes he made AFD with people other than them. *He likes Izzy, has made peace with Duff & hates Slash/Steven. So we'll say regrets meeting Slash n Steven.

2 things, Duff was about to quit the band but Slash and Steven joining the band changed that. Also there would be no WTTG, SCOM, Rocket Queen, or Paradise City and because Duff would have quit there would also be no It's So Easy

Too bad for Axl they all ever joined.

I'll let someone else find the EXACT quote but yea he did, it was long the lines of 'it was just a joke type thing and it felt/sounded right...'

I think he said it was fun to do it like that. Which you can see live.

Too bad for Axl they all ever joined.

AFD was lightning in a bottle. Without that chemistry, they wouldn't have been successful

Some good thoughts here, but I think the song is more about the faceless haters with a dash of Slash in it.

You talk too much

You say I do

The difference is nobody cares about you

Doesn't add up that this would be a line about Slash. Axl knows well that Slash is very popular, very doubtful this line is about him. But apply it to the faceless haters on the internet that have nothing better to do with their time other then taunt and ridicule Axl and it makes a ton more sense.

Take a theoretical person, call him HisTrollingSweetness. If he were real and you clicked on his profile and looked at his recent posts or topics, you wouldn't find nary a one where he does not slip in an outright insult to Axl or the forum. At the end of the day however, who is HisTrollingSweetness? He exists only in the world of this forum. Outside of his own delusions, who has he convinced to hate Axl? Nobody, because he is nobody. Axl is and will forever be Axl Rose and as long as he is willing to sing, people will go see him. If Axl wants to do an interview or make a statement, there will be people to come and listen to it. HisTrollingSweetness is just a man-child desperately seeking acknowledgement from Axl in the most base way he knows how, hurling inflammatory remarks in every direction.

I do think the lines are about Slash.:

You tell them stories they'd rather believe

Use and confuse them

They're numb and naïve

I would say there is still some confusion with Slash cupcakes flaming here still, almost 20 years after the break up. I would also say anyone who thinks it's all Axl or all Slash and doesn't believe it takes two to tango is naive. I also think the people who don't easily spot pro Slash flamers are not naive or stupid, simply numb. It's been something they have heard for going on 20 years. It's like those parents you see in the supermarket with their kids jumping around, screaming, and saying "mommy mommy I want I want" And the parent doesn't even seem to notice them, you know what I'm talking about? Those parents aren't stupid or naive, they are simply numb to it.

The truth is the truth hurts

Don't you agree?

It's harder to live

With the truth about you

Than to live with

The lies about me

I think Axl has been pretty open about there being 2 sides to the story.

But, since none of us are Axl I guess we'll never know... except for maybe i]theoretical person, call him HisTrollingSweetness who is totally an insider.

I guess that is what Slash told him to do with that Snakepit material. But I guess the song is about Axl's frustration with how people don't believe him...not sure though, "You choose to hurt those that love you and won't set them free" - again Slash hurt the fans by leaving and won't set us free by telling the truth or letting Axl release an album.

Holy shit what was that a dissertation? It doesn't take an entire essay to prove the song is about Slash, all it takes is open ears. Sure fine, the "you" in the song could be a collective "you" of slash, old band members, fans, media, what-have-you but I'd feel safe betting that the collective "you" wears a top hat and plays a les paul.

It shouldn't take any entire essay but as you can see from the first few pages of responses, many people have a random opinion they can't back up with anything: 'It's about Adler and management, why would he write a song about Slash?' so I felt compelled to use every argument available. I'm glad all the sensible people agree.

It's about Slash and to Slash. Simple.

One lyric I don't get is "you know where to put your". Put your what? Probably an 'in' message about something Slash said to him like "just shut up and sing".

Good post and discussion.

Is this a serious question?

It's "you know where to put your just shut up and sing".

Ya know? Like telling whoever told him that to shove it up their ass.

Could be about Slash or it could be about how the media always blames Axl for stuff.

It just could be about anyone who's fucked Axl over in his life. He could begin with his parents and go on to probably alot of people.

When you are a rich rock star there are tons of people who want a piece of you and not because they are your friends, but just to hang with you and suck up all your fame. I'm sure plenty of famous people have those so called friends in their lives.

Unfortunately it's part of the whole fame package and eventually you learn to pick and choose the right people to be your real friends. But then again there are still some people who never learn that. I think Axl has learned who his real friends are now.

I also think Sorry could be a song alot of us can relate to, maybe not literally, but the meaning behind the lyrics. I know I could, believe me.

SLASH's YOUR A LIE IS ABOUT AXL!

So?

THERE IS NO SO. MAYBE IT HAS ALREADY BEEN SAID IN THIS THREAD BUT I DIDNT WANT TO READ TROUGH 7 PAGES OF THIS STUFF.

Settle down, there's no need to yell.

What relevance does that have on whether parts of Sorry are about Slash or not?