I think global warming is far worse than people think.

arnold layne

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Global warming exists as glaciations exist, but what we don't know is whether the human being impact has something to do with it or not. :shrugs:

Well, the consensus among geoscientific researchers is that you are full of shit! Hate to be so blunt, but I have nothing but contempt for science deniers and liars.

EDIT: If you are a fool, I am sorry. But, you are still wrong.

Edited by Thelonious

Global warming exists as glaciations exist, but what we don't know is whether the human being impact has something to do with it or not. :shrugs:

Well, the consensus among geoscientific researchers is that you are full of shit! Hate to be so blunt, but I have nothing but contempt for science deniers and liars.

Thank fuck there's someone in this thread who is not a moron.

Thank fuck there's someone in this thread who is not a moron.

+1

I'm sorry izzygirl but you're completely wrong. The argument is NOT (in my opinion) whether the increasing CO2 (which is known and can be shown to be a "greenhouse gas" from basic science) concentrations in the atmosphere cause a long term trend to increase the Earth's temperature. It's whether we're reading a point of "no return" and pushing the Earth past it's usual cycles of hot-cold-hot due to man made CO2.

To reiterate, man made CO2 DOES increase the temperature of the Earth, this is not disputed. It's just whether we're pumping enough of it to push the Earth past it's usual cycle.

Anyone that disputes the evidence of science is an idiot. I have faith that the people that study atmospheric science know a hell of a lot more about it than most people in this thread.

Edited by Aaron_H

You have clearly misunderstood me. I'm not a science denier at all (in fact, quite the opposite).

It's obvious that we are responsible for a lot of environmental issues. We can't deny acid rain is our fault, deforestation in places like the Amazon rainforest is a really big problem (including weather consequences) and it's a perfect proof of human stupidity; our oceans are huge dumps and the air we breath is worse and worse...

But, among all these issues (and many others I didn't mention), global warming isn't the most noticeable. There were ice ages and a lot of changes on Earth during millions of years. Maybe we are accelarating the process but weather is going to change anyway eventually.

All I was trying to say is that it's not our biggest problem. :shrugs:

P.S. : Thanks for your kind words. :lol:

I don't have the best understanding of science but I do know throughout history the planet has cold periods and warm periods. The dawn of the human race came out of the Ice Age. Around the year 1,000 there was a warming period. It is also very likely that mass industry carbon dioxide emissions, deforesstations have contributed to natural emissions from say, volcanos.

This is not like parking a car in your driveway two inches to the right and nobody would notice. The slightest upset of balance can cause severe reactions.

The idea that we have nothing to do woth it is absolutely disgusting. Yes it's natural, but to think we have not sped it up/made it worse is naive.

Also, you gotta love the way Faux News talking heads see one big snowstorm and say "eh, so much for global warming, huh?!" Yeah, okay fuckos. Let's completely ignore the fact that it snowed once this entire winter for a good portion of the northeastern United States, and that it was cold for maybe one week. Fucking idiots.

Edited by GnRDuff1

To reiterate, man made CO2 DOES increase the temperature of the Earth, this is not disputed. It's just whether we're pumping enough of it to push the Earth past it's usual cycle.

I know and I wasn't denying that fact. My point was different but I'm too lazy to express myself properly. :P

Edited by izzygirl

I think that the term "global warming", as Dazey said makes it all too easy for those who want to stick their heads in the sand to say "durrhurr It was cold, so much for that theory." The general trend of warming due to increased concentrations of greenhouse gases in the Earth's atmosphere can have -and is having- a variety of effects on different areas of the Earth's atmosphere, this is a messy, fluctuating process as with anything natural. Its effects are currently being worst felt inbetween the tropics where Cyclonic storm severity is increasing in regions like Bangladesh whilst traditional rainfall phenomena like the Monsoon have altered to the point that agricultural methods which have stood fast for generations are suddenly inadequate for the conditions.

It is worth noting the potential for global cooling caused by the current process of climate change, if the polar ice caps melt and there is no longer a cooling agent like the arctic to perpetuate the motion of the North Atlantic Drift that could shut down the draw of warm water from the Gulf of Mexico up to Northern Europe, meaning life there could become like life in Siberia... Problem?

I know and I wasn't denying that fact. My point was different but I'm too lazy to express myself properly. :P

Sorry, I wasn't specifically speaking to you with that point.

I think that the term "global warming", as Dazey said makes it all too easy for those who want to stick their heads in the sand to say "durrhurr It was cold, so much for that theory." The general trend of warming due to increased concentrations of greenhouse gases in the Earth's atmosphere can have -and is having- a variety of effects on different areas of the Earth's atmosphere, this is a messy, fluctuating process as with anything natural.

Many people (even in this thread) have shown an inability to understand what long term averages are.

Hey, the rest made sense.

Yeah it did, I'm sorry for picking on you there man but the first part is where so many people who haven't a clue start and shouldn't go any further. But yeah, the rest did make sense. :)

I don't think there's any real doubt climate change is happening but not to the fearmongering, doomsday prediciting extent made by some in the past. One of the scientists who was originally a driving force behind the environmentalist movement, James Lovelock, who once claimed 80% of humans would perish before 2100 has recently came out and admitted that he and others were "unduly alarmist" about climate change.

Nature is adapting. Bird's migration patterns are changing. Plant's are creeping further North. Man will adapt too.

Whether there is point-of-no-return climate change or not I think that it is the responsibility of us all to look after the planet better than we are doing. It doesn't belong to us and we have only been here a very short period of time (no, not 6000 years...).

I don't think there's any real doubt climate change is happening but not to the fearmongering, doomsday prediciting extent made by some in the past. One of the scientists who was originally a driving force behind the environmentalist movement, James Lovelock, who once claimed 80% of humans would perish before 2100 has recently came out and admitted that he and others were "unduly alarmist" about climate change.

Nature is adapting. Bird's migration patterns are changing. Plant's are creeping further North. Man will adapt too.

That doesn't mean adaptation is going to be easy, or cheap or bloodless unfortunately.

That doesn't mean adaptation is going to be easy, or cheap or bloodless unfortunately.

True. I'm not saying we don't need to bother taking care of the planet or that it will simply sort itself out. Mankind must still attempt to lower its greenhouse gas emissions. But it's not "far worse than people think". Global temperatures since the turn of the millennium have not gone up in the way computer-based climate models predicted.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I'm a bit more concerned about global de-forestation. This world's all about balance, IMO.

You know, they're somewhat related as well. Because the trees take care of CO2, which is the cause of the global warming.

i don't have a good handle on what the popular opinion is concerning global warming or if you like climate change but i watched a documentary on the children of men dvd and a scientist said that the world is an old lady and we are giving her the flu. i thought it was quite an elegant way to put it.

Youre just looking for any reason for it all to end aren't you arnold?

Global warming, global cooling, it's natural. Don't be so arrogant to think this is caused by people.

How can you even think that? The amount of CO2 we pump into the atmosphere is ridiculous.

I've always wondered why Americans are more sceptical about climate change than anybody else.

If anything I think it's more arrogant to ignore the findings of scientists who have spent their lives researching something just because you have a gut feeling they're wrong or because you don't like their findings.

Not all Americans are skeptical mate just the conservative Republican types from my experience..........

I'm a bit more concerned about global de-forestation. This world's all about balance, IMO.

You know, they're somewhat related as well. Because the trees take care of CO2, which is the cause of the global warming.

Yeah, I know. It just seems like considering the point we're at with fossil fuels, it'd be a "easier" path to try and perserve the rainforests and such.

Humans won't go extinct unless something massive happens. Really massive. Like a moon sized asteroid or something. We're so much more advanced than say dinosaurs basically anything could happen and we'll emerge from a bunker somewhere and re-populate.

Anyway, I think most of you are right. Climate change IS a bigger problem than we let on and the fact the debate still exists, between the fucking leaders of the free world at that, is fucking disgusting. It's bad for economics that's the only reason people deny it. I know the Earth has had warmer periods and climate cycles are natural but humans are basically everywhere. HUGE cities, HUGE amounts of wastes, HUGE amounts of deforestation (plants take in C02 and give off O2 remember).... It's just crazy to me. Our world has grown exponentially since the industrial revolution and progress has always trumped cautious caring for resources so I don't see it changing. It is scary. I find it very scary.

But, like almost all of you, as scary as I find it... I'm going to drive tonight, I'm going to buy kiwis exported from the other side of the world instead of local apples, I'm going to leave the kitchen light on as well as the living room light while I'm up at night to see easier, etc etc. It's depressing in a way. Everyone's a hypocrite and no one does enough.

Edited by The_Universal_Sigh