Jimmy Crespo & Rick Dufay

The Real McCoy

I have a strange fascination with this era of Aerosmith. For as lost of a cause as Tyler was at that point, "Rock in a Hard Place" is a seriously underrated album. I love it, as a matter of fact.

It's obvious that Steven and Crespo were forming a songwriting partnership - and Jimmy could flat out PLAY. The Largo '80 show is on YouTube..check it out.

Rick held down the rhythm section, and it seems that he was almost underused in that lineup. He wrote a song for the album that wasn't used, "Written In Stone" - it could have been a hit if it made the cut.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Joe and Brad eventually came back, but I'd have been really interested to see where a second album with Crespo and Dufay would have taken the band.

same i love rock in a hard place crespo is a great guitar player and i think him and tyler were really gelling like you said i think they could have done great things. i havent liked a single aerosmith album since rock in a hard place :(

same i love rock in a hard place crespo is a great guitar player and i think him and tyler were really gelling like you said i think they could have done great things. i havent liked a single aerosmith album since rock in a hard place :(

I grew up on late '80s / early '90s Aero, so it's hard for me to talk bad about those albums.

The RIAHP demos are interesting to listen to. Multiple takes of Tyler just scatting over the music because he was too wasted to write lyrics.

Richie Supa gave them "Lightning Strikes" as a finished song, so Steven only had to be coherent for 5 minutes to lay down the vocals.

"Riff & Roll" could have turned out to be a solid track if they had fleshed it out a bit more...it probably would have made the 2nd album if it ever materialized.

And of course, Rick's "Written In Stone" AKA "The Bus Song"..

I grew up on late '80s / early '90s Aero, so it's hard for me to talk bad about those albums.

The RIAHP demos are interesting to listen to. Multiple takes of Tyler just scatting over the music because he was too wasted to write lyrics.

Richie Supa gave them "Lightning Strikes" as a finished song, so Steven only had to be coherent for 5 minutes to lay down the vocals.

"Riff & Roll" could have turned out to be a solid track if they had fleshed it out a bit more...it probably would have made the 2nd album if it ever materialized.

And of course, Rick's "Written In Stone" AKA "The Bus Song"..

i grew up in the 90s and 2000s still didnt like them :tongue2:

my dad is a huge aerosmith fan so those 70s albums so thats what i grew up on , i did give those 90s and 2000s albums a spin or 2 but i just didnt like them at all permanent vacation was probably the best one after rock in a hard place

Rock in a Hard Place is pretty cool record with good songs. It has a bit dark feeling to it, but it still kicks ass. Nothing can beat the original line-up (or should I say classic, on this forum you can't be too careful), but they did a pretty good job on that one. Aerosmith's worst record is Done with Mirrors. Though, it has one their best songs, Let the Music Do the Talking (Joe Perry kicks so much ass), but the rest is shit and boring. I actually love every Aerosmith album, besides Mirrors. My favorite is Nine Lives. It's absolutely amazing and it hasn't aged a bit. It still sounds fresh to this day. But then again, it was my first record that I bought so I might be a tad biased :D. I also like Just Push Play. What can I say? I'm huge Aerosmith-fan :D... Can't wait for the new one! :)

Edited by jekylhyde

Rock in a Hard Place is pretty cool record with good songs. It has a bit dark feeling to it, but it still kicks ass. Nothing can beat the original line-up (or should I say classic, on this forum you can't be too careful), but they did a pretty good job on that one. Aerosmith's worst record is Done with Mirrors. Though, it has one their best songs, Let the Music Do the Talking (Joe Perry kicks so much ass), but the rest is shit and boring. I actually love every Aerosmith album, besides Mirrors. My favorite is Nine Lives. It's absolutely amazing and it hasn't aged a bit. It still sounds fresh to this day. But then again, it was my first record that I bought so I might be a tad biased :D. I also like Just Push Play. What can I say? I'm huge Aerosmith-fan :D... Can't wait for the new one! :)

There's a few really solid songs on DWM. In addition to LTMDTT, I love "My Fist Your Face" and "Shame On You." Also a fan of "The Hop" and the others are alright as well.

Most of DWM was knocked out in one or two takes, so that explains A LOT.

I should've given this stuff more of a chance, but I heard Lightning Strikes and went "nope".

Really? I would think that most fans of "Classic" Aerosmith would dig that tune.

yeah especially with that badass riff

I should've given this stuff more of a chance, but I heard Lightning Strikes and went "nope".

Really? I would think that most fans of "Classic" Aerosmith would dig that tune.

It always struck me as a song that could have been on Draw The Line.

I have no prob with that Aerosmith era.

I had a chance to see the Joe Perry Project during that time frame in a club that holds about 350 people but I ended up sick as a dog.

To this day I hear about how amazing it was..

It always struck me as a song that could have been on Draw The Line.

I have no prob with that Aerosmith era.

I had a chance to see the Joe Perry Project during that time frame in a club that holds about 350 people but I ended up sick as a dog.

To this day I hear about how amazing it was..

LOVE the first JPP record.

That initial lineup was awesome.

"Lightning Strikes" was the song that got me into Aerosmith back in the day. I was 12 years old when Rock In A Hard Place was released. At the time I knew nothin' about the band, I didn't know that the wasn't recorded by the "real" Aerosmith lineup, but I didn't care one way or the other, I simply thought that it was a great song, and the rest of the album is pretty sweet too. It's still a sentimental favorite to this day.

"Lightning Strikes" was the song that got me into Aerosmith back in the day. I was 12 years old when Rock In A Hard Place was released. At the time I knew nothin' about the band, I didn't know that the wasn't recorded by the "real" Aerosmith lineup, but I didn't care one way or the other, I simply thought that it was a great song, and the rest of the album is pretty sweet too. It's still a sentimental favorite to this day.

This. I'm really shocked that the album so poorly received back when it was initially released.

This. I'm really shocked that the album so poorly received back when it was initially released.

Sometimes it's better to go back and give something a listen that was poorly received at the time. Music should be re-evaluated. Some bands disown stuff when it was negative at the time, but it winds up being a cult favorite.

Sometimes it's better to go back and give something a listen that was poorly received at the time. Music should be re-evaluated. Some bands disown stuff when it was negative at the time, but it winds up being a cult favorite.

They did "Lightning Strikes" with Joe and Brad in '87, and it hasn't been played since. I'd love if they would bring that one back!

Bring Jimmy and Rick in for a guest appearance while they're at it. :)

Night in the Ruts was not well received and only went Gold and hardcore fans rejected the band without Joe and Brad so Rock did not fair much better......Steven was a mess and they were down to playing theaters back then...I saw them live in 75, 76, 77, and 78 and they got progressively sloppier with the 78 show being a train wreck..Joe could barely play and Steven couldn't remember the words to songs at times..never saw the Rock in a Hard Place lineup though.......

They were amazing in 75 at the Schaefer Music Fest in Central Park NYC...with a young Ted Nugent opening...Ted almost stole the show playing his whole first solo album...........you can hear the complete Aerosmith show streaming for free on Wolfgangs Vault once you register...they also have a short JPP concert from 1980 streaming...............

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/aerosmith/concerts/central-park-august-29-1975.html

Edited by classicrawker

Night in the Ruts was not well received and only went Gold and hardcore fans rejected the band without Joe and Brad so Rock did not fair much better......Steven was a mess and they were down to playing theaters back then...I saw them live in 75, 76, 77, and 78 and they got progressively sloppier with the 78 show being a train wreck..Joe could barely play and Steven couldn't remember the words to songs at times..never saw the Rock in a Hard Place lineup though.......

They were amazing in 75 at the Schaefer Music Fest in Central Park NYC...with a young Ted Nugent opening...Ted almost stole the show playing his whole first solo album...........you can hear the complete Aerosmith show streaming for free on Wolfgangs Vault once you register...they also have a short JPP concert from 1980 streaming...............

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/aerosmith/concerts/central-park-august-29-1975.html

I have the three known SBDs from the RIAHP tour, and I agree...Steven was a mess. It's a miracle that he remembered ANY lyrics whatsoever.

I have the three known SBDs from the RIAHP tour, and I agree...Steven was a mess. It's a miracle that he remembered ANY lyrics whatsoever.

If you don't already have it get a copy of the two 1977 Houston proshot videos...Joe is a beat behind the rest of the band and Brad carries him..Steven is in another world..sadly there is very little video of them from the classic 70's tours and this along with Texxas Jam and California Jam are the best we have........I would kill for a complete 75 proshot show as they were still firing on all cylinders back then

If you don't already have it get a copy of the two 1977 Houston proshot videos...Joe is a beat behind the rest of the band and Brad carries him..Steven is in another world..sadly there is very little video of them from the classic 70's tours and this along with Texxas Jam and California Jam are the best we have........I would kill for a complete 75 proshot show as they were still firing on all cylinders back then

I have a show from '74 at My Father's Place in Long Island. Complete show except for Train which was subbed in from a show in '78.

I have a '73 show from Oreno, ME somewhere too.

Edited by The Real McCoy

I have a show from '74 at My Father's Place in Long Island. Complete show except for Train which was subbed in from a show in '78.

Yeah I have a bunch of 70's audio but I was talking proshot video...not much from the 70's

Yeah I have a bunch of 70's audio but I was talking proshot video...not much from the 70's

There's a Largo, MD show from '78 on YouTube and one from '80 with Jimmy. Both are pro shot and pretty good. Jimmy rips Train a new one.

Saw them at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto '77..amazing!

Saw them again at a festival in Toronto '79..messed up but still cool as fuck! I had no major beefs with it,but then again,I'd been there since noon,so,judgement may have been impaired. :tongue2:

I have audio bootlegs of both shows.

Ted Nugent was on the bill as well at the '79 festival,almost stole the show.

Nazareth,Johhny Winter and a few others also on the bill.

The guy that hands down walked away owning that gig was Johnny..even the cops diverted their attention to the stage and watched him,blistering set!

But yeah,Aerosmith.. didn't see them again until '94...didn't have that Toxic Twin era vibe. :shrugs:

Saw them again at a festival in Toronto '79..messed up but still cool as fuck! I had no major beefs with it,but then again,I'd been there since noon,so,judgement may have been impaired. :tongue2:

The guy that hands down walked away owning that gig was Johnny..even the cops diverted their attention to the stage and watched him,blistering set!

But yeah,Aerosmith.. didn't see them again until '94...didn't have that Toxic Twin era vibe. :shrugs:

Toronto '79...with Joe or Jimmy?

Before he got political Uncle Ted was amazing in the 70's...and Johnny Winter is one of the most underrated guitarists in rock history IMHO.....

Every rock fan needs a copy of Johnny Winter And live...what a kick ass band

I am a hardcore Aerosmith fan but it was disappointing to see them go down hill from 75 to 79.....

Edited by classicrawker