Gunman shot dead 10 people at dark night premiere

Guest Gunns

I also read the Westboro Baptist Church were planning to picket the vigil for the victims with signs saying God Sent The Shooter but photoshopped photos instead. Also a leader of a church has come out and said those killed who were Christians will go to heaven but those who weren't will go straight to hell. :bitchfight:

And they wonder why people are turning away from church these days. :confused:

I was actually going to make a prediction about how long it would take to get Westboro Baptist Church to show up, but I thought mentioning it would be in poor taste.

Churches where the pastor would say something horrible like that are so rare and do not reflect the values of really any religion at all. I would say at least 999 out of 1000 churches would never say or think something like that. But the 1 out of 1000 makes the airwaves because it makes more entertaining news, and then that paints people a very inaccurate portrait of religion.

Anyway, enough of that. The last thing we need is to make this another religion thread!!!

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has really sparked an interesting debate, we can see how everybody disagrees & points out their reasons why & although we can't see each other's points of view it is so interesting to read.

I see the young kid (thats what he looks like to me) has appeared in court and looks totally out of it. I wonder if we'll ever know what set him off, why he went off the rails when he seemed to have such a good future ahead of him - at 24yrs of age all he has now to look forward to is life in jail. So sad.

I also read the Westboro Baptist Church were planning to picket the vigil for the victims with signs saying God Sent The Shooter but photoshopped photos instead. Also a leader of a church has come out and said those killed who were Christians will go to heaven but those who weren't will go straight to hell. :bitchfight:

I'm not going to turn this into a religious debate and this'll be my only post about it here, but if you are a Christian then you believe that those who have not repented and accepted Jesus as their saviour will be sent to hell, so the preacher is correct on that count. His timing sucks but his word is true, if you believe that kind of stuff.

As for the picture of the guy in the supermarket, you do not see things like that in the USA. I think that there are some huge misconceptions about firearms by people who do not live in America and/or who haven't been around guns a lot. I'm not American but I do live there and do "get" the mentality of why people choose to own and operate guns.

As an American, the only guns I've ever really seen out in the open is in a holster on a cop's belt or being held by a guard as I'm driving through a military installation. They are certainly out there, but not out in the open. Inside the homes of some people, though, you can find what I would consider an unhealthy almost worshiping of guns.

This has really sparked an interesting debate, we can see how everybody disagrees & points out their reasons why & although we can't see each other's points of view it is so interesting to read.

I see the young kid (thats what he looks like to me) has appeared in court and looks totally out of it. I wonder if we'll ever know what set him off, why he went off the rails when he seemed to have such a good future ahead of him - at 24yrs of age all he has now to look forward to is life in jail. So sad.

I'm not going to turn this into a religious debate and this'll be my only post about it here, but if you are a Christian then you believe that those who have not repented and accepted Jesus as their saviour will be sent to hell, so the preacher is correct on that count. His timing sucks but his word is true, if you believe that kind of stuff.

As for the picture of the guy in the supermarket, you do not see things like that in the USA. I think that there are some huge misconceptions about firearms by people who do not live in America and/or who haven't been around guns a lot. I'm not American but I do live there and do "get" the mentality of why people choose to own and operate guns.

this is what i think as well

while reading some posts by people that dont live in the US i think some of them only know what they see on tv or read about online where they get the idea of the cartoonish image people try to promote as the typical US gun owner

As an American, the only guns I've ever really seen out in the open is in a holster on a cop's belt or being held by a guard as I'm driving through a military installation. They are certainly out there, but not out in the open. Inside the homes of some people, though, you can find what I would consider an unhealthy almost worshiping of guns.

Duuuuuuude.

You ain't lying. I've seen an ironclad room with a collection of weapons that would put most reserve/national guard units to shame. I don't think it's any more unhealthy than the guy who spends hours on end talking about cinema or his DPS build on WoW. It's just a lot more expensive and you probably have a couple more friends.

Sometimes it is accompanied with the delusion that he and his drinking buddies will be ready when it's time to take down a corrupt government and reinstate an authentic Uncle Sam, though, and they meet once every two months to train for just such an event. Next month it's Jeb's turn to provide the Icehouse for the post-training cool-down.

That's some hardcore right-wing isolationist shit. Most of what I see is a hobby covered with grumblings about the TSA, Obama, Eric Holder and MSNBC. Most of them have menial jobs and use those delusions to mask and excite their boring lives. When it boils down to it though, most of them are putting in a weeks worth and dealing with the same grind. At least they have a community though. And I think when you've got an honest community, you're not going to get the freaks that commit these atrocities.

I know, I was just funnin'. What I described is few and far between. A more common romance with firearms is like what my grandparents have, but i don't want to go there. It will piss me off too much.

Ahhh. Okay.

The most odd, and hilarious, fascination with a gun I've ever seen was in Northern California. Buddy of mine is 1/8th Karuk Indian and we went to visit his family in a logging town/tribal community. Had a BBQ with his uncle and after awhile he opens his gun safe to show us his collection. One of the rifles was old looking, tattered and probably didn't fire. It had been passed down his family line for some generations. He turned the gun around and pointed out the notches from the white men that gun had helped scalp. My friend thought it was awesome and all it got out of me was some nervous laughter.

Edited by AbominableHoman

In many states (I don't know how many) they have open carry laws. Have a belt holstered gun, you can walk around in public. The police will certainly give you shit for it because people will be scared, but all you have to do is respectfully ask if there is any reason for them to stop you, if need be inform them of the law, and be on your way. Look up open carry on youtube.

This dude is from my hometown.

Basically he just does his best to antagonize the local police by openly carrying weapons throughout the town. Total fool imo.

yeah that guy is a tool

I don't deny that people filming shit like that is asking for trouble, but the point is that they get harassed while being completely law abiding. Carrying into a police station is fucking stupid, but walking around out in public open carrying is within your rights to do so. Once you walk onto private property, ie a store, they can tell you that you can't have it on their property, but sidewalks, public buildings, etc. are all legal open carries.

Basically he just does his best to antagonize the local police by openly carrying weapons throughout the town. Total fool imo.

yeah that guy is a tool

I don't deny that people filming shit like that is asking for trouble, but the point is that they get harassed while being completely law abiding. Carrying into a police station is fucking stupid, but walking around out in public open carrying is within your rights to do so. Once you walk onto private property, ie a store, they can tell you that you can't have it on their property, but sidewalks, public buildings, etc. are all legal open carries.

It's important to keep that thought alive in the police force's head, because I can see how a common officer of the law could forget that and in the wrong situation it could escalate incorrectly.

http://www.denverpos...9#ixzz21a3jjHtw

Awesome of him to do that.

Hadn't heard about that...very cool.

his mom wasnt surprised by this

Proving to be false information.

His mom is claiming that ABC news twisted the context of the phone conversation they had.

which ABC says they stand by their story so who the fuck knows at this point

That is pretty rad. The bad rap he got for that one freak out was never fair.

yeah he did, i always been a christian bale fan since i watched him in american psycho. this is so cool that he is doing this, major props

yeah that guy is a tool

It's important to keep that thought alive in the police force's head, because I can see how a common officer of the law could forget that and in the wrong situation it could escalate incorrectly.

i can see both points but all it should take is to look at the permit and not ask 1 million questions to the guy that is abiding the law