Double Talkin' Jive

Screamin' Demon

In having listened to this song on so many great bootlegs throughout the Izzy '91 era, I can't help but feel how grossly this song was underdone in studio, whilst it had the potential of being the number one Gn'R song. Lyrically the studio version lacked Axl's "Home fuck!" for each post-chorus, along with the set of lines he talked solely at Rock In Rio '91 first night: "And when the poor, come down from the hills, at night, and the government and the merchant send the death squads out. To remove the beggar, keep them out of the way of the rich. Keep the slums from coming down into the city. You gotta watch your ass home boy". Instrumentally it also suffered for being so short. I much prefered Slash's extended solo for this song live, and by far the greatest solo for any Gn'R song. It was indeed the most aggressive song Gn'R ever created. In my view, I believe that songs like this, along with You Could Be Mine, Dust N' Bones and Right Next Door To Hell should have been solely the direction for Gn'R to take from that point on.

Edited by Screamin' Demon

"Double Talkin' Jive" with the extended Slash solo on the outro and bridging its way on into "Civil War" was the absolute musical highlight of the UYI tour IMHO. 15-20 solid minutes of pure awesomeness.

When it comes to DTJ- I always think about my Phish/Dead Head friends who when talking about those bands say "screw the album versions- it's ALL about seeing them live and buying boots!!". So true in this case for Guns. They flashed so much damn talent in those segments...

Also- haven't seen it in a while- but I seem to recall a pretty cool clip on "Makin' Fuckin' Videos Part IV Estranged" or whatever where DTJ is featured with lots of footage from the making of the "Estranged" video...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

Love the song like it is. A sorta running alienated depraved loner song. Reminds me of NIN Big Man with a Gun, except much better imo.

Saying anything on UYI needs more production is fundamentally questionable.

Double Talkin' Jive is one of the best GN'R songs ever. I really really hope the hired hands don't get their hands on it. Please no!

Love the song like it is. A sorta running alienated depraved loner song. Reminds me of NIN Big Man with a Gun, except much better imo.

Saying anything on UYI needs more production is fundamentally questionable.

OMG the drum beat is really reminiscent, in a broken kinda way.

Edited by vaida