Happy Birthday Dazed&Confused

Graeme

Guest Len B'stard

I suppose that all depends on how you feel about Monty Python :lol:

Not your thing Leonard? I would have thought it would be right up your proverbial back alley? :lol:

It's good, i do like it, my sister was a huge fan of all of that so i got a very early education in it but...i dunno, it is good but...for as elaborate as they set ups are, the humour isn't? I think Life of Brian is what it is because of the religious furore and less to do with the quality of the comedy. I do like it, i just think it's a bit overrated.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good, i do like it, my sister was a huge fan of all of that so i got a very early education in it but...i dunno, it is good but...for as elaborate as they set ups are, the humour isn't? I think Life of Brian is what it is because of the religious furore and less to do with the quality of the comedy. I do like it, i just think it's a bit overrated.

Is it fuck it's fantastic! I'd accuse you of blasphemy but I imagine the irony of such a gesture would probably bring about the end of days. :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Is it fuck it's fantastic! I'd accuse you of blasphemy but I imagine the irony of such a gesture would probably bring about the end of days. :lol:

What, Biggus Dickus and all that? Come onnnnn :lol: If it had been sharper comedy, of the sort something like The New Statesman is, it might live up to the billing but...i don't mind juvenile but it's juvenile in a very sort of...naff way. It's a brilliant story and a wonderful satire and...y'know, i just think it could've been funnier than it actually was. I'd take the Carry On stuff over Monty Python.

Edited by sugaraylen

What, Biggus Dickus and all that? Come onnnnn :lol: If it had been sharper comedy, of the sort something like The New Statesman is, it might live up to the billing but...i don't mind juvenile but it's juvenile in a very sort of...naff way. It's a brilliant story and a wonderful satire and...y'know, i just think it could've been funnier than it actually was. I'd take the Carry On stuff over Monty Python.

That's the point though Marigold! It's not taking itself too seriously and at the same time it throws a lot of more sophisticated stuff in with the silliness. I mean it's grand farce as much as anything else but it's done with a nod and a wink and the occasional cock joke. What's wrong with that you dippy tart? I mean the scene where the Centurion corrects Brian's latin grammar just has me in creases or what about the "what have the Romans ever done for us?" bit? I mean I can't stand silly for the sake of being silly but when you put silliness in a context where it's so out of place it makes it funny in my eyes. The whole, born in a stable just down the road at about the same time as Jesus schtick. It's just a great great premise and it gets it spot on satire wise.

Guest Len B'stard

Perhaps it's the characters, Cleese, Idle, they just look like middle class businessmen, if you're gonna do comedy of that sort of cock-jokey vein you need some extra to pull it off, it's not like Charles Hawtrey or Kenneth Williams where they were just such characters and such eccentrics that them and their delivery and who they were elevated the humour, where as the Python lot make it all seem a bit...flat.

I do get that it's hugely satirical and the humour is sort of intelligent overall but...i dunno, the whole package just doesn't seem to work for me. Which is weird i should say that and then wave the Carry On flag because Carry On is 100 times more...puerile, it's as much the comic abilities of the characters i guess. I dunno, i guess all things ain't for everybody. I mean i do like it, don't get me wrong but not enough to say...buy it on DVD to watch over and that. I appreciate it, lets put it that way (which is a fucking death knell for comedy really :lol:, you don't "appreciate" comedy, it either makes you laugh or it don't).

Perhaps it's the characters, Cleese, Idle, they just look like middle class businessmen, if you're gonna do comedy of that sort of cock-jokey vein you need some extra to pull it off, it's not like Charles Hawtrey or Kenneth Williams where they were just such characters and such eccentrics that them and their delivery and who they were elevated the humour, where as the Python lot make it all seem a bit...flat.

I do get that it's hugely satirical and the humour is sort of intelligent overall but...i dunno, the whole package just doesn't seem to work for me. Which is weird i should say that and then wave the Carry On flag because Carry On is 100 times more...puerile, it's as much the comic abilities of the characters i guess. I dunno, i guess all things ain't for everybody. I mean i do like it, don't get me wrong but not enough to say...buy it on DVD to watch over and that. I appreciate it, lets put it that way (which is a fucking death knell for comedy really :lol:, you don't "appreciate" comedy, it either makes you laugh or it don't).

Speaking of puerile humour, I just read "cock and vein" in the same sentence and started giggling to myself! :lol:

But really that's the point! Business people, doctors, lawyers are supposed to be stiff and humourless so when you see stuff like the Ministry of Silly Walks it just makes me piss myself. :lol:

Monty Python is genius, cause it's so silly!!!!

I love it, almost everything they say in Brian, but mostly the Grail, makes me LOL!

Just genius! The start of the Grail, already makes me lol. Most of the time I have to rewind, cause missed a lot cause of the laughing.

I don't know how many times, I have seen those movies or the serie, but it's a whole lot!

Told Dazey before, while playing the Grail, I can actually talk along with it. It's almost scarry.

Who's Dazey?

:(

Checking in to see how the b-day thread is going, and as usual the geezers are on a rant about something entirely different. :lol:

If there's one thread on this whole board I'm allowed to derail it's this one you old bugger! :lol:

Who's Dazey?

Checking in to see how the b-day thread is going, and as usual the geezers are on a rant about something entirely different. :lol:

If there's one thread on this whole board I'm allowed to derail it's this one you old bugger! :lol:

Are you plastered yet? :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Who's Dazey?

Checking in to see how the b-day thread is going, and as usual the geezers are on a rant about something entirely different.

If there's one thread on this whole board I'm allowed to derail it's this one you old bugger!

Are you plastered yet?

Nah, his religion don't allow it :lol:

Who's Dazey?

Are you plastered yet? :lol:

only on me fourth beer thus far. :(