GNR Top 30

the rush

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I think people underrate the TSI immensely. The best songs on that album are really, really good. The problem with it is that the bad songs are quite awful. But the best songs are definitely not as bad as this people's list here hint on.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best to worst..

Nightrain

Mr. Brownstone

It's So Easy

Dust n' Bones

Sweet Child o' Mine

You Could Be Mine

Patience

November Rain

Estranged

Locomotive

Coma

Paradise City

Welcome to the Jungle

Civil War

Rocket Queen

You're Crazy (GNR Lies).

Don't Cry

Yesterdays

Dead Horse

Don't Damm Me

Better

There Was a Time

One in a Million

Ain't it Fun

Black Leather

Down on the Farm

Hair of the Dog

Human Being

Prostitute

Shackler's Revenge

Well, for the moment ;)

1. Civil War

2. Estranged

3. Rocket Queen

4 Coma

5. Prostitute

6. Better

7. Dead Horse

8. One In A Million

9. Welcome To The Jungle

10. Shackler's Revenge

11. Paradise City

12. Patience

13. TWAT

14. Sweet Child O' Mine

15. You're Crazy (Lies)

16. Don't Cry

17. Mr Brownstone

18. It's So Easy

19. Yesterdays

20. November Rain

21. Ain't It Fun

22. Nightrain

23. Down On The Farm

24. You Could Be Mine

25. Hair Of The Dog

26. Don't Damn Me

27. Black Leather

28. Locomotive

29. Dust N' Bones

30. Human Being

1.coma

2.estranged

3.there was a time

4.prostitute

5.you could be mine

6.welcome to the jungle

7.better

8.november rain

9.locomotive

10.shackler

11.dont't damn me

12.civil war

13.paradise city

14.sweet child

15.nightrain

16.dead horse

17.dont cry

18.patience

19.easy

20.brownstone

21.rocket queen

22.crazy

23.million

24.yesterdays

25.dust n bones

26.down on the farm

27.hair of the dog

28.black leather

29.aint it fun

30.human being

Thank you for doing this.

My only suggestion in the future is to leave the voting open for longer for each album. If somebody doesn't come on for a day or two they could end up missing an entire album voting period. No need to rush!!!!

Also as a side note, which I know nobody cares about, if this was my own "best of" list, Catcher, Street of Dreams and TIL would have came in 8th, 9th and 10th on this overall list.

But again - thanks for compiling all the data.

1 Civil War

2 Nightrain

3 Sweet Child O' Mine

4 November Rain

5 Better

6 Rocket Queen

7 You're Crazy

8 Yesterdays

9 One In A Million

10 Don't Cry

11 Welcome To The Jungle

12 You Could Be Mine

13 Patience

14 Prostitute

15 Coma

16 There was a time

17 Dont Damn Me

18 Shacklers

19 Its so easy

20. Mr. Brownstone

21. Down On The Farm

22. Dust N' Bones

23. Dead Horse

24. Locomotive

25. Hair Of The Dog

26. Black Leather

27. Ain't It Fun

28. Human Being

29 Paradise City

30 Estranged

01. Nightrain

02. Estranged

03. Civil War

04. There Was a Time

05. Better

06. Don't Cry

07. Coma

08. It's so Easy

09. One in a Million

10. Welcome to the Jungle

11. Mr.Brownstone

12. Dead Horse

13. Sweet Child O'Mine

14. Rocket Queen

15. November Rain

16. You're Crazy

17. Locomotive

18. Don't Damn Me

19. Patience

20. Yesterdays

21. Paradise City

22. You Could Be Mine

23. Ain't it Fun

24. Prostutute

25. Dust N' Bones

26. Shackler's Revenge

27. Down on the Farm

28. Human Being

29. Hair of the Dog

30. Black Leather

My only suggestion in the future is to leave the voting open for longer for each album. If somebody doesn't come on for a day or two they could end up missing an entire album voting period. No need to rush!!!!

I agree, and although it is sort of futile to come up with suggestions now, I think a future project like this could be done with first determining each record's popularity and then use this to determine the cut-off of songs form each record. Now I believe too many songs from TSI? came to the finals replacing more popular songs from other records. But anyway, thanks for your efforts, rush! :D

I agree, and although it is sort of futile to come up with suggestions now, I think a future project like this could be done with first determining each record's popularity and then use this to determine the cut-off of songs form each record. Now I believe too many songs from TSI? came to the finals replacing more popular songs from other records. But anyway, thanks for your efforts, rush! :D

1. i was thinkin of the same thing, i.e. the popularity from this list should be somehow be calculated into a some sort of index number by which we could maybe divide each album na dso the more popular albums would have more songs.

2. another option is to disregard all the songs that are not written by gnr which would exclude all of TSI, KOHD, LALD etc

3. as to the length of the voting period, I followed the logic of when the thread approaches the bottom of the first page of topics = loses popularity, i.e before it drops from the first page I was usually giving another 24 hours. the problem is that not as many people showed interest in the previous polls as this one, this maybe thanks to those who were responsible for moving the original threads into HALL OF FAME subforum

4. If we are to do this in a 6moths or one year's time, we could negotiate a model we could agree upon as the best

5. I'll have new standings up within a few hours - more songs, more voters = more work for me :)

6. By the way, TSI? songs didn't replace anything as each album was ranked only relative to its songs. nothing was essentially stopping more CD songs to enter the final round and that's why this type of ranking poll is better than that where we usually rated the songs from 1 to 10 because this one is less subject to unfairly low or high marks for some songs which blur the whole picture. This way even if you dislike some songs so much you still have to be fair and decide which of them you after all like better

Edited by the rush

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

If we would be going by popularity, there would be more AFD, Lies and UYI songs and less CD and TSI songs. AFD alone sold more than 3 times as much as CD and TSI did together.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

If we would be going by popularity, there would be more AFD, Lies and UYI songs and less CD and TSI songs. AFD alone sold more than 3 times as much as CD and TSI did together.

I meant popularity taken from this poll. In one of the posts above there are percenatges ofr each album (percentage of songs which made it to the final) in the top 15

AFD has 100%, UYI2 80%, UYI 1 and lies 33% CD 25% and TSI 0%

In Fact this poll could serve as a great base for deciding the cut-off points for the next poll which would in turn be more accurate. we can do this by deciding the percentage by which we would eliminate the lowest ranking songs from this poll. For example if its a 10% cutoff that would mean the lowest 3 songs would be removed which would reduce the number of TSI songs from 5 to 2 (we're removing snogs 28 29 and 30)... if its 20% we would remove 25 26 27 28 29 and 30 etc, we can decide on that for the future poll

Edited by the rush

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I suppose. It's kind of sad, because the demographic of this forum has changed so much the last couple of years. Most old GNR fans grew tired and left or they simply just don't read this section, plus that the forum has been working to almost discourage and depress all kind of discussion of old GNR. I'll always say that it's fucking ridiculous that we can't discuss the band that 99% of us became fans of in the GNR main section. I don't even get why. It's sort of ridiculous from all angles, to me. I don't get why one version of the band should be favoured before the others, especially considering that the current line up haven't accomplished anything. Well, I suppose they accomplished to make one of the best bands ever into a joke. The few "good" things they have accomplished, like playing at RIR twice, was done thanks to the old line ups' accomplishments. The board has been almost anti old GNR for so long that the result on this board would be pretty unfair and misleading from what the forum members in general thought.

I suppose. It's kind of sad, because the demographic of this forum has changed so much the last couple of years. Most old GNR fans grew tired and left or they simply just don't read this section, plus that the forum has been working to almost discourage and depress all kind of discussion of old GNR. I'll always say that it's fucking ridiculous that we can't discuss the band that 99% of us became fans of in the GNR main section. I don't even get why. It's sort of ridiculous from all angles, to me. I don't get why one version of the band should be favoured before the others, especially considering that the current line up haven't accomplished anything. Well, I suppose they accomplished to make one of the best bands ever into a joke. The few "good" things they have accomplished, like playing at RIR twice, was done thanks to the old line ups' accomplishments. The board has been almost anti old GNR for so long that the result on this board would be pretty unfair and misleading from what the forum members in general thought.

yet, there are 7 AFD songs in the top 15

There are 4 CD songs in the top 30 as well, which is pretty misleading.

I'd rank at least 4 CD songs in the top 30 , why are some peoples personal preferences discounted over others?

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying that it isn't representative most people on the forum, but because of certain circumstances, most people with different opinions have left or won't read it if they haven't. It's not a big deal or anything right now, I just think it's really shitty how that's been done over the years.

standings after 23 votes:

01. Estranged - 5,73

02. Nightrain - 7,34

03. Welcome to the Jungle - 7,95

04. Sweet Child o' Mine - 8,73

05. Civil War - 8,91

06. Rocket Queen - 9,69

07. November Rain - 9,95

08. You Could Be Mine - 10,47

09. Don't Cry - 12,04

10. Paradise City - 12,3

11. It's So Easy - 12,52

12. Better - 12,6

13. Coma - 12,73

14. Mr. Brownstone - 13,26

15. There Was a Time - 13,3

16. Patience - 15,82

17. One in a Million - 16,69

18. Locomotive - 17,21

19. You're Crazy (lies) - 17,47

20. Don't Damn Me - 17,3

21. Shackler's Revenge - 17,91

22. Dead Horse - 17,91

23. Prostitute - 18,86

24. Yesterdays - 19,21

25. Dust N' Bones - 19,65

26. Down on the Farm - 24,04

27. Ain't It Fun - 24,6

28. Black Leather - 25,95

29. Hair of the Dog - 26,52

30. Human Being - 27,73

Album stats for TOP 15:

01. AFD - 100% - 7/7

02. UYI2 - 60% - 3/5

03. UYI1 - 50% - 3/6

04. CD - 50% - 2/4

05. LIES - 0% - 0/3

06. TSI? - 0% - 0/5

I just might try and make an mp3 folder of this top 15 as a kind of GNR Best of an see how would that work when I listen it on my cell :)

Edited by the rush

If some of you don't want to see this thread die down so soon, maybe we can start commenting on the TOP 15? Any thoughts? Also, vote is still active and it will be active as long as this thread is active.

My opinion is that even if we don't know if more of the old gnr fans or new gnr fans voted, the end result pretty much paints a pretty good picture of the best 15 GNR songs and if this could have been a best of album, not many would have reasonable arguments to object

another thing that I privately noticed as I was listening to "our" temporary top 15 last night is that I was more inclined to listen to CD songs and skip the old songs and was in fact missing some of the CD songs on the playlist. I'm not sure what could be the reason but two alternatives cross my mind:

01. I've already overplayed the old songs over the long years and they are not as much interesting to listen (unless you're drunk)

02. CD songs could have something unidentifiable that draw me to listen to them.... hell the lowest ranking song from CD poll = Scraped is one amongst the most listened to by me (although I ranked it much higher than the poll end result), the song is dull for the first half but after the first modulation of the chorus till the end it just gets better and better and more intense, drums during the solo + the solo itself and the rhythm kick ass

Edited by the rush

You can always make a 2nd CD with a sort of "You wanted the best, but these didn't make it" feel to it, and make the new vote a "which songs you want on the 2nd CD?" and make people able to vote on any 15 (or maybe limit it to 10) songs that didn't make it. AFD, CD, TSI, singles, whatever they want. And then take 15 (or 10) most voted for. But make people list them from the one they want the most to the one they want the least, and then get the 2nd CD tracklist from that.

Edited by Rafał

You can always make a 2nd CD with a sort of "You wanted the best, but these didn't make it" feel to it, and make the new vote a "which songs you want on the 2nd CD?" and make people able to vote on any 15 (or maybe limit it to 10) songs that didn't make it. AFD, CD, TSI, singles, whatever they want. And then take 15 (or 10) most voted for. But make people list them from the one they want the most to the one they want the least, and then get the 2nd CD tracklist from that.

how about we use these songs from 16th to 30th + another 15 songs from previous album polls that just missed out and then we would get another TOP 15 The Best of the Rest? I'm unsure of the logic I'd follow on these fresh 15 songs though. If I'm to be democratic I'd follow the rankings but I'm not sure that it would make any sense adding more of TSI? seeing it's firmly at the bottom. Maybe since neither GNR Lies nor TSI? have a song in the TOP 15 The Best, I do not add anything more from those albums but add the same ratio of songs from albums that made the top 15 = 7 afd, 6 uyis 2 CD, of course that wouldn't work as AFD has only 12 songs. Any suggestions