Can New GNR exist as an artistic entity without a true guitar god?

Randy Lahey

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends more on Axl's ambitions. New GN'R can't exist as long as they don't put out a solid album and start looking like not as a cover band of classic GN'R, but as a different band with a different aura, with its own sound. If the current band puts out 3 good albums in the next 5 years and Axl forgets a little bit about AFD and appears in the media with Fortus, with Bumble, speaking about the musical project... yeah, why not, New GN'R could exist as a legitimate artistic entity. Though I don't see it happening.

slash's article on wikipedia gets way more visits than axl's.

that's a fact and it shows how important is having a true guitar hero in guns n'roses.

slash is ranked #1292 in traffic. this month his article has been viewed 210,330 times : http://stats.grok.se/en/201209/slash%20(musician)

axl is ranked #3886 in traffic. this month his article has been viewed 145,103 times : http://stats.grok.se/en/201209/axl%20rose

Edited by Mao5

slash's article on wikipedia gets way more visits than axl's.

that's a fact and it shows how important is to have a true guitar band in guns n'roses.

slash is ranked #1292 in traffic. this month his article has been viewed 210,330 times : http://stats.grok.se/en/201209/slash%20(musician)

axl is ranked #3886 in traffic. this month his article has been viewed 145,103 times : http://stats.grok.se/en/201209/axl%20rose

This is completely irrelevant to the OP's question.

Okaaaay, but that still has no relevance to whether the current lineup needs a true guitar god.

yes, it has relevance. the real gnr had two frontmen : slash and axl. whereas nugnr has only one (axl). which makes the band less strong.

if we take a look back at the last 15 years, there's no doubt that axl's band is weaker than guns n'roses.

Okaaaay, but that still has no relevance to whether the current lineup needs a true guitar god.

yes, it has relevance. the real gnr had two frontmen : slash and axl. whereas nugnr has only one (axl). which makes the band less strong.

if we take a look back at the last 15 years, there's no doubt that axl's band is weaker than guns n'roses.

But what has that got to do with the current band's artistic integrity? You seem to argue that the current band won't be as popular (which might be true), but that is not what the OP talks about. And you aren't even right, there are plenty of examples of successful bands managing without a guitar god, why shouldn't a revamped, new Guns N' Roses do that as well?

Two frontmen ? who was the second one ?

When I think of "Guitar God" I think of someone who has taken the instrument and made it his bitch. Not someone who's put out some successful blues rock songs.

I believe there is a difference between the general public and those who are genuinely interested in music and guitar. To most people, the "unwashed masses", Slash is a guitar god, but this is just as much a result of being in the media all the time, having a continuous highly recognizable look, and having been an integral part of lots of popular music. He is a media made "guitar god". To people with more knowledge of guitar playing, though, he is a pretty generic blues-based guitar player who had a big affinity for memorable solos. Not a guitar god at all. More of a PR god.

Bumblefoot, on the other hand.... That's a guy who can play anything. I just wish he had more sense of melody ;)