Legal Question

SONOFABITCH

Hi Marc,

Not sure you know the answer here or not. My undertanding is that at concerts, you can play any song from any artist and there are no legal limitations. However, when you then sell a live show, then there are legalities involved.

So my question is, if Slash releases a live CD with old GNR songs, or Axl releases a live DVD with old GNR songs on it this year, do they need to the other's permission to do so? Like if Axl releases this 2012 London CD, I would imagine Slash and Duff get a portion of the royalties. Any insight here?

Hi Marc,

Not sure you know the answer here or not. My undertanding is that at concerts, you can play any song from any artist and there are no legal limitations. However, when you then sell a live show, then there are legalities involved.

So my question is, if Slash releases a live CD with old GNR songs, or Axl releases a live DVD with old GNR songs on it this year, do they need to the other's permission to do so? Like if Axl releases this 2012 London CD, I would imagine Slash and Duff get a portion of the royalties. Any insight here?

You don't need permission to sell a live version of you doing something like covering a song that other people also own, but they will receive a cut of the royalties.

Hi Marc,

You don't need permission to sell a live version of you doing something like covering a song that other people also own, but they will receive a cut of the royalties.

This.

Hi Marc,

Untrue. If Britney Spears decided to do a live show full of Iron Maiden covers, and was planning to release that commercially, there's no way Iron Maiden would allow that to be released.

Hi Marc,

Untrue. If Britney Spears decided to do a live show full of Iron Maiden covers, and was planning to release that commercially, there's no way Iron Maiden would allow that to be released.

Dude, you know jack shit! If she actually did that it would be totally fine. You can do anything as a musical performer live and the sell the live version of it. If you disagree...give me an example where it didn't work? I'll be waiting...

Using it for a scripted drama for television or film is totally different and that does require permission. One simple example is a lot of old tv shows release their seasons with different music because it costs too much for the original rights to the songs but that has nothing to do with live concert performances.

Hi Marc,

Dude, you know jack shit! If she actually did that it would be totally fine. You can do anything as a musical performer live and the sell the live version of it. If you disagree...give me an example where it didn't work? I'll be waiting...

Using it for a scripted drama for television or film is totally different and that does require permission. One simple example is a lot of old tv shows release their seasons with different music because it costs too much for the original rights to the songs but that has nothing to do with live concert performances.

That's why some DVDs for older movies take a long time to come out, someone's asking way too much money for a movie that's a cult classic and isn't going to sell millions of copies.

Britney Spears can sing Iron Maiden wherever she wants, but if Steve Harris hated Britney with a passion and she was going to sing it on TV, he could block that, otherwise everyone would sing whatever they wanted on American Idol. There's someone who works for the show that has to secure the rights to the songs.

Read up on the clusterfuck Susan Boyle ran into with Lou Reed('s publisher). He felt bad for her (and got death threats from her fans) and directed her video.

I know some TV shows like Saturday Night Live cut down their shows and take some of the music out, unless they're airing it on NBC.

If Slash sells the DVDs region free (maybe it is?), then you might not be able to buy it in a retail store, but can still order it.

What Marc said was interesting, because GNR's concert they're going to show in theaters in Europe hasn't been officially endorsed on the band's website. Maybe they can't show it in America.

What Marc said was interesting, because GNR's concert they're going to show in theaters in Europe hasn't been officially endorsed on the band's website. Maybe they can't show it in America.

Maybe they can but that will give Slash and Duff a fat check for their royalties which Axl will never allow to happen.

I don't think Slash would be playing 7 GNR songs in his set if he had to pay out to Guns N' Roses, and Velvet Revolver too.

He'd had fuck all money.

It's about recording not performing. If Slash and Duff would get a royalty check for every Gn'R song they have credits for, Axl would never play those songs live with his current band.

Axl, Slash and Duff most likely have an agreed upon revenue split for when one of them wants to sync a GNR song to video of a live performance.

Canter is incorrect about why Made in Stoke didn't come out on DVD domestically. Eagle held it back in hopes of double dipping.

What do you have to back that up with?

When you release an audio recording of a cover or play a cover live, the owner of the publishing is not the one setting the price you pay. The rate is uniform and does not have to be individually negotiated like with a sync license.

Does this apply to live performances as well or just the recordings of them? I mean you see cover bands playing all over the place and I wouldn't have thought they would have to pay any royalties or most live bands in bars and wotnot would never make any money.

Canter is incorrect about why Made in Stoke didn't come out on DVD domestically. Eagle held it back in hopes of double dipping.

In fairness Marc likely got his information from Slash himself so what makes you think he's not correct?