Why does everyone refer to a potential new album as CDII?

gmsugaree

Did anyone in the GnR camp ever suggest it would be called Chinese Democracy 2? With CD having been a commercial disappointment and that title having been a punch line for years, why would they want to dwell on that name. Seems silly.

Someday we might hear a new album but I highly doubt thats what it would be called.

It kinda stuck from the time people expected a series of record written at the same time. Now it is becoming increasingly obvious that a new record will not rely solely on material from the Chinese Democracy sessions, and hence calling the next record for CDII is a bit silly.

Edited by SoulMonster

Take what Baz has said with a grain of salt.

i think Axl was going to do something along the lines of Radiohead's "Kid A" & "Amnesiac", release them within a year of each other. Radiohead did well with that idea at the time. Green Day is also doing something like this as a 3 CD set, but they probably finished most of it before putting the first one out.

If he had all this music and decided not to follow it up has to do with business and probably the outcome of "Chinese Democracy" itself. OP's right as far as the title being a punchline.

People who create haven't always seen their projects come out the way they intended it to.

The current lineup is different and I think the focus is going to be on what the current lineup of GNR will accomplish in the studio. I do think it's possible Robin, Paul, Izzy, and Duff could be taking part in the sessions in some way, and can see Axl casually asking them if they wanted to stop by the studio to check out what he's been working on.

As Bumblefoot mentioned, it has been hard getting them together to work on songs on the down time, unless it's been their solo songs being brought into GNR, or cover songs.

Did anyone in the GnR camp ever suggest it would be called Chinese Democracy 2? With CD having been a commercial disappointment and that title having been a punch line for years, why would they want to dwell on that name. Seems silly.

Someday we might hear a new album but I highly doubt thats what it would be called.

cd2 is the next chinese democracy album robin finck, buckethead n' brain written n' recorded in the studio during the chinese democracy studio sessions. so far cd1 has been released from these sessions. cd2 is next. and cd3 after that.

Because Axl suggested in the 2009 interview that the next album will be sort of a deeper evolution of CD but probably heavier and more experimental. It'll have the "same people" playing still. Or something like that anyway. Damn, just release it already.

Hopefully it'll be a little heavier and ballad-free the next go round. If they really want to go out on an edge and do something experimental, run it by someone who's always had a knack for doing that and making it work, like Brian Eno. He's prob had the best track record on doing that for all sorts of artists.

Who knows, maybe the next one will be a concept album based around a Del James story.

I think there's little chance the next album gets called Chinese Democracy 2. Had the first album (of the series) done better with critics and at retail Axl and the label might have rushed the second album out and called it Chinese Democracy 2, but the brand is beyond redemption and it would serve everyone involved to just release a new album under a different name. I doubt very much there's a retailer who would be willing to have an exclusive release for another album that is put under the umbrella of Chinese Democracy. Regardless of whether it's true or not, the common perception is that Chinese Democracy underperformed both artistically or financially. A lot of rebranding will need to be done in order for another album to receive support from retail.

Guest RonMexico82

Do people seriously put faith in what Sebastian Bach has to say? I wouldn't put that mong in charge of a toaster, let alone listen to his babbling.

Do people seriously put faith in what Sebastian Bach has to say? I wouldn't put that mong in charge of a toaster, let alone listen to his babbling.

I would appreciate if you wouldn't use derogatory terms for Downs Syndrom on other people here on the forum, it is HIGHLY offensive to anyone with loved ones who suffer from this syndrome.

In summary: I would much prefer listening to Sebastian's "babbling" than your offensive, derogatory slurs.

Guest RonMexico82

Sorry Soulmonster. I didn't realise you had downs. I'll use words like gom and gobdaw in future.

Is there really any solid evidence of a new album in its entirety? Amazing how there is no industry chatter, no leaks, no rumours about artwork, liner notes. Just a bunch of contradicting statements from liars and dreamers. Yeah, it must be right around the corner.

sebastian bach called sorry "doom metal". you simply can't take the guy seriously.

We also can't take RonMexico83 seriously, but that doesn't mean he has Down Syndrome, either.

why not? looks like a good poster. has strong opinions and is rational most of the time. i'd take him more seriously than bach (and you, as well).

Sorry Soulmonster. I didn't realise you had downs. I'll use words like gom and gobdaw in future.

Well, your cognitive faculties are still not really functional but I guess we should be happy about you exchanging slurs about karyotype malformities for Irish expressions, an improvement :thumbsup:

sebastian bach called sorry "doom metal". you simply can't take the guy seriously.

We also can't take RonMexico83 seriously, but that doesn't mean he has Down Syndrome, either.

why not? looks like a good poster. has strong opinions and is rational most of the time. i'd take him more seriously than bach (and you, as well).

Haha, if having "strong opinions" and being "rational most of the time" is sufficient to take anyone seriously here -- and not, let's say, consider them a cupcake on a mission to insult and rile up as many as possible -- then yeah, RonMexico83 will do! But so will most humans, even small kids, people with various forms of mental issues, pathological liars and even most primates!

Guest RonMexico82

You sure have the most appropriate signature on the forum. Well done. Give yourself a thumbs up. I am wondering who RonMexico83 is though. But if all you want to do is babble on about other posters, real or imagined, then maybe you should try the PM system.

This is a thread about an album that may or may not exist, not posters that may or may not exist.

Where is Sebastian Bach these days by the way? Last I heard of him he was having a breakdown in an airport or something.

Edited by RonMexico82

Is there really any solid evidence of a new album in its entirety? Amazing how there is no industry chatter, no leaks, no rumours about artwork, liner notes. Just a bunch of contradicting statements from liars and dreamers. Yeah, it must be right around the corner.

MSL says CD2's been ready. and that it features the songs he mentioned on his youtube video like soulmonster, the general, cuban skies, blood in the water, and monstrosity. to name a few. these songs were recorded pre-current gnr live lineup band. they're ready to go for release and purchase!