Can You Really Notice the Difference with GNR Having 3 Guitarist?

ChristmasFnatic

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there's something magical about having lead and rhythm guitar players. a third guitar player can mess things up sometimes. I think the Finck/Bucket/Fortus combo was perfect. I'd say better than any slash/anyone partnership. But, having ashba/ron/fortus is completely different since 2 of them are very uninteresting guitar players and fortus, as years went by, showed he's almost like a session musician for guns.

so yeah, the 3-guitars combo is good if you have 3 good and unique guitar players. not the case for guns, currently.

Is it a necessity? No. However, it does add an interesting dynamic.

Chinese Democracy is literally a mess of guitars. It could be argued that they could have restructured the songs for a live setting, but as it is, three guitars is appropriate to play those songs.

As far as the old stuff, all of it was multi-tracked. Sometimes there's up to four guitars going on at once on some of the Appetite and Illusion stuff. Generally, you've got Slash's rhythm on the right, Izzy's rhythm on the left, and then Slash's leads mixed in the center. Sometimes on top of that there will be an overdub of a slide, or maybe an extra clean guitar. It's surprisingly busy at times. The songs most certainly do work live with a two-guitar attack, but again, three just means they can play every last little detail.

What one prefers is entirely up to personal preference. If someone likes it raw, then of course two would do the job. Three has a more produced sound because of those extra details that can be added, but it's not entirely necessary. Doesn't bother me though - I like the three-guitar attack. Just wish Fortus would play more solos.

Doesn't really matter... There are bands with ONE guitarist who have an amazing guitar sound, as Bon Jovi.

These Days, for example, has amazing riffs and solos, and only Sambora is holding it during the whole album.

Edited by ManetsBR

Doesn't really matter... There are bands with ONE guitarist who have an amazing guitar sound, as Bon Jovi.

These Days, for example, has amazing riffs and solos, and only Sambora is holding it during the whole album.

:thumbsup: Led Zeppelin for example

Maiden were two guitars until Dickenson returned. Most of their best albums (NOTB, Powerslave, Piece of Mind) were made by a two-guitar line-up. The only three-guitar band I like are Skynard. The Eagles are alright also. But I prefer the dynamics of two guitars (Beatles, Stones, old gnr)

If we are talking about a live setting, Jon plays guitar on a few songs, not to mention they have a touring guitarist. One guitar will never sound right unless it's a very simple song. The song will sound empty at times and will sound retardedwhen there's a solo. That being said I like three guitars the most.

Ive never figured out the need for 3 guitarist. It seems to work either way in a live setting. I guess at the end of the days its excessive but isnt Axl/ GnR always excessive?

I also have never understood Pittman's role? He seems to be pushing a few buttons and banging a tambourine from time to time