If Axl does a song with Ron how weird could it be?

wasted

I haven't really listened to Ron'e solo stuff other than Glad to be Here so I'm wondering if for one album Axl was working with Ron...what would it be like?

Could they do something wildly experimental and still make it a GNR album. Or would it be a disaster?

Edited by wasted

what kind of classic album would it be like. If you had to force bumble into doing a relatively normal record. Say Sgt Peppers or Notorious Bird Brothers or Satanic Majesties or Pet Sounds...or would it be way more experimental than that.

what kind of classic album would it be like. If you had to force bumble into doing a relatively normal record. Say Sgt Peppers or Notorious Bird Brothers or Satanic Majesties or Pet Sounds...or would it be way more experimental than that.

Bumble doesn't do normal, im farily confident that it is that exact reason he is in GNR Edited by SuperBlaine

I just wonder what Ron could come up with if he was just given a blank sheet and just told to go for it. Would it be too weird for GNR? If they could reign it in a bit could it be a Guns album?

The only point of reference I have is Mr Bungle, there was Disco Volante which was pretty left field but then on California it was sort of reigned into almost a commercial album.

So you absolutely think that those songs I posted would be too weird for Guns? Really? I dont know what you think when you hear Silkworms, My World or OMG...lol

Haha, good point. I don't think Silkworms, My World and OMG are "GN'R" either. It's just my own highly personal feeling about what GN'R should sound like.

That being said, I am impressed with Bumble's versatility and it wouldn't surprise me if a collaboration between him and Axl could be dynamite, just not sure if I would think it sounded GN'R-ish :) I hope I will have to say I was wrong.

I will be severely butt-hurt if Ron isn't featured on at least 3 or 4 writing credits on the next GNR album. The mans solo music is fucking epic, there's so many great tracks, Wasted Away, Turn Around, Dash, Girl Like You, Piranha, Shadow, Thankyou, Abnormal, The Color Of Justice, Ronalds Coming Back Now... I would rank these as good as anything on Chinese Democracy.

I also think Ron's overdubs on Chinese were really very underrated. I don't believe for one second that Buckethead could've improved upon Ron's guitar work on Shacklers, from the awesome tapping to that wacky solo which out-crazies any of BH's solos on songs like Riad or Scraped.

I love his fretless work on the verse to the title track and his shredding at the end of Catcher is the highlight of the album to me.

Out of the three guitarists, I think Ron is the one who has the least to offer songwriting-wise by far.

What complete and utter bullshit.

What has Richard Fortus done to give you such faith in his songwriting abilities? Has he ever been credited as a songwriter on a single song??

And if Ashba's teen-based, generic cock-rock stuff is your idea of good songwriting then I think you need to have your ears flushed out.

Out of the three guitarists, I think Ron is the one who has the least to offer songwriting-wise by far.

What complete and utter bullshit.

What has Richard Fortus done to give you such faith in his songwriting abilities? Has he ever been credited as a songwriter on a single song??

And if Ashba's teen-based, generic cock-rock stuff is your idea of good songwriting then I think you need to have your ears flushed out.

Whoa, calm down there buddy lol. It's not what Richard has done, it's what Ron has done. I've bought and listened to both Normal and Abnormal several times, I've listened to all of Ron's last singles, his 9.11 album and from that is where I formed my opinion. Ron is an excellent guitarist but his style has nothing to do with what I expect GnR to sound like. Blacklight Jesus of Transylvania is more suitable for GnR than anything Ron has made (that I've heard). I do like Ron's solo work, I just think it's not what GnR needs. As for Ashba, yes. I have much more faith in him than in Ron for songwriting. That goretorium riff video he put on youtube alone is also meaner than anything Ron has made that I've heard. I know we're not getting something anywhere as complex and sophisticated as CD from these new guys (not counting re-recording the old stuff), so I expect something mean and dirty, songs with an average of 4:00 tops, barely present pitman and less dizzy. Something a la AC/DC's Ballbreaker. And if Ashba and Richard can write more stuff like Blacklight Jesus and that goretorium riff, then I'll be excited. As for Ron, he has yet to show me he could fit into what GnR needs. I know no one gives a fuck what I think and Ron doesn't need to prove me squat but that's my opinion. I don't think we need a wasted track on the next album with a silly song. If it weren't GnR and new songs came more often and in bigger numbers, then I'd want a song with Ron on vocals and maybe even a funny/silly Ron song but not in out case.

EDIT: Just remembered Cat Fight. That's what I want from Ron.

Edited by Cosmonaut

SoulMonster, if you have Invisible and Catfight, imagine those two w/ Axl's strong vocals. They'd be killer GnR tracks, no pussy songs...ha.

Towelie, I absolutely agree with you. Not only those songs you mentioned are amazing, they would fit GnR's albums for sure. I dont know why people have too much faith Rich's songwriting either, and while his playing is great, Ron's surpasses his by a fkn mile, in every aspect of guitar playing. I'm not going to mention Ashba, his songwriting is worthless and his playing goes from really bad to average/good at best. It's like comparing Queen to Jonas Brothers, Zep to Poison.

And there are always his experimental/progressive songs that would be great instrumentals.

Regarding the silly songs, I'm absolutely in for it. Much better to get funny and sarcastic songs here and there instead of several gay ballads w/ sad and depressive lyrics all the time. I mean, I'd rather have these songs instead of that shitty ballad of death or mi amor by a fkn long shot...

Ps.: Im not taking shots at anyone, I just think we've heard enough generic cock rock from everyone and Ashba's songs would be a step backwards...

Edited by Bruno Poeys

SoulMonster, if you have Invisible and Catfight, imagine those two w/ Axl's strong vocals. They'd be killer GnR tracks, no pussy songs...ha.

I remember those two songs, I think I even asked Bumblefoot to plat Invisible live for us at a live chat once, and he did. Really cool. Yes, perhaps the strong influence of Axl could turn a Bumblefoot song into a proper GN'R-ish song in my own humble opinion. I am open for that possibility. At the same time, I am more open for the possibility that a collaboration bwteen those two would end up with something great but not really fitting in with what I feel GN'R should sound like.