Has Madagascar been dropped because Axl can't sing it anymore?

wfse

Axl used to do fairly well on Maddy, but we all heard him on the stream the other week. It was terrible.

The song hasn't been played for 4 shows in a row, and used to basically be a staple. I think it's safe to assume that Axl just can't do the song justice anymore and has retired it until he gets his voice back. He used a unique type of singing for the verses in Maddy that he only uses on that and the end of Patience, and I guess he just can't do it anymore.

Hope he gets his shit together soon.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's safe to assume that Axl just can't do the song justice anymore and has retired it until he gets his voice back.

How can that be "safe to say" when we know he has no qualms of keeping other songs he struggles with in the setlist for tour after tour? Surely he wouldn't drop a song just because of trouble singing it one night. I believe it is a a lot more plausible it has run its course or Axl got tired of it himself. He also dropped singing it occasionally during the European tour earlier this year.

Edited by SoulMonster

I think it's safe to assume that Axl just can't do the song justice anymore and has retired it until he gets his voice back.

How can that be "safe to say" when we know he has no qualms of keeping other songs he struggles with in the setlist for tour after tour? Surely he wouldn't drop a song just because of trouble singing it one night. I believe it is a a lot more plausible it has run its course or Axl got tired of it himself. He also dropped singing it occasionally during the European tour earlier this year.

Good points. The reality is he struggled with everything more or less when he first started again in 2001-2002, especially the mid-range verses on e.g. Jungle and Sweet Child. But after doing them at every single show he's figured out how to pull Jungle off pretty well regardless of how he's singing. I've no doubt he could've learned to sing Twat, Catcher and Prostitute had he done them all 300 times as well.

The VMA madagascar is one of the best, and he's mickey now to so he probably can sing it yes...one of the songs the mickey voice doesnt dusturb to much actually..

I'll never understand people saying that. Can you not hear/see how incredibly hard he is struggling to force the verses out with some power and how reedy and weak his falsetto is on the high part? It's by far the worst 2002 Madagascar we have recorded. Compare it to the Cleveland soundboard for some perspective or the Albany/Tokyo/Osaka/MSG bootlegs.

Maddy was legendary at the VMA. Just as with Rio 2001!

You're having a giraffe, mate.

His voice on the verses at Rio was deep, rich and beautiful and sung with complete ease. Then listen to and watch the way he struggle to summon any power whatsoever to sing 'it's never too late' at the VMAs.

Rio could have been the best no-rasp Madagascar vocal ever except he decided to go for a jog during the scream and then wussed out of the high pre-solo part.

To me Maddy doesn't work wit Axl's current mickey mouse weak voice, period. It's really sad that just a few months ago he could sing it just fine...

Axl must have had some serious throat/vocal chords health issues somewhere in 2011 and never really recovered since and probably (the step throat "excuse" he used recently) the 'problem' is chronic and recurring... :(

Edited by trqster

WTF is the problem with people saying RiR III and VMA Maddys are the best?! He was 100% pure Mickey Mouse back then. Especially VMA Maddy. People just say it's cool 'cause it was news.

It was a different Micky Mouse back then, the Rio show sounded ok. These days, the new Mickey Mouse just sounds so weak.. he must be gettin too old, or his vocal cords need some serious work out routines or something.

Edited by vaida

if axl dropped the songs he can't sing anymore, the setlist would look this:

intro (mad men)

glad to be here (BBF)

fortus solo

dj solo

band jam

dizzy solo

piano moving band jam

motivator (tommy)

encore

bbf solo

band jam

:rofl-lol:

I see what you did there. Oh, I see it.

I guess what he is saying is.. if Axl was a boxer, it's time hung up his gloves..