Has Madagascar been dropped because Axl can't sing it anymore?

wfse

if axl dropped the songs he can't sing anymore, the setlist would look this:

intro (mad men)

glad to be here (BBF)

fortus solo

dj solo

band jam

dizzy solo

piano moving band jam

motivator (tommy)

encore

bbf solo

band jam

:rofl-lol:

I see what you did there. Oh, I see it.

I guess what he is saying is.. if Axl was a boxer, it's time hung up his gloves..

But surely then you are not in harmony with all the thousands of satisfied audiences who leave the concerts every year...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Madagascar, and it seems like it's one of the better known Chinese songs, and Sorry is probably my favorite song on the album, but I've seen them live 3 times, so if they wanna replace those songs with TWAT and CITR, it's all good to me

They removed Twat last few shows i believe Edited by SuperBlaine

I like Madagascar, and it seems like it's one of the better known Chinese songs, and Sorry is probably my favorite song on the album, but I've seen them live 3 times, so if they wanna replace those songs with TWAT and CITR, it's all good to me

They removed Twat last few shows i believe

Hoping they bring it back for the last show though, if not the last 2

how many people for the last year or two have whined and moaned and cried that gnr should drop a couple chinese tracks like sorry & maddy to bring back twat & catcher.

then they do it and the whining and moaning and crying continues.

No. Take out some of the ridiculously overplayed-in-every-market-and-venue boring old nostalgia shit and play the bulk of new music Axl promised Robin and Bucket he was going to do.

The last bunch of shows I went to I used Sweet Child, Heavens Door, LALD and others as nice extended piss and fag breaks.

Take out fucking LALD and Heavens Door, stop playing Jungle, Easy and Brownstone in THE SAME FUCKING ORDER AT THE START OF EVERY FUCKING SINGLE SHOW EVER SINCE 2001 AND RISK OFFENDING THE CASUAL NON-CHINESE FANS BY LEAVING SOME OF THEM OUT SO YOU CAN PLAY MADAGASCAR, CATCHER, TWAT AND SORRY.

MSL, you LOVE Chinese Democracy. But you argue so hard and seemingly rationally over the other side of the fence regarding the sets that it makes it seem like if you went to a show and got Prostitute, Twat, Catcher, Rhiad and If The World instead of HD, LALD, Seeker, Rosie and Bring You Down you'd storm out and demand a refund.

Edited by Jordan Rose

Actually, you know what pisses me off the most about MSL and co.'s militant 'the sets are great and make perfect sense' stance? You're all justifying something Axl never wanted to happen: becoming a legacy nostalgia act relying on and placating the same bunch of casual fans of 20-year-old music. He wanted to take over the world with Bucket, Robin and Brain and put out 3 records in quick succession and have the shows based around the new material and gain a new legion of young fans and be relevant and respected and show the alumni how wrong they were and create a new legacy that meant as much as old-GN'R's. You talk like everything that's happened and where he is now, opening with the same 3 friggin songs every night after 11 years, is what he wanted and worked so hard for all these years. If that's what you think and hence your crazy justifying of it then you're stupid or uninformed. I wanted the best for him because to me he's one of the great pure hard rock artists of all time. I wanted for him what he wanted, not this nostalgic pantomime.

If that were the case, Axl would have to drop the entire setlist.

Like I said, he used to use a pretty unique voice on Maddy, that is likely harder to sing in than his normal mickey voice.

Yeah, some songs don't sound as good in the Mickey voice, but Maddy just sounds wrong. I'm talking about the current Mickey voice. The 2001/2002 one was actually good for that song. This one just has no power behind it and sounds frail and meek.

Actually, you know what pisses me off the most about MSL and co.'s militant 'the sets are great and make perfect sense' stance? You're all justifying something Axl never wanted to happen: becoming a legacy nostalgia act relying on and placating the same bunch of casual fans of 20-year-old music. He wanted to take over the world with Bucket, Robin and Brain and put out 3 records in quick succession and have the shows based around the new material and gain a new legion of young fans and be relevant and respected and show the alumni how wrong they were and create a new legacy that meant as much as old-GN'R's. You talk like everything that's happened and where he is now, opening with the same 3 friggin songs every night after 11 years, is what he wanted and worked so hard for all these years. If that's what you think and hence your crazy justifying of it then you're stupid or uninformed. I wanted the best for him because to me he's one of the great pure hard rock artists of all time. I wanted for him what he wanted, not this nostalgic pantomime.

Things didn't go as planned. Only one record has been released so far. Are you saying that Axl should postpone all touring until the next two records are released? And if you admit that he should tour in-between the releases, shouldn't the setlists then include a mix of old and new with a heavy focus on the new? And if that happens, and despite what we might feel about the fact that only one record is released, shouldn't we then admit that the setlists are pretty awesome with an average of 24 songs played for a bout 3 hours?

This.

jordan rose, i'm mature enough to realize what i would prefer and what most fans would prefer are two different things. i'm also mature enough to realize every band that doesn't call it quits inevitably becomes a legacy artist.

i would LOVE if gnr played chinese in full. it would not be wise, but i'd love it.

Right.

As someone who lives for music and someone who thinks about 'what would I do if I were talented enough to have a career in music?', I wonder why artists don't routinely play a few small shows at the launch of a new album, to play the album in full for hardcore fans, get some live versions down, perhaps for inclusion on the inevitable 'Special Edition Reissue' or as a fan club-only release or iTunes special.

So often I read interviews where artists talk about their favourite songs on their new record which end up not being played live because they're not commercial enough or too challenging for the average concert-goer.

The Stones found a fantastic solution that i'm surprised nobody else has taken up: playing a mixture of venues with stadium and arena sets catering more to the masses and club shows catering to hardcore fans with rarities and album tracks.

At one end of the spectrum you have a singer like Jon Bongiovi who always bases his sets around a 95% core ofold and new commercially successful songs and has to be dragged over hot coals to play anything from his first two albums or a fan-favourite album track. At the other end of the spectrum you have a singer like Springsteen who plays 200 songs over a tour and sees a sign in the crowd for an old song he hasn't played since '77 and calls an audible to the band.

The sad reality is that although Axl is at Springsteen's end of the spectrum in terms of talent and ability, he's much closer to Johnny B's end in terms of the kind of shows he doesn't have the balls to put on.

I'm sorry but new music or no new music, ANY fan base, even Britney Spears' fanbase, would be seriously bemused if she played 10 year's worth of shows opening with the same 3 songs and ending with the same song with the inbetween broken up with the same songs (November, Sweet Child, LALD, Heaven's Door etc).

Edited by Jordan Rose

Time has caught up with Axl Rose, before he had the chance to make it big the 2nd time around with his own 'make believe' version of GnR...

So sad but true. I'm not one for making fun of recent pictures of Axl looking older and less than elegant but looking back at a lean, unadorned and hungry-looking Axl from Hammerstein 2006 when all still seemed possible and then seeing him today hiding behind hats, gloves, glasses and layers of gaudy jewellery and clothes makes me sad.

I just read the new Classic Rock and even though Steven Tyler looks like a sack of shit in his trunks on the beach, he still goes on stage looking like a fucking bad-ass and he talks like he's hungry and has years left in the tank. And he's got nearly 15 years on Axl.

Edited by Jordan Rose

jordan rose, this is only the second year of touring with chinese, jungle and easy as the first three songs.

Oh bog off. You know exactly what I mean. They've played Chinese at almost every show since 2001. Sticking it at the top of the show for EVERY show since 2009 doesn't change the following 3 songs which are the fucking same. I'm admittedly discounting Chinese Democracy itself because it's my least favourite Chinese song and, in my opinion, the weakest song lyrically and melodically on the album by a long way and is the only song I couldn't give a toss about.

That completely aside because it is, in fairness, irrelevant, tacking Chinese on the front of the same core show doesn't negate any of the many, many points i've made about the sets, not least the staggeringly dull repetition of Jungle, Easy and Brownstone at the top of all the shows i've been to. Even my mate Steve (who doesn't own a single Guns record, isn't a big fan and couldn't care less about any of this) who I took to shows in 2002, 2006 and 2010 said at the show in 2010: "I'm getting deja vu here" when Brownstone started.

Edited by Jordan Rose

for all the criticism, I sure don't see anyone volunteering how to do it better, or doing it better themselves?

It doesnt seem to matter what songs they do, how they do them, the people on this forum are never happy. Always ready to complain and never bringing anything forward that would suggest, change or improve. For all those that talk about his 'mickey' voice, lets hear you do a youtube up and hear what YOUR 'rasp' is like. hmm? didn't think so. You all talk a fair amount yet, I doubt if you were put on stage, youd do nothing more than wet your pants for us all to youtube.

for all the criticism, I sure don't see anyone volunteering how to do it better, or doing it better themselves?

It doesnt seem to matter what songs they do, how they do them, the people on this forum are never happy. Always ready to complain and never bringing anything forward that would suggest, change or improve. For all those that talk about his 'mickey' voice, lets hear you do a youtube up and hear what YOUR 'rasp' is like. hmm? didn't think so. You all talk a fair amount yet, I doubt if you were put on stage, youd do nothing more than wet your pants for us all to youtube.

thats cuz vegas was supposed for surprises and unexpected stuff

So wait, just because someone can't necessarily sing better, they aren't allowed to voice their opinion that they dislike Axl's current vocals?

By that logic, nobody is ever allowed to criticize anything. That would render a discussion board kind of useless. If I say I think the Scary Movie series is awful, am I not allowed then to say so because I haven't personally gone out and made a better movie?

So wait, just because someone can't necessarily sing better, they aren't allowed to voice their opinion that they dislike Axl's current vocals?

By that logic, nobody is ever allowed to criticize anything. That would render a discussion board kind of useless. If I say I think the Scary Movie series is awful, am I not allowed then to say so because I haven't personally gone out and made a better movie?

+1

I don't think he would drop the song because he did bad on it one time, maybe he just got bored with it?

I agree, VMA madagascar was the best. It was less than a year after 9/11 and it was a song that seemed to mean a lot to axl as he sang it with alot of passion, which made it just an awesome performance. The way he says "Free the ball the chains (or whatever the lyrics are) we're here together" gives me chills.

whoever said Vegas was going to be full of new songs??? I never once saw that posted anywhere but in fan 'wishlists'....really.

and if you are a fan..but you never have anything good to say about that of which you are a fan of, doesnt make you much of a fan, does it?

Ohh young one... you're yet to be disappointed in so many ways...