Tommy Stinson leaves the stage in Delhi

Uncle Bob

Why is Slash more relevant? Not because he sold more. He's more known by the general public but that's it. Musicians were influenced by The Replacements. They were the first punk band to sign a deal with a major label if I'm not mistaken. After that much more bands had their way open to become successful. What did Slash do? Showed the world that he was a C grade Joe Perry and E grade Page? Come on, he did not influence noone. That's well known...

He is relevant not because he has sold more but because he has brought guitar to a mainstream level. There are people out there(like myself) who would not have picked up a guitar if we never heard of Slash. Just like Jimmy Page and Jimmy Hendrix who popularised guitar solos, Slash was pivotal in keeping it going. Solos were seen as a nerd-wank thing prior but Slash and his sense of melody made it easy for non-guitar freaks to actually like solos. What did Tommy specifically do? Play a bunch of root notes at 4/4 time, WOW. I can name 5 bassists who have been way more innovative than Tommy.

E grade Page? You just lost all credibility there, Slash's solos are among the best solos of all time on many people's lists, along with Page, Hendrix, Friedman, Hammett, etc.

Great post

+1

Edited by Bobbo

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus fucking Christ. LOL.

Tommy walks off stage and all of a sudden there's an implosion of rational thought among certain posters. Too funny.

lol I agree. People fight all the time and they don't leave or quit!

Some people just love to speculate and of course will blame Axl for it all.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Tommy is a talented musician but I I agree with the sentiments of another user above me. I feel, from personal experience, that the tour culture has gravely affected his personality. The person I met in 2012 was completely different to the warm character organizing live video questions for his fans back in 2010 I believe? He was cold and aloof, I didn't feel I could talk to him unlike DJ or Bumblefoot or literally any of the other guys present. He seemed very angry.

Seriously Tommy walked off stage for the first time in 6 YEARS!!!(He walked off when Eagles Of Death Metal opened for GN'R in '06) and everybody is fucking wetting themselves thinking he's going to leave the band or be fired. And Duff won't come back to the band, that mini reunion in 2010 was just a 1 off because he happened to be staying in the same hotel as Axl and his crew

Edited by CharlieSheen

True Val.....but there are also people who think Axl is never at fault for anything that goes wrong.

Generalizing again? (as per usual) Making up errant grandiose stereotypes about groups of people, with zero data or examples.. Just because you used to think Axl never did anything wrong (back when you were a gusher before you flip flopped), doesn't mean Axl's supporters think the same way. Please stop stereotyping.

Thank you for another public service announcement. Maybe one day we'll get lucky and you'll provide examples instead of the usual broad-sweeping cockamamie generalizations borne out of delusions.

Edited by brainsaber

Duff McKagan would never come back to GNR to be an employee of Axl Rose, and that is the only way it would work. Thus it won't happen.

Duff would come back to be an employee of Axl Rose. He was an employee in the late 90s before he left.

Edited by powerwave

On one hand, they obviously had a great time together when they met and he clearly enjoyed playing with them, but then again, he's still huge buds with Slash so I really can't see him joining just for that reason alone, let alone anything else.