Tommy Stinson leaves the stage in Delhi

Uncle Bob

Solos were seen as they were before Slash came in. He did not keep anything going, sorry. He was just doing his generic thing, did not do anything different. He was a Jimmy Page alike guitar player, period. I'm not saying that The Replacements were innovative, they had a bigger cultural impact and after them punk bands had more relevance, they had the way open to other bands. You picked up guitar because of Slash, just like several other people, but nobody made any impact on the music scene. The only relevance that he has is commercial relevance and nothing else.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solos were seen as they were before Slash came in. He did not keep anything going, sorry. He was just doing his generic thing, did not do anything different. He was a Jimmy Page alike guitar player, period. I'm not saying that The Replacements were innovative, they had a bigger cultural impact and after them punk bands had more relevance, they had the way open to other bands. You picked up guitar because of Slash, just like several other people, but nobody made any impact on the music scene. The only relevance that he has is commercial relevance and nothing else.

But we never specified what kind of relevance we were talking about. Someone just said Tommy had more relevance than Slash and Duff to which I did not agree. Pfft in the 80's it was all about how fast you could play and it got to a point where the market was oversaturated with speed metal guitar players but Slash came in a brought melody back. In the 80's solos were seen as wank factor with people like Yngwie and bands having virtuosos in them.

Dude, Guns opened the door to other bands after they break big too. Before Guns it was Glam metal that was everywhere and Guns brought a street sound and aura with them then the grunge seen killed that. I have not heard one big name act cite the Replacements as an influence or anything... Lets see some citation?

Damn_Smooth, you got the point. I cant tell you if they were innovative or not, all I can say is that they had a lot of relevance.

Young_Gun, that's what Slash is - he's a Jimmy Page alike. He even pretended to be Jimmy with his double neck, lol. He did what Jimmy did decades before but on a much smaller scale and much lesser quality. I'm not talking about guitar solos, I am talking about whole songs, rhythm, leads, fills, harmonies, arrangements, etc. Slash could only dream on being as good as Page. Page was.one of the first that created Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, Slash just kept the thing going on. All in all - Jimmy was the real deal, Slash was just someone else. I will never deny that he was very good at what he did best - soloing, a lil bit of riffing. Page had the whole package. So this is why he's an E grade Page.

Damn_Smooth, you got the point. I cant tell you if they were innovative or not, all I can say is that they had a lot of relevance.

Young_Gun, that's what Slash is - he's a Jimmy Page alike. He even pretended to be Jimmy with his double neck, lol. He did what Jimmy did decades before but on a much smaller scale and much lesser quality. I'm not talking about guitar solos, I am talking about whole songs, rhythm, leads, fills, harmonies, arrangements, etc. Slash could only dream on being as good as Page. Page was.one of the first that created Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, Slash just kept the thing going on. All in all - Jimmy was the real deal, Slash was just someone else. I will never deny that he was very good at what he did best - soloing, a lil bit of riffing. Page had the whole package. So this is why he's an E grade Page.

I never said he was better than Page, but he surely made his mark. Never saw Slash as a rhythm guitarist, mainly a lead guitarist which is where he shined. Silly thing to argue about anyway, I'm not a fan of Slash's solo work or Tommy's work in general. I don't like contributing negativity, been going through some hard times so I sometimes take it out on the boards. Pretend I never said anything..

it's amazing to see people ignoring all the work Slash did just because Axl hates him. you nutters should at least recognize Slash was great while playing with axl. i have no problem to say axl was my favorite singer and, in my opinion, probably the greatest frontman ever. i simply CAN"t deny that because i love the band. you gys love axl, not the band.

If Tommy quits (which i hope he dont) imagine what a bio he could write. The lost era, making of CD, Buckedhead and all the other drama going on...AMEN

First,you can s.......... Second he can write about every musican dream,big stadium and arenas shows,life on the road across the globe........

You are really stupid guy

He wouldn't though. I don't think he'd care enough to do it.

I don't think others would care enough to hear it.

Please, you'd wet your PANTS at the opportunity to read how much of a douche axl allegedly is...

Jesus fucking Christ. LOL.

Tommy walks off stage and all of a sudden there's an implosion of rational thought among certain posters. Too funny.

Agreed. Shits hilarious. But what if he actually leaves?

How many times has Axl thrown stuff, expressed anger, walked off stage, refused to perform, etc.

He's still here, isn't he? He hasn't quit GnR, how do you know Tommy will?

Not a fair comparison is it? Axl owns and IS GnR for starters and Tommy's just an employee/hired hand for Axl's GnR band.

Tommy would be really stupid to quit GnR though, he gets to tour fairly often and play big crowds (everywhere but the US...) and gets a good paycheck for doing it - can you imagine a better job?

Edited by trqster

Bruno has a point but he fails when he keeps talkin' about "The Replacements" instead of "Tommy the bassist".

Exactly the whole conversation is bullshit when it's "slash never influenced anyone" the replacements influenced loads of people. How can you compare a guitarist to a whole band.

Why is Slash more relevant? Not because he sold more. He's more known by the general public but that's it. Musicians were influenced by The Replacements. They were the first punk band to sign a deal with a major label if I'm not mistaken. After that much more bands had their way open to become successful. What did Slash do? Showed the world that he was a C grade Joe Perry and E grade Page? Come on, he did not influence noone. That's well known...

He is relevant not because he has sold more but because he has brought guitar to a mainstream level. There are people out there(like myself) who would not have picked up a guitar if we never heard of Slash. Just like Jimmy Page and Jimmy Hendrix who popularised guitar solos, Slash was pivotal in keeping it going. Solos were seen as a nerd-wank thing prior but Slash and his sense of melody made it easy for non-guitar freaks to actually like solos. What did Tommy specifically do? Play a bunch of root notes at 4/4 time, WOW. I can name 5 bassists who have been way more innovative than Tommy.

E grade Page? You just lost all credibility there, Slash's solos are among the best solos of all time on many people's lists, along with Page, Hendrix, Friedman, Hammett, etc.

Great post