How and why do GNR have such a rabid hardcore fanbase??

Towelie

I've often wondered this. This is one of the busiest music message boards I've visited, and yet GNR have released one album in the last 18 years. There are bands who regularly release new material every 2-3 years and have a far bigger back catalogue than Guns and yet they have little internet presence in the way of message boards etc.

Do you think it's a testament to just how good original Guns were that they have such a large and dedicated hardcore fanbase who follow every show, every setlist and discuss the band to death even through the many years of silence and inactivity?? Or is it because Axl is such an intriguing and reclusive public figure that keeps people fascinated with his every move?

Go

I've often wondered this. This is one of the busiest music message boards I've visited, and yet GNR have released one album in the last 18 years. There are bands who regularly release new material every 2-3 years and have a far bigger back catalogue than Guns and yet they have little internet presence in the way of message boards etc.

Do you think it's a testament to just how good original Guns were that they have such a large and dedicated hardcore fanbase who follow every show, every setlist and discuss the band to death even through the many years of silence and inactivity?? Or is it because Axl is such an intriguing and reclusive public figure that keeps people fascinated with his every move?

Great question. Probably a combination of both.

@Towelie:

I dont necessarily consider the random thread starters and forum junkies as hardcore fans, however, here are the reasons why music fans still follow GNR:

1. They are still attached to the original guns which did not lose its charm by selling out or making crappy alternative albums as years went by. The classic GNR lineup crashed and burned even before it could commit any huge mistakes.

2. The new lineup and era is such a trainwreck over a car crash that its too hard for all rock n roll fans and excitement junkies to not to give it a long stare.

3. Axl Rose no matter how much you hate him, still resembles somewhat of a respectable figure in music in the sense that he never justified his actions and antics and did what he wanted to do no matter how damaging it was to his beloved brand and band.

4. People have nostalgia about the old band and songs and just want to have a good time. Rock n roll is pretty much dead especially commercial good sleazy hard rock barring a few acts and the current band is the next best thing you can imagine getting out of the GNR camp.

GnR music was such a big thing back in the day, that many like myself became fans for life. Also the fact that Mr.Axl Rose was considered by many the greatest front man alive and being such a charismatic and intriguing character also contributed to the living legend status.

For those reasons alone GnR was something really special, and even nowadays being just Axl's own private band thing it's still worth following just because of Axl.

Edited by trqster

Answer: Because I see something special, magical, spiritual in GNR's music. I saw it still in '02, '06, '10...then didn't really see it in '11-'12 and so I was really disappointed. Yes Axl is mysterious and elusive but if it werent for his talent it wouldnt be interesting.

GnR music was such a big thing back in the day, that many like myself became fans for life. Also the fact that Mr.Axl Rose was considered by many the greatest front man alive and being such a charismatic and intriguing character also contributed to the living legend status.

For those reasons alone GnR was something really special, and even nowadays being just Axl's own private band thing it's still worth following just because of Axl.

It's the same for me.

Yes and yes.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

The answer is simply Axl Rose. The voice, the character, the behaviours, most importantly the genius.

And added to that is his ability to draft world class musicians.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

When I was roughly 13 years old Guns n' Roses was the band that got me interested in music. I really love music. It's a huge interest of mine. And in that story loving Guns n' Roses was genesis. It's as simple as that. That's enough to at least keep an interest in what they're doing permanently. It doesn't mean I'll agree with everything, but interested nonetheless.

they were my first favorite band, and still are a huge favorite of mine. but these days i like following axl rose like some people like reading about lindsay lohan, i suppose. funny trainwreck. out of control weirdo. the music doesn't really matter as much, which is good i guess since he doesn't even bother pretending to care about it anymore. fine with me, as i really didn't like the last album, and it's hard to get too excited for outtakes and leftovers. but axl will always be a fascinating pop culture character and a hilariously tragic morality tale.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

i think people still love to come up with "what if" stories and theories. those silent years in the 90 are still discussed to death. axl hating slash so much also created a fanbase of slash haters with no real reason. and that creates a lot of discussion with rational people. so, i think there are many factors. i also believe that if gnr were and active band (not a nostalgia act) people would talk a lot more about the music than about reunions and what ifs.

Because the fan base is so divided, between those who like only the old band, those who like only the new one, those who like only the Bucket & Robin years, and those who like everything!

Because the fan base is divided between all the different eras. There isn't one lineup attached to more than one album or tour, and each has its favorite.

Some are revisionist and some can't let go of the past. Some are trying to love everything.

I'm here to follow what Axl does. I've been a fan since Thanksgiving day 1987, first time I heard "Appetite". None of my friends/family care about Axl or GnR anymore, I have to come here to get my fix. Hope to hear new music someday, but I know why Axl is reluctant to release it. Its better financially to keep touring.

I would see the new band, but I live in the St.Louis area, Axl won't come here, or he probably isn't even allowed to come here. And I'm not gonna travel to see him and the current band. Can't afford it.

And there is always the slim chance that Axl and Slash will get onstage together someday. As long as both of them are alive, there is a chance.

i think boards are so popular for gnr because they were the hugest band in the world at one point, but have suffered a massive drop off in popularity. if you're a fan of today's gnr , for better or worse, you just aren't going to meet many people in the real world you can talk to. i'll bet if you polled a hundred random strangers, none of them could even tell you who's in the band. i'll bet none of them could tell you the name of unreleased chinese democracy songs. or how many more CD volumes are supposedly coming out one day. if you want to talk about what's going on with gnr, you pretty much have to go online or live outside a venue where nugnr is playing.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness