EP to tide fans over?

Apollo

Side one: Seeker, Don't Let it Bring You Down, Riff Raff and revised OMG. (All studio versions).

Side two: Catcher, TWAT, Shacklers and whatever CD song the band thinks highlights them the best. All live versions.

Put that out to soften the blow between CD and the follow up album.

A box set or a new album would be the coolest things, but we all know that ain't happening in the near future. So why not an EP?

(Just something to chat about, not trying to complain and have no sense that the band owes me anything. Just a slow day at work).

Edited by Groghan

Yeah would be cool. I really don't understand why we don't get more music from them. Even if it's different versions of songs, like acoustic stuff or whatever. No one can say the reason is because Axl's too lazy, because he's already written/recorded a lot of stuff apparently. So i just don't get it

As i said in a different thread before, i can only assume the reason is either that Axl's a perfectionist and can't decide how he wants stuff to sound therefore won't release it for a while, or he wants to tour a lot first to really build the new band's reputation as a more solid, permanent unit after so many changes over the years before working on music, or he just simply doesn't know what direction to take the band in. A mix of everything perhaps? He might not feel ready to release stuff, and as an artist you can't and shouldn't put stuff out there for the sake of it in my opinion. Especially when so many people criticised Chinese.

I do really wonder how the next album will sound though. Will it sound more like Chinese? Will it be different, will it have a more rock n roll sound seeing as Axl has become such a fan of it over the last few tours? (with the ac/dc covers and nice boys and whatnot)

'soften the blow?' for whom, exactly? outside of maybe 20 people in the forum, i don't think anyone's day is blown by the absence of chinese democracy 2. just doesn't seem cost effective. especially when you consider all the work they'd have to do to edit together a usable live cut from axl's recent performances.

Side one: Seeker, Don't Let it Bring You Down, Riff Raff and revised OMG. (All studio versions).

Side two: Catcher, TWAT, Shacklers and whatever CD song the band thinks highlights them the best. All live versions.

A box set or a new album would be the coolest things, but we all know that ain't happening in the near future. So why not an EP?

(Just something to chat about, not trying to complain and have no sense that the band owes me anything. Just a slow day at work).

It would be good to have an unreleased song or two on there if there's no plans of putting it on the next CD, as well as the songs you've mentioned. Throw "Sailing" in there.

Rule of thumb is for an EP to not go past 20 minutes, so GNR could do a double EP - 1 disc live, 1 disc studio.

It's also a good way of Axl finding out how many people are interested in buying their music.

Being that GNR had released a few EPs, I don't see why Axl wouldn't do one in 2013. I've mentioned Down and ZZ Top putting them out recently. Some people release remix EPs. It's possible GNR even had an EP planned when they were putting plans together for the trilogy rollout (similar to what Green Day just did, from what it sounds like).

They might or might not be music on their next albums, and if there's songs that were going to be the bonus songs on "Chinese Democracy", he could easily take some of those songs and do an EP from them.

Less covers and more original songs please

Less covers and more original songs please

Obviously we would all love new music. I would pay $100 for five new songs tonight!!!!

I just thought EP with some live recordings and covers would be something the band could bang out in a weekend (their part). Let DJ produce it.......and two weeks later he could hand the final product to the label. Quick and easy.

The label wouldnt have to spend that much money. Sell it at upcoming shows, in GnR forums, on itunes......it would easily pay for itself and turn a profit.

And help keep the positive momentum going until the 2013 Christmas release of their next full length studio double album, concert DVD and Axl's book.