2010 vs 2012

trqster

In the '2010 energy' thread trend, let's compare the best renditions of the same song both in 2010 and 2012 and try to figure out if there's still any hope for Axl's legendary rasp vocals to come back or not...in 2013.

My personal opinion is that, unfortunately Axl will never be able to touch his 2010 vocal peak ever again, be it for health issues he might have had in early '11 and because of the age factor itself. Still I believe he could do better than he has done recently if he got fitter and/or worked on his voice more. After all there was a glimpse of his former '10 self at the Feb '12 Philly show on some songs...

So I'll start with Rocket Queen. What you guys think?

2010 - '10 Milan show

2012 - Feb '12 Philly show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41f-pUqFoxg

Edited by trqster

So I'll give another example - this one not from '12 Philly show... :max:

2010 - WTTJ '10 Vienna show

2012 - WTTJ '12 02 show

Its pointless. We all know, he was better in 2010...

Compare 2006 vs 2010, if any...

Sure enough 2010 was the better year, but what I mean is that in '12 there were some odd performances that almost touched '10 levels - and those are the videos I wish to see.

And...is there still hope for Axl's vocals in 2013 or not?

In the two videos of Rocket Queen, 2012 sounded better

I agree.And its been said a thousand times before just watch jungle from the recent Tokyo show,it sounds the same as 2010,he could sing" Mary had a little lamb" the same way if he wanted, he has just changed his style or techniqe,probably so he doesn't destroy his vocal chords and some songs believe it or not sound better in 2012 without the heavy rasp.ie Catcher in the rye.Also the 2010 November rain from Montreal imo is an example of to heavy on the rasp and I would prefer some of the recent performances.The only part of the NR performance I don't care for now is when he goes high voice on the "If we could take time to lay it on the " lines. Edited by cbgnr

2010 wins overall. It was probably Axl's most consistent year vocally. He wasn't as winded most of the time and he consistently delivered the same tonality and power. That's not to say there weren't any good moments in 2012, or even 2011 (which I still rank as one of the best shows I've seen), but never again has he delivered the consistency of his 2010 performances.

Could he again? I honestly believe he could. There are glimpses of the 2010 vocals here and there which shows he can do it, so it would be more or less a case of getting back into shape and retraining, or re-tweaking rather, the way he sings the songs so he doesn't blow his voice which I imagine is what he did by the end of the 2010 tour, thus why he seemingly "played it safe" in 2011.

There is no doubt 2009/ 2010 Axl's voice was on fire... I wish I knew what happened from Abu Dubai to Rio. Rio seemed like Axl sat on his ass and did nothing prior to the show and hoped to just show up and be OK. To me when comparing the years take YCBM from 2010 and YCBM from anytime since 2011 and you'll notice a HUGE difference when it comes to rasp, same for RQ or PC. Songs like Jungle always seem to sound good.

During Dont Cry at one of the Russian shows, Axl talks about some Russian guys asking him why he doesn't sing dont cry anymore with the same powerful rasp like he use too... Axl said he had no idea why he couldnt but then proceeded to sing the end of the song with some pretty good rasp. IMO there is no doubt Axl is not in tip top shape and IMO at the Vegas shows it looked like he his physique was heading south again. Im not saying the guys is still not a great performer but he could do a better job of staying in shape. does that effect his voice, I have no idea. he may need to get back with a vocal coach to get things back in order.

All in all he still sounds good live and people seem to enjoy the shows, so I guess thats all that matters.

During Dont Cry at one of the Russian shows, Axl talks about some Russian guys asking him why he doesn't sing dont cry anymore with the same powerful rasp like he use too... Axl said he had no idea why he couldnt but then proceeded to sing the end of the song with some pretty good rasp.

That's kind of huge. Any idea which show? Is there a video/bootleg?

During Dont Cry at one of the Russian shows, Axl talks about some Russian guys asking him why he doesn't sing dont cry anymore with the same powerful rasp like he use too... Axl said he had no idea why he couldnt but then proceeded to sing the end of the song with some pretty good rasp.

That's kind of huge. Any idea which show? Is there a video/bootleg?

I think it's not from Russia, but Dublin:

My personal opinion is that, unfortunately Axl will never be able to touch his 2010 vocal peak ever again

People used to say the same thing back in 2001/2, that he will never sing like in the 90's again and bla bla bla, and guess what, he sang better than in the 90's in some of the 2010 concerts. Axl is the most unpredictable guy in the world, so i prefer to wait and see haha

Wow, that blows my tiny mind.

Thanks so much for that.

Some guy came up to my window yesterday and goes "One more question, Mr Rose: how come you do not finish Don't Cry with your excellent 'raspy' voice (emphasis for comedic effect)." I've no fucking idea guy, i'm sorry, I just, pffft.... I like that he said excellent, that was very nice."

That is so weird because it implies he doesn't give a second thought to how he sings and doesn't notice when he's killing it or cleaning it. There's no way he isn't aware of the hundreds of voice-threads on the boards, he's wearing the Evil-Mickey shirt in that video, for Chrissakes.

But lol, don't know how I missed that one.

In 2002 did anyone foresee his voice getting as good as it got in 06/09/10? I think it's still a possibility it could improve, only difference now is that in 2002 he was never out of breath like he is when singing now..

Here's a good performance from 2012 that's up there with anything from 2010. He can still do the rasp when he puts the effort in:

The way DJ laughs knowingly when Axl tells the story....I wonder if Axl has ever discussed his vocals with the band, because they're getting him in the IE monitors every night so they can hear the vast range of incredible to terrible better than anyone. I wonder if he ever says to them 'I'm not gonna take it a bit easier for these shows' or anything like that.

In 2002 did anyone foresee his voice getting as good as it got in 06/09/10? I think it's still a possibility it could improve, only difference now is that in 2002 he was never out of breath like he is when singing now..

Dude, no way was he much fitter in 2002. He did get better by MSG but fuck me, he's more winded at the 2002 UK shows than anywhere ever. When he'd pace the stage ranting or introducing the band he'd be literally gasping between sentences.