Ultimate Classic Rock Bowl 2013 Poll

cheesecake

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beatles influenced...

The Rolling Stones, circa 1965-7 (just listen to Mother's Little Helper, Lady jane and Ruby Tuesday).

Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys (in particular Pet Sounds)

The Byrds

Bowie

The Jam

Nirvana

Soundgarden

Oasis

Additionally, Rubber Soul, Revolver and Sgt Pepper spear-headed the 'abum' format which influenced everyone from Hendrix to Zeppelin and Floyd - basicully anyone who utilises the 'album' as an artform is being influenced by the Beatles whether they know it or not.

The Stones advertised themselves as the opposite of the Beatles. Coming together only 2 years after the Beatles, I would hesitate to say the Beatles influenced their music. Especially when they described themselves as the opposite.

Oasis and Nirvana I'll give for obvious reasons but Bowie? He also had his first band 2 years after the Beatles and was innovative.

Soundgarden? Zeppelin #2. Are you going to say Zeppelin is influenced by the Beatles, too when it's quite clear there is a bluesy influence?

I guess we could say everyone is influenced by the Beatles because they release albums and perform. Looks like simplified reasons to further overrate what only became a huge band because the girls went crazy over them and they said a few controversial things.

Soundgarden? Zeppelin #2. Are you going to say Zeppelin is influenced by the Beatles, too when it's quite clear there is a bluesy influence?

When I saw a live video interview with Chris Cornell at a art website he talked about the Beatles influence on him as a songwriter.

As for Led Zeppelin, you can have a bluesy sound that is influenced by old blues guys AND still be influenced by The Bealtes - the two aren't mutually exclusive. Even in the studio, things like incorporating tape saturation, varispeed, etc. all used in a lot of Zeppelin's studio output were heavily incorporated in later era Beatles albums and were definitely popularized by them

guess we could say everyone is influenced by the Beatles because they release albums and perform

Not necessarily in that exact context, but it is a fact that The Beatles layed down a lot of the groundwork for popular songwriting, image, etc. that was innovative, novel, and creative that heavily influenced rock as a whole (hell in some colleges they offer entire courses dedicated to what the Beatles did). Which makes for influence by association.

what only became a huge band because the girls went crazy over them and they said a few controversial things.

Yes because their music has NOTHING to do with it...

Edited by WhazUp

Lennon-McCartney gave the Stones their first hit: I Wanna Be Your Man. Between 1965-67, Jagger-Richards virtually completely abandoned the blues in favour of Beatles style chord changes, harmonies and studio experimentation. Please listen to Paint it Black, Mother's Little Helper, Lady Jane, Out of Time, Get off of my Cloud, We Love You. Jagger was even employing an English accent during this period. The Rolling Stones' 1967 opus, Satanic Majesties' Express is perhaps the most notorious rip-off (of Sgt Pepper) in musical history.

Any artist who employs the album format is, whether directly or indirectly, influence by Rubber Soul-Sgt Pepper. The Beatles influence on Soundgarden is so obvious it needn't be point out. Simply listen to Blow up the Outside World. Same with Bowie.

When I saw a live video interview with Chris Cornell at a art website he talked about the Beatles influence on him as a songwriter

As for Led Zeppelin, you can have a bluesy sound that is influenced by old blues guys AND still be influenced by The Bealtes - the two aren't neccesarily mutually exclusive. Even in the studio, things like incorporating tape saturation, varispeed, etc. all used in a lot of Zeppelin's studio output were heavily incorporated in later era Beatles albums.

guess we could say everyone is influenced by the Beatles because they release albums and perform

Not neccesarily in that exact context, but it is a fact that The Beatles layed down the groundwork for songwriting, image, etc. that was inoovative, novel, and creative that heavily influenced rock as a whole. Which makes for influence by association

what only became a huge band because the girls went crazy over them and they said a few controversial things.

Tell me, what Beatles music do you hear on the radio today?

Ya still hear the Stones, Zeppelin, The Doors and Elvis. I fail to see how a band that is being described as producing revolutionary music not having any impact today other than phantom style heard by people that want to exaggerate them. It seems like there's a nationality motivation a lot of the time to paint the Beatles as having a stranglehold on Rock music when it's the blues(the obvious basis of all Rock anyways) and Elvis.

Lennon-McCartney gave the Stones their first hit: I Wanna Be Your Man. Between 1965-67, Jagger-Richards virtually completely abandoned the blues in favour of Beatles style chord changes, harmonies and studio experimentation. Please listen to Paint it Black, Mother's Little Helper, Lady Jane, Out of Time, Get off of my Cloud, We Love You. Jagger was even employing an English accent during this period. The Rolling Stones' 1967 opus, Satanic Majesties' Express is perhaps the most notorious rip-off (of Sgt Pepper) in musical history.

Any artist who employs the album format is, whether directly or indirectly, influence by Rubber Soul-Sgt Pepper. The Beatles influence on Soundgarden is so obvious it needn't be point out. Simply listen to Blow up the Outside World. Same with Bowie.

The Stones first hit was come on. A chuck Berry number. Unless you want to argue that number 12 is defined as a hit while number 21 isn't. They also continued with the blues base in Little Red Rooster. That was after I wanna be your man. The claim that they "completely abandoned the blues" is false.

Come Together, Blackbird, I Want You (She's So Heavy), Revolution, Hey Jude, Magical Mystery Tour, Let It Be, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, With A Little Help From My Friends, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Yesterday, Dear Prudence, Back In The USSR, A Day In The Life, Eleanor Rigby

I can distinctly recall hearing those, a lot of them I hear all the time

Edited by WhazUp

Come Together, Blackbird, I Want You (She's So Heavy), Revolution, Hey Jude, Magical Mystery Tour, Let It Be, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, With A Little Help From My Friends, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Where?

When I saw a live video interview with Chris Cornell at a art website he talked about the Beatles influence on him as a songwriter

As for Led Zeppelin, you can have a bluesy sound that is influenced by old blues guys AND still be influenced by The Bealtes - the two aren't neccesarily mutually exclusive. Even in the studio, things like incorporating tape saturation, varispeed, etc. all used in a lot of Zeppelin's studio output were heavily incorporated in later era Beatles albums.

Not neccesarily in that exact context, but it is a fact that The Beatles layed down the groundwork for songwriting, image, etc. that was inoovative, novel, and creative that heavily influenced rock as a whole. Which makes for influence by association

Ya still hear the Stones, Zeppelin, The Doors and Elvis. I fail to see how a band that is being described as producing revolutionary music not having any impact today other than phantom style heard by people that want to exaggerate them. It seems like there's a nationality motivation a lot of the time to paint the Beatles as having a stranglehold on Rock music when it's the blues(the obvious basis of all Rock anyways) and Elvis.

The Stones first hit was come on. A chuck Berry number. Unless you want to argue that number 12 is defined as a hit while number 21 isn't. They also continued with the blues base in Little Red Rooster. That was after I wanna be your man. The claim that they "completely abandoned the blues" is false.

Well it is all relevent. The fact is, The Stones released a Lennon-McCartney original as one of their early singles and scored a hit. Please listen to two albums, Between the Buttons, and Satanic Majesties Express, and still tell me that the Stones were blues based during this period. 1966-67, there was very little blues in the Stones music and quite a lot of Beatles style chord changes, harmonies and studio sophistication.

Come Together, Blackbird, I Want You (She's So Heavy), Revolution, Hey Jude, Magical Mystery Tour, Let It Be, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, With A Little Help From My Friends, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Where?

All my local rock stations here in LA - 93.1 Jack FM, 95.5 KLOS, KROQ 106.7, and some others I have on pre-dial but don't know the names of like 98.7, 100.1, and 101.1

Well it is all relevent. The fact is, The Stones released a Lennon-McCartney original as one of their early singles and scored a hit. Please listen to two albums, Between the Buttons, and Satanic Majesties Express, and still tell me that the Stones were blues based during this period. 1966-67, there was very little blues in the Stones music and quite a lot of Beatles style chord changes, harmonies and studio sophistication.

What is "Beatles style chord changes?" lol. All Rock comes from the blues in style so how is any of it the Beatles style? Something Buddy Holly already did.

All my local rock stations here in LA - 93.1 Jack FM, 95.5 KLOS, KROQ 106.7, and some others I have on pre-dial but don't know the names of like 98.7, 100.1, and 101.1

Checking 93.1 playlist for the past week, not 1 Beatles song. The rest I haven't looked at. For something that is supposedly so influential to "all of our favorite bands" it's moved to the underground scene now?

TBH, the only Beatles song I've ever heard on the radio in my life has been Come Together. When Aerosmith covered it.

Edited by Rustycage

Checking 93.1 playlist for the past week, not 1 Beatles song. The rest I haven't looked at. For something that is supposedly so influential to "all of our favorite bands" it's moved to the underground scene now?

TBH, the only Beatles song I've ever heard on the radio in my life has been Come Together. When Aerosmith covered it.

Week =/= not at all.

And honestly I cannot believe you haven't heard one Beatles tune on the radio - to me that would be the exception to the rule rather than Beatles music being played being the exception

Anyways, I doubt UCLA would offer an entire course dedicated to The Beatles if they were indeed as important (or rather not as important) as you claim:

68. The Beatles. (5)

(Formerly numbered 4.) Lecture, four hours; discussion, one hour. Examination of life and music of the Beatles within social and historical context of 1960s. P/NP or letter grading.

http://www.registrar...og09-10-576.htm

Edie: As well as USC: http://web-app.usc.e.../20111/musc-422

Edited by WhazUp

When even the Beatles describe their influences from early rock like Elvis and Buddy Holly, what are we even arguing about? Are we supposed to act like anything before them didn't exist when even they cite earlier influences?

All you're really doing is trying to declare that a branch isn't a branch at all, but another tree. It ALL comes home to something before the Beatles, Elvis and Buddy Holly.

What is "Beatles style chord changes?" lol. All Rock comes from the blues in style so how is any of it the Beatles style? Something Buddy Holly already did.

Diminished 7ths, 9ths etc - breaking up the 3/4/7 progression used in blues. Dylan summed it up best: when someone asked him about The Beatles he said, ''their chord changes are crazy''.

So when Lennon was sued by Chuck Berry after which they reached an agreement, they have no Blues influence? Please.

Chuck Berry is listed as the biggest progenitor of their sound.

The Beatles did what those of time also did. They ripped off the blues and rock musicians before them. The mainstream has just been recycling music before them and repackaging it for decades. The Beatles included.

Are we supposed to act like anything before them didn't exist when even they cite earlier influences?

No, but it is a matter of giving credit where credit is due

Like how Lennon had to give tangible credit to Chuck Berry?

So when Lennon was sued by Chuck Berry after which they reached an agreement, they have no Blues influence? Please.

I never argued that they had a blues influence, although It still doesn't invalidate the influence and impact they made

The mainstream has just been recycling music before them and repackaging it for decades. The Beatles included.

But if you think all the Beatles did was recycle and not implement new innovative sounds and everything I have previously alluded to, you would be mistaken

Edited by WhazUp

I never argued that they had a blues influence, although It still doesn't invalidate the influence and impact they made

The mainstream has just been recycling music before them and repackaging it for decades. The Beatles included.

But if you think all the Beatles did was recycle and not implement new innovative sounds and everything I have previously alluded to, you would be mistaken

Diesel has claimed they had no blues influence. That was directed to him.

Many bands have been innovative. Being the first to have tuned feedback doesn't make someone the biggest influence of all music. It's been claimed that nearly all of our favorite bands have Beatles influence. Musically, there are only a few that have a post Beatles influence. All of the branches come from somewhere and it isn't the Beatles. It's blues and rockabilly with some distortion.

McCartney admitted, "At least the first forty songs we wrote were Buddy Holly influenced." Lennon said that Holly "made it okay to wear glasses. I WAS Buddy Holly."

Being the first to have tuned feedback doesn't make someone the biggest influence of all music

Well thankfully The Bealtes did much more than that ;)

And influence indeed extends above what you directly hear from the music, and just because it is blues and rockabilly doesn't mean the Beatles DIDN'T influence the members in those bands at all.

The Beatles do have a very important and vital branch to the modern rock tree. Influence of ALL music? No. Influence of rock music (as well as incorporated folk, pop, etc, genres) as a whole both directly and indirectly during and after their time? I would say yes

Edited by WhazUp

If anything this poll shows how much GN'R means to people. The original band was around for such a short time and then disappeared, but the fan base has stayed. One album in 15 years and people still are fascinated with GN'R. Guns has a huge fan base ready for any new music so that can be credited for these poll results. The music just comes down to personal taste. I think it's great that there are still this many people that care about GN'R.

Being the first to have tuned feedback doesn't make someone the biggest influence of all music

The Beatles do have a very important and vital branch to the modern rock tree

That I agree with but they are not the grandfathers of all rock bands as is always alluded to.

That I agree with but they are not the grandfathers of all rock bands as is always alluded to.

My arguments were more geared towards the posters here such as trueadmirer who all in all have no idea what they are talking about lol.

I would say that it would be impossible for any band or artist to directly influence ALL rock bands so I would agree with you on that one. But I would definitely argue that they are among one of the most influential bands of the modern era

My arguments were more geared towards the posters here such as trueadmirer who all in all have no idea what they are talking about lol.

I would say that it would be impossible for any band or artist to directly influence ALL rock bands so I would agree with you on that one. But I would definitely argue that they are among one of the most influential bands of the modern era

Ya see, I don't really disagree with you. Arguments kinda jumble together when there are several people.

It's when I see things like, "Dylan was influenced by the Beatles" when in fact, the Beatles(mainly John) admittedly was influenced by some of Dylan's folk style. Or when it's claimed that "The Beatles weren't influenced much by earlier acts." Nevermind that the influences are Elvis, Little Richard, Motown, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Carl Perkins, Brian Wilson(and vice versa), The Everly Brothers, Roy Orbison and some others.

It's those types of comments that have the Beatles listed as overrated. :shrugs: