Ultimate Classic Rock Bowl 2013 Poll

cheesecake

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never claimed The Beatles were not influenced by blues.

And you are employing straw man arguments here. Nobody is denying that Presley, Berry, Holly etc. created rock n' roll, and that, the Beatles were tremendously influenced by those artists. Heck, the early Beatles albums include covers by those artists. What is true is that The Beatles took those artists and innovated radically, which, influenced artists later. You asked for a list of artists influenced by the Beatles: I have provided the list. You denied that The Stones were influenced by the Beatles: I provided counter examples. I even provided distinct song titles. If you do not know what a Beatles style chord progression sounds like, your musical knowledge is clearly limited. Gilby Clarke's solo albums are awash with Beatlesesque melodies for instance. It is just so obvious when you hear it.

I never claimed The Beatles were not influenced by blues.

And you are employing straw man arguments here. Nobody is denying that Presley, Berry, Holly etc. created rock n' roll, and that, the Beatles were tremendously influenced by those artists. Heck, the early Beatles albums include covers by those artists. What is true is that The Beatles took those artists and innovated radically, which, influenced artists later. You asked for a list of artists influenced by the Beatles: I have provided the list. You denied that The Stones were influenced by the Beatles: I provided counter examples. I even provided distinct song titles. If you do not know what a Beatles style chord progression sounds like, your musical knowledge is clearly limited. Gilby Clarke's solo albums are awash with Beatlesesque melodies for instance. It is just so obvious when you hear it.

Nah bud. You were claiming they didn't have blues influence because of that chord progression. Then you tried to say the Stones also abandoned any blues influence because of 1 song linked to the Beatles and others that you SUBJECTIVELY feel is Beatles based despite the fact that the Stones ADVERTISED themselves as the OPPOSITE of the Beatles. Do I need to pull up the quotes for you? There's no need to get all pissy and act like people don't know music just because they aren't kissing the opposite ass cheek as you. You took the position as if the Beatles were doing everything from no man's land. You would like to claim that if the Beatles didn't exist, neither would a bunch of other bands. Correct? Wasn't that your quote? Where would the Beatles be without all of the influences they drew from?

"That'll Be the Day" was the first song Lennon learned to play and sing and the first song the early Beatles ever put to record. The naming of the Beatles (originally the Silver Beatles) was Lennon's way of paying tribute to Buddy Holly's band, The Crickets. The Beatles covered Holly's "Words of Love" on their album Beatles for Sale.

If someone were to do that today, you wouldn't call it innovative or "underrating." In fact, it's what a ton of bands have done.

Even they compare their first 40 songs to someone before them. They have been sued by a cited influence for ripping off material. It's not unusual for an artist to take someone's song, rearrange it, tweak it here and there to make it their own. It's "inspiration." It's a work-around. I for one don't sit and drool over taking several genres, combining them and throwing a cherry on top and say it was musically innovative. That's why I don't worship Zeppelin. So much of their work was "inspired" by others.

You rely on one song to say the Stones were Beatles influenced to basically call them liars in how they perceived themselves. You are stretching things to suit your argument.

No strawman here. I am just going by what you are trying to claim.

So tell me....How can you claim someone shed any blues influence when they are sued by a notorious rock and bluesman for ripping him off? How can you say someone is innovative when they themselves admit that much of their early work is similar to an already existing style? Do you think the Black Eyed Peas are innovative? Also, where are you from?

Edited by Rustycage

Lennon-McCartney gave the Stones their first hit: I Wanna Be Your Man.

Untrue. Chuck Berry's "Come on" was their first hit. #21 on the UK charts.

Between 1965-67, Jagger-Richards virtually completely abandoned the blues in favour of Beatles style chord changes, harmonies and studio experimentation.

Untrue. Rolling Stones #2 has a Chuck Berry song and a Muddy Waters song for starters. How is that abandoning the blues?

The Rolling Stones' 1967 opus, Satanic Majesties' Express is perhaps the most notorious rip-off (of Sgt Pepper) in musical history.

Subjective, really.

Out of our heads also had Marvin Gaye(Motown) and another Chuck Berry song.

Aftermath still had slide guitar influence and harmonica. Those are two main ingredients of blues music. Especially under a "rock" setting.

Their live albums consisted of more blues musicians' songs.

The Beatles influence on Soundgarden is so obvious it needn't be point out. Simply listen to Blow up the Outside World. Same with Bowie.

:rolleyes: Soundgarden are so Zeppelin it's ridiculous.

Bowie has cited Elvis more than the Beatles.

I am forced to conclude that you are a complete idiot.

Untrue. Chuck Berry's "Come on" was their first hit. #21 on the UK charts.

Well it depends on what you define as a hit. 12 is superior to 21. By the way, Harrison got the Stones signed.

Untrue. Rolling Stones #2 has a Chuck Berry song and a Muddy Waters song for starters. How is that abandoning the blues?

2 was recorded 1964. By Aftermath, the Stones were half and half: still producing blues numbers like Doncha Bother Me but also producing songs like Out of Time. Between the Buttons, the Stones were Beatlesqesue. You have failed to acknowlege the fact that I have pointed out Rolling Stones songs which are Beatlesesque (e.g Lady Jane). You are simply not acknowleging this as it destroys your argument.

Subjective, really.

Hahaha. Alright then. Witness, the Blues, straight from the Mississipi delta (nota bene Jagger's wizard hat):

Edited by DieselDaisy

Well, The Beatles is a bigger and more influential band than Guns N' Roses, that's a fact. Paul McCartney is more than 2 decades older than Axl and is a better perform than him nowadays, yes. But, thing is, I would rather listen to Guns N' Roses music than Beatle's. Simple as that. I don't care which band is bigger or more influential, Guns N' Roses please my ears way more, that's why I voted for them. Same goes for the Stones. I don't think it's outrageous that GNR beat them. As for the Zep, I would call it a tie. Byt hey, that's my opinion. My.

Edited by ManetsBR

I would rather listen to Guns N' Roses music than Beatle's. Simple as that. I don't care which band is bigger or more influential, Guns N' Roses please my ears way more, that's why I voted for them.

This is where I stand as well.

How many hours left btw? It's extremly close.. We might actually lose it.