Old songs and lyrics lead me to believe that

ceres

Axl did not have huge hand in writing the music/lyrics of Appetite thru UYI. I mean - look at the quality and intensity of the music and lyrics from those albums. Chinese had none of that musical or lyrical intensity and creativity. (Sure, Axl has legal credit, but without West or Stradlin, he can't compose for shit. Those guys were Axl's Bernie Taupin.)

You have a valid point but didn't you read his latest interview? He said that Slash, Duff and Stephanie bullied him so little cry baby Axl couldn't write for years! "They said I was an idiot :cry:, so I lost my songwriting skills!".

What a fucking baby. Beta & gang must laugh themselves to sleep each night. Can you hear them "what an idiot....he'll do anything we say".

I don't think he ever claimed to have a "huge hand" in writing old music that wasn't based around piano (Estranged, NR) and it's well known that he wrote a handful of songs but most were a combination of him, duff and izzy (and west).

Also, I think Chinese has some great lyrics - Catcher, Prostitute, Better and Sorry are all great, IMO

I wouldn't like to hear "you're shit" repeatedly from my best friends and my wife either.

Well, you guys probably have a reason to know better what is dealing with feelings you certainly never felt.

I personally love the lyrics on Chinese Democracy, they are meaningful. Losing a son, losing the love of his life, losing his friends...

Well, better make songs about a place where the grass is green and the girls are pretty and lyrics just as pathetic as how a girl reminds you of your childhood and takes you to a special place. Yey! Life is so bright!

Edited by ManetsBR

The lyrics seem very similar. Street of Dreams has the same flow as AFD lyrics. TWAT is similar to Paradise City lyrically.

I think CD is a less guitar oriented album, by design. That doesnt mean the songs are any less...GNR. If anything CD proved Axl is the key to GNR, the dynamics the lyrics, the epicness. Without Axl's aesthetic the guys would strip it down and play it fast and loose.

I agree that sonically CD isn't full on guitars, it's more percussive, beats n solos with classic vocals, but there's less of a natural pocket for Axl's voice to sit in as with classic GNR.

CD is awesome. It has just as much intensity as the old stuff. Its not 1988 and Axl's not in his 20's. CD compared to GnR's old stuff does a lot better than Aerosmith compared to their old stuff or Motley Crue or any other band you can name. IMO CD is one of the most intense albums of all time.

I agree, Wasted. There's a clear evolution on the 3 GNR albums. From Appetite to Illusions and from Illusions to Democracy. On very aspects...

I think on the musical aspect, it just got better and better.

And I agree with you tr420. Some people expect Axl to release another Appetite For Destruction, they just seem to forgot that he's not 20 anymore, and have been to some deep shit since then. I'm so glad GNR didn't become the KISSish thing Slash wanted to.

Izzy wrote a lot of the best lyrics in the old days, him and Axl together was something else, but Axl really poured his heart out and wrote some far more powerful stuff imo. My favorite Axl lyrics are from Coma, One In A Million, Locomotive, Bad Apples, Don't Damn Me, Dead Horse, Breakdown, and November Rain off the top of my head. I agree Chinese Democracy doesn't have anything nearly as powerful as those songs, a lot of CD sounds more forced than inspired imo, but it's not to say that Axl isn't or wasn't a great lyricist.

Edited by sweetness

I don't have a problem with the CD lyrics, it's same kind of thing. I don't think SOD, TWAT, Catcher, TIL, Sorry, IRS, Madagascar would really sound out of place on UYI. Chi Dem, Shackler's, Better, Scraped, Riad, Prostitute aren't that far off, call it an evolution.

If Mike Clink produced CD some people would be happier.

Axl did not have huge hand in writing the music/lyrics of Appetite thru UYI. I mean - look at the quality and intensity of the music and lyrics from those albums. Chinese had none of that musical or lyrical intensity and creativity. (Sure, Axl has legal credit, but without West or Stradlin, he can't compose for shit. Those guys were Axl's Bernie Taupin.)

Does downplaying Axl`s importance and contributions to the band make you a real Guns N`Roses fan ? no Axl no Guns N`Roses deal with it how did things work out with that bloke called Scott Weiland ?

I don't have a problem with the CD lyrics, it's same kind of thing. I don't think SOD, TWAT, Catcher, TIL, Sorry, IRS, Madagascar would really sound out of place on UYI. Chi Dem, Shackler's, Better, Scraped, Riad, Prostitute aren't that far off, call it an evolution.

The problem is that not that many producers would be happy to linger over an album for a decade.

There's a clear evolution on the 3 GNR albums. From Appetite to Illusions and from Illusions to Democracy. On very aspects...

And I agree with you tr420. Some people expect Axl to release another Appetite For Destruction, they just seem to forgot that he's not 20 anymore, and have been to some deep shit since then. I'm so glad GNR didn't become the KISSish thing Slash wanted to.

This is hilarious.

There's a clear evolution on the 3 GNR albums. From Appetite to Illusions and from Illusions to Democracy. On very aspects...

This is hilarious.

Slash doesn't like Kiss. And anyone who is satisfied with what that band has become is probably mentally ill.

The problem is that not that many producers would be happy to linger over an album for a decade.

Inherent within Clink doing it would be that would pretty quick.

I think the record was done in two years. But redone with RTB. Then funding was pulled.

Does downplaying Axl`s importance and contributions to the band make you a real Guns N`Roses fan ? no Axl no Guns N`Roses deal with it how did things work out with that bloke called Scott Weiland ?

So how does downplaying Guns N Roses contributions to Guns N Roses albums make you a real Guns N Roses fan? Problem? Deal with it...etc etc...

'Axl wrote em all!'