March 28th, 2013 - Abu Dhabi

Amir

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually liked the Catcher performance. He's on-key for the most part and holds the notes moreso than usual. Doesn't sound out of breath. It's not all about rasp, especially in a song that doesn't even have rasp on the original recording.

This Seeker video sounds pretty bad though.

Edited by bacardimayne

To me it sounds like he has a new vocal coach who's gotten him to completely change his style. He's shown that he's still capable of doing the rasp, but he seems to have voluntarily stopped doing it in favor of having greater control over the pitch and longevity of the notes. Probably reduces the strain on his vocal cords or something.

To me it sounds like he has a new vocal coach who's gotten him to completely change his style. He's shown that he's still capable of doing the rasp, but he seems to have voluntarily stopped doing it in favor of having greater control over the pitch and longevity of the notes. Probably reduces the strain on his vocal cords or something.

Seems plausible. Good for his vocal chords. Bad for my ears.

I see what you're saying about longevity of notes, but he sounds pitchy as fuck to me.

He's performed Catcher with his scratchy voice (2010) and it sounds awesome. Every song sounds better with that voice, in my opinion.

Ultimately, I agree. I'm just trying to be a little diplomatic in here, so the resident wannabe mods don't chime in to call me a cupcake an tell me to gtfo if I hate the band so much.

Seems plausible. Good for his vocal chords. Bad for my ears.

I see what you're saying about longevity of notes, but he sounds pitchy as fuck to me.

Yeah I'm not saying it's a good thing for the quality of the performance, but if the rasp is truly unsustainable, it's nice that he might be doing something to try and compensate.

He's performed Catcher with his scratchy voice (2010) and it sounds awesome. Every song sounds better with that voice, in my opinion.

Yeah, that's definitely my favorite performance of the song. All I was saying is that the rasp isn't necessary for songs like Catcher. It's nice, but the song is fine without it, unlike when he tries to do songs like Nightrain and Rocket Queen without it and it's a trainwreck.

As for the "every song sounds better with rasp" claim, I agree for the most part, with November Rain and Street of Dreams being two exceptions.

Edited by bacardimayne

I agree. It's not so much "rasp" but rather scratchy or a growling voice. Uses it on better sometimes too.

L'Arc is the best live Catcher I think we will ever get. I so wish there were a studio version with those vox. I'd listen to it a lot more that's for sure.

Couldn't agree more! Totally looooovvee that Catcher. Abu Dhabi Catcher sounded Mickey to from the first verse.. but I thpught TIL was quite fine and of Seeker was good. Haven't had the chance to listen to LALD yet as Youtube always hangs on me when I try viewing from my phone.

I'm I the only one that doesn't care much for BBF's songs at a GNR show? (Bruno don't get mad lol)

Pink Panther was cool though...why change for worse?

I'm a huge fan of Bumblefoot's music so for me it's great, but I actually agree. It's easy to see why they fall kind of flat at a Guns show - nobody knows them. For a song like Glad to be Here the humor is in the lyrics, but the audience probably isn't paying much attention to what he's singing anyways.

Put me in the Pink Panther camp as well. I really enjoyed it, something different from the usual songs/solos.

Dad made a few comments on what he thought of the setlist. He was surprised they played Brick in the Wall again (he went to the 2010 Abu Dhabi show with me as well), saying that bands usually only do covers like that once or so. He said they should drop KOHD and LALD every once in a while, but I said they're seen as GNR songs now by a lot of fans. Overall though he was happy that they played all their hits, saying he was a bit disappointed when Sting didn't play a few Police hits when he was in Abu Dhabi the week before. And he liked TIL and my sister's a fan of Better, so it's good in my opinion that those 2 remain staples. TIL has way more views than any other vid I uploaded from that show, I think with a good enough video and promotion that song could have been pretty big. The lyrics may be too cheesy for a lot of hard rock fans, but I think it would have done at least as well/had as much crossover potential as Fall to Pieces.

Once the new album is out they should drop CD and go back to Jungle as the opener.

Edited by Amir