This Buckethead Interview

Guest bellastar2355

Guest bellastar2355

Go to 1:37

Buckethead : [On Gun's N' Roses evolving] "There's lot's of exciting things down the road......it's like.....when you got a nice loaf in the oven and it's not quite done and you're just really excited for it"

Looking at that Interview now, what is your opinion on what he thought about the band? Do you think Guns has evolved into something "spectacular" and if not, do you think it will now?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think Buckethead is one of the best guitarists around (based on his contributions to CD), but sadly one of the worst character creators; the mask is obviously a rip off from halloween and the bucket with the chicken references... for one or two gigs, ok we get it, but honestly, he is the 'yucko the clown' of the metal world. At least Daft Punk look cool in disguise...

Edited by Bumblefeet

When Buckethead left, any chance GNR had of being "mainstream" post-Slash went with him. Other than Axl, he was literally the only real draw. Not to mention he's an absolutely wicked guitar player and songwriter. And I'm a massive Robin fan, but Bucket was the real draw while he was around. I'll never forget the Chicago show in 2002 how much the (sold out) crowd loved him.

I personally think Buckethead is one of the best guitarists around (based on his contributions to CD)

Well son, then you better take a few days off and explore his solo albums. His contributions to CD (other than the TWAT solo) don't even begin to show a tiny portion of what an amazing musician he really is.

When Buckethead left, any chance GNR had of being "mainstream" post-Slash went with him. Other than Axl, he was literally the only real draw. Not to mention he's an absolutely wicked guitar player and songwriter. And I'm a massive Robin fan, but Bucket was the real draw while he was around. I'll never forget the Chicago show in 2002 how much the (sold out) crowd loved him.

Honestly, when I saw them perform in Belgium in 2002 (I believe it was), nobody knew Buckethead nor Robin Finck, Axl was always the main draw and the center of attention. I don't think that has changed in mainstream regards. All the articles I read about live gigs in the last decade mention Axl mostly and his bandmates as 'hired guns', regardless of what lineup. That's mainstream media mostly, I do hope that mainstream fans start to appreciate the guitarists in the current lineup.

I personally think Buckethead is one of the best guitarists around (based on his contributions to CD)

Well son, then you better take a few days off and explore his solo albums. His contributions to CD (other than the TWAT solo) don't even begin to show a tiny portion of what an amazing musician he really is.

It's on my bucket list. :tongue2:

P.S. I love his work on Carpenter's "Ghosts of Mars" as well rock3

Edited by Bumblefeet

Go to 1:37

Buckethead : [On Gun's N' Roses evolving] "There's lot's of exciting things down the road......it's like.....when you got a nice loaf in the oven and it's not quite done and you're just really excited for it"

Looking at that Interview now, what is your opinion on what he thought about the band? Do you think Guns has evolved into something "spectacular" and if not, do you think it will now?

Looking at these old videos from 2002 really reminds me how much of its own identity the lineup had. I mean, yeah, Buckethead was a big part of that just because of how off-the-wall he was. But still... I've said all this before and I'm not going to get into it as much as I have in the past (essays could be written on the complexities of it! :lol:) but I do think Axl was trying to establish the group on its own terms, and there was a palpable sense that they had more 'backing' behind them in some sense (whether it was the label or just more public interest, I'm not sure). I feel like this news clip is something you wouldn't get nowadays. I would love to hear more of the music that was recorded back then, but I have a feeling most of it is probably just fragments and a lot of it probably lacks vocals, you know what I mean?

I personally think Buckethead is one of the best guitarists around (based on his contributions to CD), but sadly one of the worst character creators; the mask is obviously a rip off from halloween and the bucket with the chicken references... for one or two gigs, ok we get it, but honestly, he is the 'yucko the clown' of the metal world. At least Daft Punk look cool in disguise...

Everyone knows it's a Michael Myers mask. He's never pretended otherwise. He's very into 80s horror movies.

None of any contributions made by the newer bands show the potential. That's one thing Axl really screwed up... He took amazing musicians and made mediocre music with them that didn't showcase their true potential. Only Axl could take such a plethora of talent and squash it away by having them record in small stints, individually, monitoring their every recording by phone call rather than let them be a band and create music together.. Such talent wasted, so much money and time wasted. It really sucks.

None of any contributions made by the newer bands show the potential. That's one thing Axl really screwed up... He took amazing musicians and made mediocre music with them that didn't showcase their true potential. Only Axl could take such a plethora of talent and squash it away by having them record in small stints, individually, monitoring their every recording by phone call rather than let them be a band and create music together.. Such talent wasted, so much money and time wasted. It really sucks.

If you don't like the songs in any album, you'll feel that way imo. Personally, I think songs like Better, Streets Of Dreams, There Was A Time, Catcher, and Prostitute are all inspired and contain amazing moments that are worthy of the Gn'R name.

The different characters and styles mesh together really well I thought, and when I listen to it there is a very cohesive sound that works, like for example how Robin's and Bucket's style of guitar worked together in There Was A Time, or how Axl and Robin wrote Better.

There was chemistry there.

Edited by Rovim

If you don't like the songs in any album, you'll feel that way imo. Personally, I think songs like Better, Streets Of Dreams, There Was A Time, Catcher, and Prostitute are all inspired and contain amazing moments that are worthy of the Gn'R name.

The different characters and styles mesh together really well I thought, and when I listen to it there is a very cohesive sound that works, like for example how Robin's and Bucket's style of guitar worked together in There Was A Time, or how Axl and Robin wrote Better.

I'm just saying, as great as Axl's concept was.... it is nothing compared to what it could have been. There are glimpses of brilliance, but the 'piece meal' cut and paste bullshit made it a session album. There isn't a lot of chemistry to be heard, it's a lotta bullshit over dubs that take away from any grove that could have been present.

My Favs... TWAT, TIL, The Blues, Catcher, Better. But for instance TWAT and TIL, have three strummed out chords on loop. Which is a far cry from the complexity of anything GNR did rhythm guitar wise, which is why it fails to live up to the GNR Brand.

Edited by jimb0

I'm just saying, as great as Axl's concept was.... it is nothing compared to what it could have been. There are glimpses of brilliance, but the 'piece meal' cut and paste bullshit made it a session album. There isn't a lot of chemistry to be heard, it's a lotta bullshit over dubs that take away from any grove that could have been present.

I like the layered style of it to be honest. I hear plenty of chemisty in the playing, even if at certain parts in some songs in does take away from the experience when you have 2 fucking drummers in one song, or when you can hear how Axl's vocals in Scraped for example were pieced together in a very obvious way and it didn't sound too good.

For the most part however, the album has a very distinct feel imo, and there is way more great things about it then unremarkable ones to my ears. I guess it's also what you expect from it, and your personal taste.

You like CD. I like parts of it. I think it could have been a lot better if Axl didn't need to be so in control of the creative process. It just doesn't grove like a band. There is no consistency.

What two songs have the same line-up playing it. The musical contributions are all over the place. 5 guitar players on a song as simple as CD. To me it's wierd. I wish they would have recorded it live like they play it now. would have sounded more like a band and what not.

You like CD. I like parts of it. I think it could have been a lot better if Axl didn't need to be so in control of the creative process. It just doesn't grove like a band. There is no consistency.

What two songs have the same line-up playing it. The musical contributions are all over the place. 5 guitar players on a song as simple as CD. To me it's wierd. I wish they would have recorded it live like they play it now. would have sounded more like a band and what not.

Yeah, how organic can it be when your creative process is like Axl's with Chinese? But if you like the end product, I don't think it matters.

Working on Chinese was probably like an orchestra playing a song. Everyone had their small part in it, and the conductor was Axl kinda.

I like the wall of guitars, I like how everytime I listen to the album I hear new sounds and I feel like most of the songs are strong enough, that they can carry the bombastic production. Kinda like Queen and I love Queen.

It sounds great live, but I prefer how it sounds on the album. I think I got your point tho.

Edited by Rovim