Alan Niven responds to Randy Lahey's "heart to heart" comment on MYGNR

Randy Lahey

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if I buy that Izzy was trying to talk Axl into attending the HOF. How would Alan Niven know this? Furthermore, Duff was skeptical in an interview with RS that Izzy would even attend, and Matt Sorum said he heard from Slash that Izzy wasn't attending before Axl, and subsequently Izzy, made their announcements regarding the HOF.

Also, all due respect to Alan Niven, but he comes off as bitter towards Axl (see the comment, "then again, how sweet is Sweet Child. Or Rocket Queen. That is Axl as an angel. Maybe even a bi-sexual one"), and perhaps rightfully so. Regardless, he is only speaking his side of things, so there are sides/factors to consider.

Ali

I'm not sure if I buy that Izzy was trying to talk Axl into attending the HOF. How would Alan Niven know this? Furthermore, Duff was skeptical in an interview with RS that Izzy would even attend, and Matt Sorum said he heard from Slash that Izzy wasn't attending before Axl, and subsequently Izzy, made their announcements regarding the HOF.

Seems Izzy made up his mind at the last minute, which suggests that it was due to Axl's decision that he decided not to go:

"I have waited up to this point to see what would become of the GNR induction into RRHOF. I would like to say THANK YOU and GRACIAS to RRHOF for the acknowledgement of our works over the years as a band. BIG THANKS to all my bandmates who helped get us to where we are today. And, of course, THANK YOU to all of the people on this planet (including, but not limited to, the entire universe and beyond, etc., etc., etc.) who have supported Guns N' Roses from day one. Adios, Amigos!

Izzy Stradlin

LONG LIVE ROCK N ROLL!"

I found some of his opinions a bit contradictory. He starts of by saying that he had no knowledge of why Axl felt touring in 91 would jeopardise his well being but about twenty minutes later acknowledges that the Maynards were taking Axl for a ride because he was in a poor mental space and lack of appropriate help or guidance had allowed the charlatans in.

If that was his opinion on the Maynard then surely he can see why Axl may not have felt up to touring even if he didn't say so at the time. The management should have provided the necessary support to have prevented that situation.

JMO but it made it unclear as to whether he recognised Axl's personal troubles or not. For someone who mentioned their own major depressive episode he came across as rather unsympathetic to Axl's demons.

And unless you were beaten everyday at boarding school it's not comparable to a truly abusive childhood.

Ironically I can actually see some similarities between Alan and Axl, maybe this is partly why they clashed.

Edited by alfierose

Seems Izzy made up his mind at the last minute, which suggests that it was due to Axl's decision that he decided not to go:

"I have waited up to this point to see what would become of the GNR induction into RRHOF. I would like to say THANK YOU and GRACIAS to RRHOF for the acknowledgement of our works over the years as a band. BIG THANKS to all my bandmates who helped get us to where we are today. And, of course, THANK YOU to all of the people on this planet (including, but not limited to, the entire universe and beyond, etc., etc., etc.) who have supported Guns N' Roses from day one. Adios, Amigos!

Izzy Stradlin

LONG LIVE ROCK N ROLL!"

Yeah, but you missed one of the comments I made. Matt Sorum gave an interview before both Axl and Izzy released their statements. He said Slash had told him he spoke to Izzy and that Izzy told Slash he wasn't going to the HOF.

Matt Sorum interview from April 2nd, 2012:

http://loudwire.com/former-guns-n-roses-drummer-matt-sorum-izzy-stradlin-will-not-attend-rock-hall-induction/

http://hairbangersradio.ning.com/profiles/blogs/matt-sorum-says-izzy-stradlin-isn-t-planning-to-attending-gn-r

Sorum: "I thought about it, but, you know, I don't think I'm the guy to do it," he said. "I asked Slash if he would do it, and Slash's answer to me was that he spoke to [guitarist] Izzy [stradlin] and Izzy wasn't planning on coming. So I think that was like, if Izzy's not going to come and it's not all the original guys, then it doesn't make sense."

Axl's letter, dated April 11th, 2012:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=2247

Ali

I found some of his opinions a bit contradictory. He starts of by saying that he had no knowledge of why Axl felt touring in 91 would jeopardise his well being but about twenty minutes later acknowledges that the Maynards were taking Axl for a ride because he was in a poor mental space and lack of appropriate help or guidance had allowed the charlatans in.

Pardon me if i'm mistaken but it's not the words Alan said if I remember correctly.

Izzy Stradlin

LONG LIVE ROCK N ROLL!"

Yeah, but you missed one of the comments I made. Matt Sorum gave an interview before both Axl and Izzy released their statements. He said Slash had told him he spoke to Izzy and that Izzy told Slash he wasn't going to the HOF.

http://loudwire.com/former-guns-n-roses-drummer-matt-sorum-izzy-stradlin-will-not-attend-rock-hall-induction/

http://hairbangersradio.ning.com/profiles/blogs/matt-sorum-says-izzy-stradlin-isn-t-planning-to-attending-gn-r

Sorum: "I thought about it, but, you know, I don't think I'm the guy to do it," he said. "I asked Slash if he would do it, and Slash's answer to me was that he spoke to [guitarist] Izzy [stradlin] and Izzy wasn't planning on coming. So I think that was like, if Izzy's not going to come and it's not all the original guys, then it doesn't make sense."

Ali

Fact is we don't know when Axl and Izzy were supposed to meet, we don't know when Slash spoke to Izzy and we don't know what Izzy really said to Slash.

I was paraphrasing but the jist of it was that Axl was lost and needed guidance and they took advantage. I don't think anyone can deny that to be the case even if they don't like Axl.

It just seemed odd that he recognised that but didn't relate it to Axl saying he wasn't in a fit state at the time of touring.

I was paraphrasing but the jist of it was that Axl was lost and needed guidance and they took advantage. I don't think anyone can deny that to be the case even if they don't like Axl.

It just seemed odd that he recognised that but didn't relate it to Axl saying he wasn't in a fit state at the time of touring.

I don't trust Axl's words... He also said he was forced to tour in 2002 but in a interview he said "It's a dream realized. A dream come true. The right time, the right place and the whole thing came about by chance. I guess it's meant to be. This was something we could not turn down.".

Pardon me if i'm mistaken but it's not the words Alan said if I remember correctly.

>

Izzy Stradlin

LONG LIVE ROCK N ROLL!"

Ali

Fact is we don't know when Axl and Izzy were supposed to meet, we don't know when Slash spoke to Izzy and we don't know what Izzy really said to Slash.

Clearly, we know Slash spoke to Izzy before Izzy made his announcement that he wasn't attending. Though, there is no audio recording of Slash and Izzy's conversation, Izzy said something that indicated he was not planning on attending. So, the notion that Izzy decided at the last minute after Axl made his intentions clear, may not be accurate.

Ali

I don't trust Axl's words... He also said he was forced to tour in 2002 but in a interview he said "It's a dream realized. A dream come true. The right time, the right place and the whole thing came about by chance. I guess it's meant to be. This was something we could not turn down.".

Sometimes people lie about stuff because they want to say what people want to hear. It's not always reflective of what they feel inside. Of course he might make stuff up for the sake of it or rewrite history in his head. Who knows? It's all just speculation, even Alan is speculating, as he said Axl has a complex mind.

I just thought he could have shown a little more empathy.

What's the story behind my thread being moved here?

Only discussions about the current gnr and the "camp" are allowed in the main section I guess. Slash would die and it wouldn't be a worthy news in the main section either I suppose.

I'm sorry Alan but at this point it's he said she said. This type of information does nothing for either parties at this point. You're about twenty years too late. Do you think maybe the reason he was so intimidating and defensive was the fact that he had two alcoholics, a heroine junkie, and a shy rhythm guitar player that could split at any second threatening to tear down what he was trying to do? I would protect myself and my livelyhood as well. Let me ask you this. How many phonecalls did you make to Slash asking him to stop drinking and actually take it seriously? The man practically died infront of an elevator in a hotel. Do you not think this alienating as well? There are two sides to every coin. Try having a heart to heart with everyone before dumping the load on one man.

Also, all due respect to Alan Niven, but he comes off as bitter towards Axl (see the comment, "then again, how sweet is Sweet Child. Or Rocket Queen. That is Axl as an angel. Maybe even a bi-sexual one"), and perhaps rightfully so. Regardless, he is only speaking his side of things, so there are sides/factors to consider.

Ali

The other inductees were aware from the beginning that Izzy was not attending and it had nothing to do with Axl. All due respect to Mr. Niven if Izzy was meeting with Axl it was not about the HOF. And I agree with Ali about the comments from Mr. Niven implying Axl's bisexuality. He has been the only past insider that has ever made statements implying this. If it was remotely true it would have been media fodder long ago.

That doesnt sound like a heart to heart. It was more why are you being a dick. I would say that the real issue was probably being pushed aside, maybe even some back peddling as Axl probably was focused on saving himself.

Its obvious Axl is a dick once you arent in his interest. But in terms of GNR if hes winning everyone does. But if hes marginalised and made to feel like somekind of slave then its must deflate everything that drives him.

Its a shame Axl had to be demonized so the others could quit.

I'm sorry Alan but at this point it's he said she said. This type of information does nothing for either parties at this point. You're about twenty years too late. Do you think maybe the reason he was so intimidating and defensive was the fact that he had two alcoholics, a heroine junkie, and a shy rhythm guitar player that could split at any second threatening to tear down what he was trying to do? I would protect myself and my livelyhood as well. Let me ask you this. How many phonecalls did you make to Slash asking him to stop drinking and actually take it seriously? The man practically died infront of an elevator in a hotel. Do you not think this alienating as well? There are two sides to every coin. Try having a heart to heart with everyone before dumping the load on one man.

I truly do NOT fucking care about Alan Niven and I haven't read anything from him, but judging by your and a few other posters, does this guy really need the attention he's getting so much that he had to mention Axl/GnR 20 years later? Pathetic and only in GnR land such things can happen.

Axl was responding Nivens interviews he did a few years ago. Around time of slsh book.

People definitely interested in these anecdotes. I think Axl has been to right to keep the control of band and not let them be just puppets to some managers. As weve seen from CD they barely need management to sell some records n tour.

Axl was responding Nivens interviews he did a few years ago. Around time of slsh book.

People definitely interested in these anecdotes. I think Axl has been to right to keep the control of band and not let them be just puppets to some managers. As weve seen from CD they barely need management to sell some records n tour.

I believe those interviews were in response to what Axl said In his chats and/or other interviews. I recall in one interview Alan saying " I have a right to defend myself against this Guy".

Edi found the interview, Niven was responding to shit Axl said about him:

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/exclusive-former-gnr-manager-counters-axls-claims/

Edited by williambailey01

Lol then before that...Axl must of started it by getting him fired, but Axl clains Niven teied to get him fired. But Axl was late so he peobably started it.

Maybe Axl wilk respond to the heart to heart debate.

Interesting. I wonder what axl does to be so intimidating. So that's why the band never confronted him about being late or how they agreed with things he wanted even if they didn't really like it. :suspicious:

So izzy's on good terms with both alan and axl. But when he says arranged meeting sounds formal. Like other people were involved and axl knew it was gonna be about the HOF.

Edited by useyorappetite