Alan Niven responds to Randy Lahey's "heart to heart" comment on MYGNR

Randy Lahey

Some Additional Guns N’ Roses Comments from Alan Niven

Screen-Shot-2013-03-15-at-9.36.50-AM-300

Alan Niven followed up with Dropping The Needle with some additional comments (don’t shoot the messenger, lol).

I have been made aware of some of the comments made on various GnR sites. Some are clearly of a prejudiced nature, and there are many who don’t seem to actually listen to what was actually said … but such is the nature of forums.

The one comment I would respond to is the statement that there were obviously no meaningful [heart to heart] conversations between Axl and myself, or him and the others for that matter. That could not be further from the truth;

There were countless such conversations and phone calls -

one of the last ones I had with Axl, I was trying to explain to him the dynamic he was engendering – that he tended to intimidate people … that his method made people defensive and alienated, that he came off like a bit of a dick - even if that was not his intent and purpose … and I suggested he think thru how he talked to people … and for him to consider how fearful people were of him …. whether that was his fault or not – I tried to empower his communication skills by illuminating his understanding – the very next call I had from him, was his call to say he wouldn’t work with me anymore … so maybe that was his intent after all.

When Izzy travelled to LA to try to talk Axl into attending the Hall Of Fame event, Axl failed to show for the pre-arranged meeting. Les plus sont changes les moins sont changes.

This is the comment that Alan responded to: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/197573-dropping-the-needle-alan-niven-talks-gnr/?p=3370764

Edited by Randy Lahey

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Les plus sont changes les moins sont changes"

I'm french and that doesn't mean anything at all lol

Maybe he meant "Plus ça change plus c'est pareil"..

I wonder if Alan reads this forum. Marc Carter has his section, Alan could have his section too, that would be interesting.

Pretty cool that he responded to that comment though. It seems Axl is a difficult person to communicate with and to give any kind of criticism to. Makes it hard to work out issues.

Thanks, I was wondering wtf that meant.

il devait vouloir dire plus ca change plus c'est pareil, mais bon, google translation... haha

When Izzy travelled to LA to try to talk Axl into attending the Hall Of Fame event, Axl failed to show for the pre-arranged meeting. Les plus sont changes les moins sont changes

Didnt know this. Shows that Izzy cared about HOF and finally didn´t went to not create any more drama.

It sucks...imagine if Axl just showed up, and talked to Izzy...maybe things would have been different.

Axl should grow some balls and stop escaping of situations that are not 100% comfortable, but are needed.

News about Izzy/RRHOF is surprising, and makes the fact hat he played with Axl throughout 2012 interesting.

Tempted by money? Or just glad to have his old friend from Lafayette back in his life? Who knows. But it's surprising he cared enough about RRHOF to go to LA to convince Axl to turn up.

That photo of Axl and Izzy with Sasha in that club says a lot about the power dynamic in their relationship. Which is prob how Axl wants it.

There could have been numerous reasons, which were completely harmless why axl never met with izzy, perhaps izzy was made aware before he turned up wherever it was? I'm sure if Axl let izzy down, then Axl would have made up for it some how.

I know I'm pro axl but it couldn't have offended izzy that badly for him to still play in europe and vages with the band after this event.

That photo of Axl and Izzy with Sasha in that club says a lot about the power dynamic in their relationship. Which is prob how Axl wants it.

What photo?

This one (can't find a better quality version right now):
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwLA26pOoc9G_CXD5Ss3SwG-sapRwVD9Di2aSa4izzDyGOxkZM

I always thought that was the clipper/boat that he travelled to and from the show? I could be wrong though.

Edited by Axl_morris

Randy, no offense, but you need to learn how to use "quotes." That's not me being a grammar nazi, it's just since you didn't provide any sort of link, it's not clear what is your editorial additions (the square brackets with 'heart to heart' in them?) and what's not.

Just sayin.

You can find the comments at droppingtheneedle.com. And the only thing I did was bold the heart to heart comment.

Randy, no offense, but you need to learn how to use "quotes." That's not me being a grammar nazi, it's just since you didn't provide any sort of link, it's not clear what is your editorial additions (the square brackets with 'heart to heart' in them?) and what's not.

Just sayin.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Hmmm.. the admins hinted someone formerly involved with the band might start posting here (they seemed to indicate a former member, but I can't remember exactly what Subs said, it's in Support for anyone who wants to dig it up, not that old).

I wonder though... if the special guest might be Alan Niven?!

Randy, you're a legend.

When Izzy travelled to LA to try to talk Axl into attending the Hall Of Fame event, Axl failed to show for the pre-arranged meeting. Les plus sont changes les moins sont changes.

Goddamn. :shock:

Oh, and thanks Randy for this!

Izzy couldn't have been that upset considering he played with the band multiple times after the rrhof.

I'm sorry Alan but at this point it's he said she said. This type of information does nothing for either parties at this point. You're about twenty years too late. Do you think maybe the reason he was so intimidating and defensive was the fact that he had two alcoholics, a heroine junkie, and a shy rhythm guitar player that could split at any second threatening to tear down what he was trying to do? I would protect myself and my livelyhood as well. Let me ask you this. How many phonecalls did you make to Slash asking him to stop drinking and actually take it seriously? The man practically died infront of an elevator in a hotel. Do you not think this alienating as well? There are two sides to every coin. Try having a heart to heart with everyone before dumping the load on one man.

Edited by iftheworld

I'm sorry Alan but at this point it's he said she said. This type of information does nothing for either parties at this point. You're about twenty years too late. Do you think maybe the reason he was so intimidating and defensive was the fact that he had two alcoholics, a heroine junkie, and a shy rhythm guitar player that could split at any second threatening to tear down what he was trying to do? I would protect myself and my livelyhood as well. Let me ask you this. How many phonecalls did you make to Slash asking him to stop drinking and actually take it seriously? The man practically died infront of an elevator in a hotel. Do you not think this alienating as well? There are two sides to every coin. Try having a heart to heart with everyone before dumping the load on one man.

Please, you don't know Alan, neither Slash or Axl and you weren't there... Stop defending Axl at all cost for a moment.