Interesting--Alan Niven wanted to fire Axl right after AFD came out

Vincent Vega

This is why Axl wanted the name. Security. And that's why Niven got out, you can see he doesn't like Axl, as much as he tries to, and you can see his problem in terms of just making it a viable band and not a trianwreck. But Guns and Axl got so big it was irrelevant. Axl can turn up 4 hours late and the fans will still be there. And niven may hate UYI but it sold, and he might hate the videos but the fans like them. Even the piano was great, really gave UYI a Stonesy/Doors vibe. but Niven called him Elton Rose, it's not very respectful is it.

Also muddles the picture further about when Axl did the whole 'name contract' thing. Niven says it happened not long after he was fired, in May '91. Slash had the date as on or around September 1st 1992. Duff gives it as July 7th 1993.

It was Sept 1st 1992. The legal documents are on Chinese Whsipers.
Hi. is that gnrevolution site? can't find them - can you provide a link please?

Man Axl must have really been on tenterhooks with such a treacherous manager.

"On, or around September 1, 1992, Axl, Slash and Duff entered into a written partnership agreement defining the rights of the Original GNR partners, and obligations entitled "Memorandum of Agreement". [...] Among other things, the Agreement provided that Axl would own the rights to the name "Guns N' Roses" if he was expelled or voluntarily withdrew from the partnership." (Slash & Duff v. Axl lawsuit document, 2004).

"In 1992, Geffen's corporate predecessor entered into a new recording agreement with Messrs. Hudson, McKagan and Rose dated September 1, 1992 (hereinafter the "Recording Agreement")." (Greatest Hits lawsuit document, 2004)

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?pid=54633#p54633

There were many times that the band was thinking about firing Axl. If I remember correct, one time in 1986-1987 Slash n Duff talked about it. They were gonna, until Axl came and explained what happened, and they thought, "well fuck, whatever lets forget about it".

Good thing Axl secured the name or the Slash/Gilby/Sorum brigade would have forced him out when Axl wouldn't bend over. Can you imagine bullshit like "Monkey Chow" under the GNR banner? Scary that could have been reality!

Like that's any worse than this joke of an album that took 14 years and $14M dollars. :takethat:

Edited by axlrosefan1

Good thing Axl secured the name or the Slash/Gilby/Sorum brigade would have forced him out when Axl wouldn't bend over. Can you imagine bullshit like "Monkey Chow" under the GNR banner? Scary that could have been reality!

Like that's any worse than this joke of an album that took 14 years and $14M dollars. :takethat:

You're a retard with 92 posts what do you know?

You're a retard with 92 posts what do you know?

So post count determines intelligence? Quick everyone, post more. Forget education. Your post count on a GNR forum dictates your knowledge. Really? And nice use of an ad hominem fallacy.

And?

For every Monkey Chow there's a Beggars and Hangers On

For every Scraped there's a TWAT.

That explains the contract thing. Axl was afraid they would fire him of the band and out of the rights of GNR!

Axl thought they were outta get him. And they won't get him, because he's fuuuuuckin innoceeeeeent! and take that with your heart too lol

Question is, was there a reason for the whole band to think about firing Axl?!

Given the behaviour i believe there was, but i think that would be as wrong as what Axl is doing nowadays!

Edited by AndreCC

It already is true. Monkey Chow in fact is better that If the World and Chinese Democracy also.

Monkey Chow is worst than Rhiad, IMO. It's Silkworms bad. That first Snakepit album is all-out hit or miss and Monkey Chow is a miss.

I don't think that I've heard Monkey Chow or at least remember what it sounds like. All I know, is that I cringe at the intro of Scraped and cannot stand the rest of the song. I hate IF the World, Silkworms, and Rhiad. The album is VERY below average. (whether Silkworms was supposed to be on it or not.)

So,..........I'm pretty sure Monkey Chow (in it's literal meaning) is better than Scraped.

Edited by Carne_asaDA

I don't think that I've heard Monkey Chow or at least remember what it sounds like. All I know, is that I cringe at the intro of Scraped and cannot stand the rest of the song. I hate IF the World, Silkworms, and Rhiad. The album is VERY below average. (whether Silkworms was supposed to be on it or not.)

So,..........I'm pretty sure Monkey Chow (in it's literal meaning) is better than Scraped.

I like the way you put that without even looking it up. Haha. You're right. Those songs suck cocks.

How can you fire the star factor? How can that be deemed a viable move? Slash was talented with hooks and riffs, but the band would never have amounted to anything outside of the Strip without Axl.

Funny.

Think of all the bands that did make it out of the sunset strip. You are saying that Slash, Duff and Izzy weren't a talented enough group to pick a new singer and make it as far as bands like Skid Row, Motley Crue, Warrant, Ratt, Poison, etc.

And the only reason they were successful with Velvet Revolver was because for the second time in their career they got lucky with a dynamic singer?

And, since VR was more successful than Axl's vision of GnR, are you implying that Scott Weidland is a better frontman than Axl?

Velvet Revolver was made possible by the success those players enjoyed with GN'R. The supergroup was lucrative to people like Scott Weiland because of the GN'R pedigree. The only person you could say with confidence could have enjoyed relative success without Guns N' Roses would have been Slash. That is proven by the irrelevance of Duff and Matt musically outside of that project.

Izzy and Axl were a creative pair certainly. But Izzy needed Axl more than Axl needed Izzy and that's the reality. Where is Izzy today? Reappearing with Axl and new GN'R.

And where is Axl and new Guns N' Roses today? Touring the hits Izzy helped writing.

On tour playing to very large audiences in various parts of the globe. With a 5 mill+ record to boast in a world of MP3s.

It's silly to believe Izzy wrote the setlist GN'R play. He probably contributed a lot to parts of the song catalogue. Should Trent Reznor stop playing the NIN material which featured players like Robin Finck when that project start afresh later this year? No because it's his material too. Slash plays GN'R songs with Izzy credits. If you're successful at playing the old material why stop?

It has never been verified that ChiDem sold more than 3 million units.....still excellent but not 5 million as you claim........

I think we can assume, with credibility, that since its release in 2008, pre-repeated tours, Chinese Democracy has sold in excess of 5 million units.

Edited by NGOG

How can you fire the star factor? How can that be deemed a viable move? Slash was talented with hooks and riffs, but the band would never have amounted to anything outside of the Strip without Axl.

Funny.

Think of all the bands that did make it out of the sunset strip. You are saying that Slash, Duff and Izzy weren't a talented enough group to pick a new singer and make it as far as bands like Skid Row, Motley Crue, Warrant, Ratt, Poison, etc.

And the only reason they were successful with Velvet Revolver was because for the second time in their career they got lucky with a dynamic singer?

And, since VR was more successful than Axl's vision of GnR, are you implying that Scott Weidland is a better frontman than Axl?

Velvet Revolver was made possible by the success those players enjoyed with GN'R. The supergroup was lucrative to people like Scott Weiland because of the GN'R pedigree. The only person you could say with confidence could have enjoyed relative success without Guns N' Roses would have been Slash. That is proven by the irrelevance of Duff and Matt musically outside of that project.

Izzy and Axl were a creative pair certainly. But Izzy needed Axl more than Axl needed Izzy and that's the reality. Where is Izzy today? Reappearing with Axl and new GN'R.

And where is Axl and new Guns N' Roses today? Touring the hits Izzy helped writing.

On tour playing to very large audiences in various parts of the globe. With a 5 mill+ record to boast in a world of MP3s.

It's silly to believe Izzy wrote the setlist GN'R play. He probably contributed a lot to parts of the song catalogue. Should Trent Reznor stop playing the NIN material which featured players like Robin Finck when that project start afresh later this year? No because it's his material too. Slash plays GN'R songs with Izzy credits. If you're successful at playing the old material why stop?

It has never been verified that ChiDem sold more than 3 million units.....still excellent but not 5 million as you claim........

I think we can assume, with credibility, that since its release in 2008, pre-repeated tours, Chinese Democracy has sold in excess of 5 million units.

An assumption is not fact and actually we can't as there is plenty of evidence which has been posted on this forum to dispute your assumption...nobody has ever been able to provide citations to prove CHiDem sold more than 3-3.5 million copies...If you have it lets see it...........

Monkey Chow is better than Scraped.

Keep telling yourself that everyday and maybe in an alternate universe it might become true.

Fuck you. He can have his opinion.

Justin Bieber is better than Iron Maiden.

Fuck it i can have an "opinion" also.

PS I expect to be suspended by Powerage for this coment :shades: