March 24th, 2013 - Sepang, Malaysia

Freaka

Indeed. I think the photo itself is just blurry. You can easily make out DJ Solo, Sweet Child, November Rain, and so on.

Interesting that Perfect Crime is still an option. If Axl could bring the rasp for that one, I'd love to hear it.

Edited by James Bond

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there last night. Few words quickly...

- They weren't late!

- Axl's voice was ok, but no rasp. But also no mickey mouse, just singing quite high. Also no more ac/dc covers... :)

- I started to hate Axl's hats. Really started to think he is trying to hide something??

- Setlist was ok, but nothing new. Catcher was nice and Axl got his mojo goin on Seeker.

- Axl forgot lyrics on Estranged, Pitman falled on It's so esy, Knocking on didn't stop. Lasted like 15min.. This I love and rocket queen was good! Also paradise city.

- Dizzy's solo was the best. But still too much solos for me!

- Stage was ok. Perhaps too much lights and everything. Is this circus or rock show.. Why all the Axl's family have to be on stage too? A bit disturbing..

- After all it was still entertaining! Really much talent in this band. They just have to start doing something new, because right now they're becoming quite boring band. I would make the show a bit more simple. Like in 2006. Now there is just too much going on. All the lights, videos and weird people hanging around... Keep it simple and rock on! :)

Btw, didn't find any touring-shirts, but outside of the concert area were a lot of. One had pic of Slash's band with text Guns N' Roses Live in Sepang 2013!! :D

was hey man on stage?

527833_548235938531875_1946405808_n.jpg

that setlist...

ockquote>why is the setlist on the left blurred? secret songs on that one? and the band could've played perfect crime, madagascar, if the world, oh my god, scraped, rhiad, twat, and prositute!
You can easily distinguish the song titles. Nothing new.

OK. Maybe something new on the next tour.

I was there last night. Few words quickly...

- They weren't late!

- Axl's voice was ok, but no rasp. But also no mickey mouse, just singing quite high. Also no more ac/dc covers... :)

- I started to hate Axl's hats. Really started to think he is trying to hide something??

- Setlist was ok, but nothing new. Catcher was nice and Axl got his mojo goin on Seeker.

- Axl forgot lyrics on Estranged, Pitman falled on It's so esy, Knocking on didn't stop. Lasted like 15min.. This I love and rocket queen was good! Also paradise city.

- Dizzy's solo was the best. But still too much solos for me!

- Stage was ok. Perhaps too much lights and everything. Is this circus or rock show.. Why all the Axl's family have to be on stage too? A bit disturbing..

- After all it was still entertaining! Really much talent in this band. They just have to start doing something new, because right now they're becoming quite boring band. I would make the show a bit more simple. Like in 2006. Now there is just too much going on. All the lights, videos and weird people hanging around... Keep it simple and rock on! :)

Btw, didn't find any touring-shirts, but outside of the concert area were a lot of. One had pic of Slash's band with text Guns N' Roses Live in Sepang 2013!! :D

was hey man on stage?

527833_548235938531875_1946405808_n.jpg

that setlist...ockquote>why is the setlist on the left blurred? secret songs on that one? and the band could've played perfect crime, madagascar, if the world, oh my god, scraped, rhiad, twat, and prositute!

You can easily distinguish the song titles. Nothing new.

OK. Maybe something new on the next tour.
Nope.

I really dislike it when the clean voice appears in Jungle.

it kills it, jungle must be full rasp

There's nothing intimidating about a Mouse Welcoming You to the Jungle.. It just sounds funny. Welcome to the Jungle Mickey? You're making me laugh not scream.

I really dislike it when the clean voice appears in Jungle.

it kills it, jungle must be full rasp

There's nothing intimidating about a Mouse Welcoming You to the Jungle.. It just sounds funny. Welcome to the Jungle Mickey? You're making me laugh not scream.

LMAO!!Love your posts,I always get a chuckle out of most of your posts.

Hey guys! It's been ages since I've posted anything on here. The forum looks so different! I was at the Guns concert at Sepang (I'm from Malaysia you see.), and I took a few pictures, slightly blurry though. It was so exciting seeing Axl and the band for the first time. They sounded great. I can die a happy man now that I've seen both Mr.Rose and Mr.Hudson live, although separately!

All in all, it was an amazing night. Axl sounds so raw live. They dedicated 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' to Beta and her family. That was really sweet. And it seemed like Axl enjoyed singing 'The Seeker' a whole lot more than his own songs! That song (along with 'Estranged') was probably the best of the night! Crowd size was about 60-70,000 easily. And the best part of it all was this, the concert was scheduled to start at 8pm, and Axl came on at sharp 8! Hope you guys enjoy the blurry pics.
Peace and Love,
Edward
(UPDATE: Can't seem to figure out how to post pictures, but will try again some time later! Sorry!)
Edited by Scorpio King 511

Hey guys! It's been ages since I've posted anything on here. The forum looks so different! I was at the Guns concert at Sepang (I'm from Malaysia you see.), and I took a few pictures, slightly blurry though. It was so exciting seeing Axl and the band for the first time. They sounded great. I can die a happy man now that I've seen both Mr.Rose and Mr.Hudson live, although separately!

All in all, it was an amazing night. Axl sounds so raw live. They dedicated 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' to Beta and her family. That was really sweet. And it seemed like Axl enjoyed singing 'The Seeker' a whole lot more than his own songs! That song (along with 'Estranged') was probably the best of the night! Crowd size was about 60-70,000 easily. And the best part of it all was this, the concert was scheduled to start at 8pm, and Axl came on at sharp 8! Hope you guys enjoy the blurry pics.
Peace and Love,
Edward
(UPDATE: Can't seem to figure out how to post pictures, but will try again some time later! Sorry!)

To post pictures use the image function next to the link / unlink function.

Wow that's a huge crowd! I read on BBF's twitter he can't wait to return to Malaysia. So I guess Guns still have good followers in Malaysia.

Guns N' Roses rocks Sepang
By Zaidi Isham Ismail
Tweet
0 comments
SEPANG: American rock band Guns N' Roses entertained the 10,000 crowd at the Petronas Formula One race with a wide variety of music.
The band which has sold over 100 million albums worlwide since its formation in 1987 belted out hits like November Rain, Paradise City and Sweet Child o' Mine.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday March 26, 2013
Appetite for more
By CHRISTINE CHEAH Photos by Shahrul Fazry Ismail
entertainment@thestar.com.my
Guns ‘n’ Roses heating up the stage at the helipad of the Sepang International Circuit.
Legendary rock act Guns ‘n’ Roses kept the engines revving at F1’s post-race party.
They say good things never last, but on Sunday night, 51-year-old Axl Rose blasted the tracks off the helipad at the Sepang International Circuit with his effervescent vocals giving the indication that Guns ‘n’ Roses might actually be around until the end of time.
The Guns ‘n’ Roses lead singer, who has been known for his tardiness, arrived on time (8pm sharp!) for his band’s headlining slot at the F1 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix 2013 post-race concert at the Sepang International Circuit. No hitches, no delays.
For a two-and-a-half hour long set, it seemed as though Guns ‘n’ Roses might have beaten the Red Bull team (Sebastian Vettel won the race earlier in Sepang) to the top of the podium in terms of endurance as the fired-up group unleashed a crowd-pleasing set with an Appetite For Destruction and saving the powerful and demanding best bit, Patience, for last.
Back in 2010, former Guns ‘n’ Roses guitarist Slash and his band played to 8,000 fans at Sunway Lagoon in Selangor.
On Sunday in Sepang, the same number of fans thronged the helipad circuit (as early as 5.30pm) to experience the other side of Guns ‘n’ Roses – Axl Rose in his full glory.
For many hardcore followers, it was like putting pieces of a puzzle together since the Guns ‘n’ Roses legacy is now broken into two camps – the Axl Rose half and the Slash (and gang) half.
Despite the number of vintage GnR T-shirts seen at the venue (from the Lies ‘newspaper’ T-shirt to Use Your Illusion tour T-shirts), the dream of watching the band’s classic 1986 line-up is not going to happen any time soon.
Instead, Malaysians got a taste of Axl’s Guns ‘n’ Roses powered by guitarists Ron ‘Bumblefoot’ Thal, DJ Ashba and Richard Fortus, bassist/backing vocalist Tommy Stinson, drummer Frank Ferrer and keyboardists/backing vocalists Dizzy Reed and Chris Pitman.
Guns ‘n’ Roses frontman Axl Rose arrived on time and swept the fans away at the F1 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix 2013 post-race concert at the Sepang International Circuit.
It wasn’t so bad on stage as the band cranked up the volume from the start, with Chinese Democracy, Welcome To The Jungle, It’s So Easy and Mr Brownstone aiming for the jugular.
After a recent Australian tour, Guns ‘n’ Roses looked the part as a lean and mean machine. Guitarists DJ Ashba and Richard Fortus got the opportunity to strut their strings on solo as well, showing that they too were on par with their ‘boss’.
To make it slightly controversial, Ashba was spotted with the Slash-like hat and if you think he did not earn the strings to grace that stage with Rose, he certainly defied those Rose bashers with his electrifying stunt of finger filigrees.
With five video screens featuring high definition graphics with endless pyrotechnics accompanying Rose’s penchant for a perfect performance, the audience which comprised of a good mix of foreigners and Malaysians were definitely seduced by 1980s rock nostalgia (too bad Civil War wasn’t included in the set).
The band’s favourites from the early 1990s were also dispatched with You Could Be Mine, Live And Let Die (the Paul McCartney & Wings classic) and Don’t Cry reminding us that in these K-pop and indie-centred times that a bit of showbiz spectacle and stadium rock can be rather refreshing.
Back to the white heat of the show, there was a crowd-connecting moment as Malaysians stood and sang when the familiar chords of Negaraku were respectfully delivered by Bumblefoot during his solo act.
The level was just brought higher after that bit of patriotism when Rose tamed the raging fans with Sweet Child O’ Mine sending his voice skywards and almost shattering the chandeliers hanging from the VIP tents.
Despite the Rose’ portrayal to critics and fans as being a troubled man with tantrums, the frontman showing his soft side when he sat down for the piano-laden November Rain, which brought a twinkle to the night.
It was a sombre moment when Knocking On Heaven’s Door came about as Rose dedicated the song to a member of the tour entourage who lost her father the night before the Sepang show.
A cover of The Who’s The Seeker carried the band to the last stretch, before a blistering version of Paradise City reminded the fans that work on Monday could wait!
As the last remaining original Guns ‘n’ Roses member, Axl had to run the show and he did it well on stage. Sporting shades and a wide-brimmed hat throughout the concert, Axl also brought in the humour of the hot and humid weather here by saying: “I am from Indiana in the United States and I think we have the weather in common.”
Though there was this slight quirkiness of Rose lollygagging back and forth as if he had an itchy bum and the rest of his troupe all dressed up to the theme of post-armageddon, the visuals, vocals and showmanship lived up to the expectations proving that Slash-less does not make Guns ‘n’ Roses any lesser than before.

=============================================================================================

So it was roughly 10k fans at the concert...nowhere near 60k like prev poster mentioned.

But hey he got a favorable review from the Malaysian journalist, not bad huh..

Edited by cheesecake

Not hating on anything here, but as i recall during 2010 when Axl was on fire vocally, there were a lot of "meh" reviews in regards to some of the shows they did, now his voice isn't as good (imo) and he's been getting a shit load of good reviews.

Weird.

Still, as long as people who went to the show had a great time then that's all that matters.

Not hating on anything here, but as i recall during 2010 when Axl was on fire vocally, there were a lot of "meh" reviews in regards to some of the shows they did, now his voice isn't as good (imo) and he's been getting a shit load of good reviews.

Weird.

Still, as long as people who went to the show had a great time then that's all that matters.

Obviously what people say/think outside of this forum doesn't hold any water :)

This is one of those shows where a country is prolly paying a bunch of money to bring events to their country to get publicity, try to present themselves as a first world nation...I wouldn't be too concerned about attendance.

Malaysia is a cut above Mugabe's Zaire.