Any chance you could ban the trolls?

Guest NGOG

Okay, some of the recent posts might have been in good fun, but let's not turn this into a silly or bitching thread.

If you two want to argue, take it to the PMs :max:

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

I was fuckin' with him. I would never do that. I mean, if I'm banned and he's not. It's cool.

Love ya, barcadimayne (even if you're a shitposter) :lol:

Name your price. If it's good enough I will take my time and collect your shitty posts and send them in a PM to HV.

I'm waiting.

Ok, seeing as I don't actually have spare money lying around to be putting in escrow for x months until one of us is banned, how about... if I'm banned for any reason in the next 6 months, I won't come back under any name. Same goes for you.

If you can convince HV to get rid of me, you're rid of me for good. If you're banned, you fuck off for good as well. Deal?

:rofl-lol:

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, some of the recent posts might have been in good fun, but let's not turn this into a silly or bitching thread.

If you two want to argue, take it to the PMs :max:

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

I was fuckin' with him. I would never do that. I mean, if I'm banned and he's not. It's cool.

Love ya, barcadimayne (even if you're a shitposter) :lol:

You just scared, hooray for tolerance!.

Am I the only person who likes and enjoys DiceMan, Damn_Smooth, and (I can't believe I'm going to admit this because sometimes I want to punch him in his fucking Canadian face and he'd probably ban me if he could) volcano? I tend to think that the reason why this board is so popular is precisely the diversity of opinion and posting style it allows, even including the bickering. It only becomes a problem when it starts to overwhelm virtually every topic. And as I've already stated, that has happened only recently for what I see to be one obvious reason. I wouldn't want the forum to be without cano's batshit insane support for everything Axl, or DS's endless vendetta against, well, everyone in Attitude, or Dice's dynamite one-liners and lol gifs, not to mention that he's generally correct about most things GNR and advice-to-lost-souls related (obviously my characterizations are biased). Can we not drop this "he should be banned, she should be banned" bullshit? You see how starting by asking "cupcakes" to be banned quickly morphed into someone chiding people for being "sarcastic"? This shit gets retarded real quick. Like SoulMonster retarded. :awesomeface:

Brilliant. I actually enjoy many of the 'problem' posters. They keep things interesting. But it does get old that no one can post a thread without the other side jumping into it with some unnecessary bullshit.

For the record HRS is an awesome poster. He's hilarious and his threads are obviously clever and completely in jest. Anyone who fails to see this should remove head from ass before posting.

Bacardi, can you explain to me why you seem so hellbent on getting certain posters banned? I understand the one. But now it feels like you're instigating. I don't get it.

I'm just fucking around with pi2loc, I wouldn't even ban him myself given the opportunity, just delete all of his off-topic "Axl is bloated and fat" posts that he makes in every single thread.

I'm pretty sure I've already explained my reasoning for wanting sailaway, DiceMan and Rusty banned from the GNR sections.

Bacardi, can you explain to me why you seem so hellbent on getting certain posters banned? I understand the one. But now it feels like you're instigating. I don't get it.

I'm just fucking around with pi2loc, I wouldn't even ban him myself given the opportunity, just delete all of his off-topic "Axl is bloated and fat" posts that he makes in every single thread.

I'm pretty sure I've already explained my reasoning for wanting sailaway, DiceMan and Rusty banned from the GNR sections.

Gotcha. Still think Rusty and Dice are good dudes who generally only attack when provoked.

And I like the "Axl is bloated and fat" comment. It's so concise, and it's in so many threads that I kinda look forward to seeing where it pops up. But that's just me.

Would you believe I'm giving Maiden a try for the first time in my life just cuz so many freaks on here love them? I don't think I can abide. Off topic, but whatever. Ban me. :takethat:

Well, one of the ideas we've been talking about is a premium section for Supporters, guaranteed hassle-free. A civilized lounge, just for fans of the new band... no bullshit, no arguing, just a place to chill and discuss the new band without the usual crew ganging up on you.

When we took over a year ago, we promised a main discussion section that would be just that. It's not working because it's there's too many people and posts in there for us to moderate closely.

The idea is that a section you had to pay to get into (and would be straight out of if you acted up) would deter trolls due to the cost of entry.

The main question I guess is... interest? We wouldn't want to launch a paid section that ended up a graveyard.

To be fair, high volt asked me to tune it down and I have.

Nobody can even discuss things in d& n without some coming up from attitude to make personal attacks and derail the thread...every time.

They don't seem to want to discuss the topic at hand as much as they seem intent on dragging each topic down to a litany of personal insults, others have noticed this as well.

It disrupts the d&n section in practically every thread.

I have been reporting such, as I have been asked to do, and attempted to contribute to the myriad of topics, but rusty,magisme and dice seem bent on infusing each topic with their attempted psychological subterfuge.

would be nice to discuss things without their agenda in every thread and topic imo.

Well, one of the ideas we've been talking about is a premium section for Supporters, guaranteed hassle-free. A civilized lounge, just for fans of the new band... no bullshit, no arguing, just a place to chill and discuss the new band without the usual crew ganging up on you. When we took over a year ago, we promised a main discussion section that would be just that. It's not working because it's there's too many people and posts in there for us to moderate closely. The idea is that a section you had to pay to get into (and would be straight out of if you acted up) would deter cupcakes due to the cost of entry. The main question I guess is... interest? We wouldn't want to launch a paid section that ended up a graveyard.

I would be most interested in contributing and belonging to this,

Could you explain a bit further? Make the premium at least 25.00 to insure that serious only are enrolling.

I am very interested in this Chris.

W.

Haven't read through 8 pages but here's my idea. Not sure if it's workable or not.

If there were some way for mods to 'tag' offending posters temporarily for being jackasses on their profiles so other mods could see how many tags -- eg. for starting idiotic threads, making continual stupid posts that are not worth reading and clutter up threads or are not on-topic, personal insults, etc -- acquire a few of these tags and then you get an automatic ban for a while. Even better if other posters could see how many times they'd been tagged -- they'd know who's who in the zoo.

at least in the main sections, it would:

a. make posters in general feel a bit more accountable

b. make cupcake-style posters curb it somewhat - big result right there!

c. let other posters know who is trolling so they don't feed them.

d. be entertaining to see the tag limit be reached incrementally like a thermometer going up and then result in a suspension or ban.

e. Allow moderators to have enough flexibility and discretion. Eg. no-one's going to whinge if a minor offence gets them a tag when say ten tags gets them a suspension.

f. Allow for a clean slate when suspended posters return - no ongoing grudges.

Edited by machinegunner

I posted this in a similar thread last October. I also pm'd it to the mods. Here it is again for what its worth.

Here are some ideas that the mods may/may not want to consider. They are guidelines from another forum I use and work really well. I am copying/pasting here. These are not my words

1: Comment on the post, not the poster.

Responding to someone's point with personal attacks, regardless of how "witty" you think they are, is not big or clever. It just comes across, at best, as being an ass and at worst a bully with a small doodah (we mean “mind” of course).

It’s much better to stay on the topic of their post, not on the person who posted it. People will respect you for that, take your opinion more seriously and you put the ball back in their court to answer your points.

Abuse is tantamount to saying "you have beaten me with your argument; I can only resort to name calling".

If someone abuses you, don’t respond in kind. Report the post and a moderator will swing by to review it. Abusing them back simply drops you to their level and will probably get you both infracted and/or banned.

2: No freedom of speech.

This is a private website. There is no "right" to freedom of speech here. We, the Admins and moderators DO want to promote discussion but FREE un-moderated discussion online turns into a screaming match between children. We believe that rules of etiquette should be applied (see below). Shouting about how we have infringed your "freedom of speech" on a privately owned website is silly. You can use blogger.com to say what YOU like, what you aren’t entitled to is access to the community we have built here without abiding by the community's rules, as decided and enforced by us.

3: Be Civil (Don't be a dick)

The internet is full of anonymous keyboard warriors being rude to each other. We don’t want that here. We're not saying you have to be super-nice to everyone and sign each post with a little heart, but we DO require that you are at least CIVIL to the humans on the other end of this intertube. Everyone is tired of the muppets online and if you feel you must be a dick to others, you aren’t welcome here.

4: Don't abuse people personally

It’s not big and it’s not clever. If you can’t convey your point without abusing someone personally then you don’t have a point to make and perhaps you should close your browser and come back when you are calmer. Not only will you have had the benefit of cooling off if something’s caused your blood to boil, you’re a lot more likely to make a far more incisive, killer point. The great joy of this platform is that you don’t have to answer something immediately; you have time to construct your point and de-construct any arguments against your point.

You either are an adult or you are aspiring to become one. This isn’t a crèche and if we have had to invoke this rule to stop you from abusing someone, and you feel like we are treating you like a child, you might want to consider why that is.

This site is for a wide variety of civil, adult discussion. Personally abusing someone is immature. Grow up.

5: Don't back seat moderate

Imagine a game of soccer where one player kept running up to the ref and saying "you should have warned that guy" "that was offside" "time is up on this game". Annoying, yes? Sitting back as a user and consistently directing the moderator like a minion is going to get you kicked off the pitch. The correct way to bring something to our attention is to report the post.

But do not abuse this feature. Report posts which clearly break the rules not just posts you don’t agree with or from people you don’t like. That’s just being a dick.

Ok, I know some of the above already exists but there is stuff in there that I think can be implemented here. The above only works if the mods follow it and have a set system of stepping in when necessary.

A lot of hassle can be avoided by mods simply entering a thread and posting with their mod hat on (posting in bold) with simple instructions to prevent the thread spiralling out of control - e.g Back on topic, Less of the insults, Don't post in this thread (in reply to specific users that are causing trouble)

Failure to obey a mod posting in thread then results in an infraction. The above also helps as a reminder to other users who are posting on the thread. I think it works better this way instead of mods PMing users behind the scenes. There is also more transparency.

Finally there should be no such things as chances. One warning, one suspension, one longer suspension, banned.

End of. No pussyfooting about.

I hope the mods can take something from this and if we all have to change our behaviour to ensure a better atmosphere then so be it.

Well, one of the ideas we've been talking about is a premium section for Supporters, guaranteed hassle-free. A civilized lounge, just for fans of the new band... no bullshit, no arguing, just a place to chill and discuss the new band without the usual crew ganging up on you.

When we took over a year ago, we promised a main discussion section that would be just that. It's not working because it's there's too many people and posts in there for us to moderate closely.

The idea is that a section you had to pay to get into (and would be straight out of if you acted up) would deter cupcakes due to the cost of entry.

The main question I guess is... interest? We wouldn't want to launch a paid section that ended up a graveyard.

No interest from me.

Guest NGOG

New forum policy - want someone banned? We take bribes. :lol:

No, really, we're discussing the level of trolling at the moment and looking at some different approaches to dealing with it. I agree that there's a small, specific group of members responsible for most topics going awry.

We're currently undertaking a one-year review, this problem is definitely featuring prominently in our discussions.

Appreciate the reply! Congrats on the year.

The idea is that a section you had to pay to get into (and would be straight out of if you acted up) would deter cupcakes due to the cost of entry.

This is exactly what the forum doesn't need. IMO. All due respect, I think it's a terrible idea. In fact, I'll promise to become a supporter if it doesn't happen.

You've got personal issues that you want someone else to take care of? Lame

I'm as tame as a kitten in D&N.

I think if people like bacardi were banned, there wouldn't be so much instigation. You bounce back and forth for both sides. Like I said, it depends on which side of the bed you wake up on that determines who you want to be pissy at.

Guest NGOG

I hope HV considers the conduct of Warchild, Rusty and The DiceMan as part of the MyGNR review.

They are not annoying in the conventional sense. Instead they've literally reached the point of intolerable. Warchild posts whacko nonsense and Rusty/Dice are the lame meme and jibes brigade.

Edited by NGOG

(I can't believe I'm going to admit this because sometimes I want to punch him in his fucking Canadian face and he'd probably ban me if he could)

I feel the love :tongue2:

Seriously people take things too seriously. In the end I know we're all GNR fans and love the current and old band (I know the cupcakes love the current band and will buy the next album as soon as it's out.)

I'd love to have a beer with all of yous.

They are not annoying in the conventional sense. Instead they've literally reached the point of intolerable. Warchild posts whacko nonsense and Rusty/Dice are the lame meme and jibes brigade.

That's what your ignore button is for. I think they should ban you for accusing everyone of being from GNFNR when you dislike what they post. Or I can just laugh it off and ignore the paranoid dramatic stuff.

(I can't believe I'm going to admit this because sometimes I want to punch him in his fucking Canadian face and he'd probably ban me if he could)

I feel the love :tongue2:

Seriously people take things too seriously. In the end I know we're all GNR fans and love the current and old band (I know the cupcakes love the current band and will buy the next album as soon as it's out.)

I'd love to have a beer with all of yous.

:lol::hug:

I'm sure you and I will bash heads again soon, but it's ultimately in good fun. I'll call you a nutter or a worshiper and you'll call me bitter or a non-fan, and everything will be right in the mygnrforum world.

If you're ever in New England, I'll buy you that beer. If I head to the great white North, I'll make you buy me one.

And of course you're going to buy the new album if it comes out. Why did you feel like you had to point that out? :shades:

Edit: Rusty and Dice are getting a raw deal by some people in this thread.

Edited by magisme