Sympathy for the Devil--opinions?

Vincent Vega

Guest bellastar2355

I understand why Slash was pissed, but I can't deny how awesome the call and response solo sounds. Great cover.

He was even pissed at Tom Cruise lol

Great cover. Incredible drumming.

GNR made a good song into a great one.

The Stones original is incredible. The Stones original is iconic. The Stones original is of a, 60s idealism in absolute meltdown. Jagger speaks for his era. The beats echo throughout the spine. Richards lays down one of the most iconic solos ever. The whole recording is a masterpiece.

GN'R's version is just a crappy cover recorded when the band were in freefall - Axl couldn't even be bothered to show up on time . The version is an insult to The Rolling Stones.

Agreed.

Might be my least favorite GnR recording of all time.

They totally missed the essence of what the song is.

Terrible cover.

Guest cbgnr666

I heard this on the radio on the way home last night.Guns version is wayyyyyyyyy better then the stones original.Sorry but Axl was born to sing this.

Edited by cbgnr666

The Stones original is incredible. The Stones original is iconic. The Stones original is of a, 60s idealism in absolute meltdown. Jagger speaks for his era. The beats echo throughout the spine. Richards lays down one of the most iconic solos ever. The whole recording is a masterpiece.

GN'R's version is just a crappy cover recorded when the band were in freefall - Axl couldn't even be bothered to show up on time . The version is an insult to The Rolling Stones.

Agreed.

Terrible cover.

Terrible? A little dramatic? Axl sounds amazing so does the band.

Guest cbgnr666

Axl sounds like he could be the devil while jagger sounds like my uncle Bob at karaoke.

Edited by cbgnr666

huh. Coulda sworn it came out in Fall 94, not December. Wasn't the movie released in summer or fall 94? I'm too lazy to look it up.

I thought it was OK. But at the time I was sick as shit of covers cause TSI? had just come out. To be honest, I didn't play it that much. I much preferred Gilby's cover of Dead Flowers with Axl on background vocals.

The best cover of Sympathy is hands down Jane's Addiction. They fucking OWN that song, better than the original. The one on their first album, not the newer version from Sons of Anarchy. That one kinda sucks.

That's the "ghost riders" version, prob. a trade off for Dave on the show. The original was okay, I wish they had a soundboard of the Camp Freddy one out.

Agreed.

Terrible cover.

Terrible? A little dramatic? Axl sounds amazing so does the band.

Yes Volcano. It is terrible. One of the only GnR songs that I will turn off if it comes on the radio. I actually cringe when I hear it - that's how bad it is.

See, lil fella, music is subjective. I'm sure I love songs that you think are pure crap. And vice versa.

The funny thing about this song is that you probably only like it because Slash was unhappy with how it turned out. Whereas myself, and most logically thinking people, judge a song purely by how it sounds to our ears, how it touches our heart/soul, and if it makes our foot tap or not. You, on the other hand, base your musical selection solely based on whether it is Axl Rose or Slash playing on the song. Sure, that is shallow and weird, but whatever floats your boat.

SFTD, Get In The Ring, Chinese Democracy, Live and Let Die, You Aint The First, Double Talking Jive, Shotgun Blues and My World.........all, imo, terrible GnR songs. See, it's OK to be a die-hard fan of a band and not love and praise and worship every move or song that the band does.

I just do not understand how any one can possibly pick the cover over the original. I bet even Axl would pick the original - we know Slash hates the thing. The original is one of the greatest and most iconic recordings in the history of rock n' roll (as captured by Godard).

GN'R's cover? Well they play it fairly straight, except, they obviously faced the same dilemna the Stones did in 1968, the problem of where do you put the guitars? SFTD does not have obvious room for guitars. Slash/GN'R just fleshes the whole song out with chords. It was not a very inspired decision. The better solution would have been to do what The Stones do live and do the whole, weaving thing. But, who could Slash weave with without Izzy - and now that Axl had decided to sack Gilby? Tobias?

And then you have the thing with the Tobias dub which produces a rather weak affect. Richards screams decisiveness. Richard's solo was recorded on an acoustic on a cassette recorder and fed through the studio.

It would be decent if it wasn't a cover of Symapthy for the Devil.

I know that doesn't really make much sense but I think the drumming is cool, Slash sounds good and Axl's vocals in the second half are pretty nuts, but the moments where they have to deal with the song itself end up sounding a bit off and just not right. I think the first half is a bit of a mess. There's no real intricacy or style to it. It sounds really unnatural.

After the first couple of minutes when you're just listening to Slash rip and Axl yelling that's always good to hear but by that point it's pretty much standard GNR territory.