Was Slash overreacting and being unfair...

TombRaider

Read thread.  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

...when he criticized Axl for writing all the ballads and love longs that made it to the GnR albums?

We all know Slash was/is not into love songs or ballads and I seem to remember him saying in his official autobiography that he thought those songs were not really what he wanted GnR to be doing.

I personally don't have a problem with Don't Cry, November Rain, Estranged or any of the other GnR songs that show Axl's romanticism or more sensitive side. If anything, I think those songs are amazing, great and part of the GnR legacy, a huge part of their legacy.

Was Slash being unfair when he said that? I mean, he didn't have to like those songs, but you gotta give credit where credit is due.

GnR wouldn't be the same without those songs, imho.

Edited by TombRaider

Many of Slash's iconic guitar parts are from Guns n Roses ballads. Him saying that is kind of hypocritical, but his words were most likely twisted because of the Slash vs Axl thing the media loves to hype up.

He's allowed to not like them. I don't think he's overreacting. I'm sure he enjoys them but it sounds completely like him to say he didn't think it was the right direction. Thats his way of saying he prefers rockier stuff. I don't think there's anything wrong with what he said and I'm sure the other old band members wouldn't disagree.

He's allowed to not like them. I don't think he's overreacting. I'm sure he enjoys them but it sounds completely like him to say he didn't think it was the right direction. Thats his way of saying he prefers rockier stuff. I don't think there's anything wrong with what he said and I'm sure the other old band members wouldn't disagree.

Exactly.

I think the level of grandiosity is what he didn't really like about Axl's songs, it was all unnecessary to him. I think he says something along those lines in book. All the extra layers on LALD and NR and stuff... Then there was the 'big band' '92 tour, which probably soured his feelings for those songs even more so.

...when he criticized Axl for writing all the ballads and love longs that made it to the GnR albums?

We all know Slash was/is not into love songs or ballads and I seem to remember him saying in his official autobiography that he thought those songs were not really what he wanted GnR to be doing.

I personally don't have a problem with Don't Cry, November Rain, Estranged or any of the other GnR songs that show Axl's romanticism or more sensitive side. If anything, I think those songs are amazing, great and part of the GnR legacy, a huge part of their legacy.

Was Slash being unfair when he said that? I mean, he didn't have to like those songs, but you gotta give credit where credit is due.

How can Slash "unfair" in this case? It's just his personal opinion, that's all.

PS: Nowadays i really needed the right mood to listen the Axl ballads... (they're great, epic songs, but i'm sick and tired a bit...)

his best solo is in NR and he knows it. he still uses that NR picture. it's an iconic slash moment. how can you not like your best work?

i disagree

SCOM is far more memorable from the aspect of Slash solos

Even the Estranged solo parts are better

imo

Slash is an idiot. Is it possible for idiots to overreact and be unfair, or do they simply not know any better? One of life's great questions. :shrugs:

Then if we started to scan who are the bigger douche (Axl or Slash) Axl wins waaay more miles ahead... (and i think both of them are assholes at that time)

I mean, Slash just voiced his opinion, this is just his opinion so it's not a big deal

Is Slash really an idiot because of this?

I think you're the idiot if you think this way...

dork

Edited by Crash Diet

How can Slash "unfair" in this case? It's just his personal opinion, that's all.

PS: Nowadays i really needed the right mood to listen the Axl ballads... (they're great, epic songs, but i'm sick and tired a bit...)

his best solo is in NR and he knows it. he still uses that NR picture. it's an iconic slash moment. how can you not like your best work?

i disagree

imo

Slash is an idiot. Is it possible for idiots to overreact and be unfair, or do they simply not know any better? One of life's great questions. :shrugs:

Then if we started to scan who are the bigger douche (Axl or Slash) Axl wins waaay more miles ahead... (and i think both of them are assholes at that time)

I mean, Slash just voiced his opinion, this is just his opinion so it's not a big deal

dork

i disagree

imo

dork

Take your butthurt little ass back to English class. Nobody said anything about douches but you, and nobody cares which brand you prefer. Stick to talking about what you know about, which should stop you from posting completely. Slash is an idiot because he does and says things without ever planning ahead for the consequences, which often leads to him backtracking and trying to save face. You're an idiot because you completely fail to understand that. :shrugs:

I always found it a bit odd as the guy has played with and on all sorts of cheesy crap (Fergie; Blackstreet; P Diddy) yet he was not very open minded when it came to Guns N' Roses. I also think he was just playing up to a character type with the whole, ''I dislike SCOM'', thing. I will tell you the reason for that. The reason is, Slash had read interviews with Joe Perry in the rock mags of the 70s, in which Perry stated ''he hated Dream On'', so Slash was juist copying this whole, macho anti-ballad guitarist thing.

Why would he hate the song that put them out there? that'd be a very weird reason to dislike any song, actually. Sorta like Radiohead, refusing to play Creep... :rofl-lol: ... idiots...

No. He hated it because Gn'R was represented by that song and being honest, a "happy song" wasn't what Slash wanted to be related with. Had it been WTTJ, he wouldn't have hated it IMO.

I think he was just pretending to hate scom to pose for the guitar magazines and look like the macho rock n' roller a la Joe Perry. It is bullshit, Slash hating SCOM. How can you hate a song yet deliver such a spell binding solo? Marc says 'slash lies to make himself look cool'. It is just another example of that.

I always thought his dislike for NR, estranged and Don't Cry stemmed from the over the top video's for the songs as well as performing them live with the orchestra. Though I'm not sure this is the case.

And in his auotbiography he stated he liked the UYI albums better stripped down without all the orchestration in the final production.

This. I went ahead and voted yes, but I will put an asterisk by that. I do think Slash's intention was just saying that he felt the ballads were going away from the "heart" of Guns N' Roses and were not would he would have preferred to play under the Gn'R name. I do not think he was necessarily saying they were bad songs. Also, the fact that he played brilliantly on them and played them hundreds of times live means he must see some value in them.