Iron Maiden fans: Is the X Factor that bad?

TombRaider

I personally love it. I hate the fact that it gets so much hate. But the way I see it, it's on a par with Piece of Mind and Seventh Son, even if Bruce was not involved and even if the songs are dark. Granted, it's very different from anything Maiden had done before or has done since, and it does need some getting used to, but like any acquired taste, it's pretty fricking awesome, at least in my book.

any thoughts?

I personally love it. I hate the fact that it gets so much hate. But the way I see it, it's on a par with Piece of Mind and Seventh Son, even if Bruce was not involved and even if the songs are dark. Granted, it's very different from anything Maiden had done before or has done since, and it does need some getting used to, but like any acquired taste, it's pretty fricking awesome, at least in my book.

any thoughts?

love the album, it is in my top 5 maiden albums. glad to see someone else on here shares the same view of the album i do.

the darker atmosphere and vibe of the album is a great change up for maiden. harris was going through some dark and hard times and the music reflects that, i think bailey's voice is a perfect fit for the atmosphere. even though i love bruce i dont think his vocals could have done the album justice IMO.

It's not as bad as some people make it out to be, but it's way too dark for my tastes. Only albums I prefer The X Factor to are No Prayer and Virtual XI. I don't mind Blaze on it really, the music itself just doesn't do anything for me.

Sign Of The Cross is one of my absolute favorites though.

I think it was with X Factor when they stopped using Derek Riggs. Does anyone know why they do not use Riggs now as Maiden's recent album covers have all been digital monstrosities.

Final Frontier's cover is awesome! Watchatalkinbout?! But yeah... Dance of Death and Matter of Life and Death are both horrible. He did do the cover for Somewhere Back In Time, though.

It is as bad as people say it is. The two Blaze albums are impossibly bad, IMO. I mean... his voice is awful.

That's the problem I had.

Was there really no one better around at the time??

Joey Belladonna was actually the band's favorite choice for a replacement in 1993 since he'd just been fired from Anthrax also. The story goes that Nicko and Dave and Janick all wanted Joey, but Steve absolutely refused to have anyone in the band that wasn't British. Steve's the boss, so what he says goes :shrugs:

Seeing as Joey is my favorite singer and Maiden are my favorite band, needless to say I'd be very interested to hear what they could've done together!

I like the traditional drawn ones. Maiden in the 80s had some of the greatest album covers. Powerslave is probably my favourite.

Somewhere In Time is absolutely my favorite.

It is as bad as people say it is. The two Blaze albums are impossibly bad, IMO. I mean... his voice is awful.

Joey Belladonna was actually the band's favorite choice for a replacement in 1993 since he'd just been fired from Anthrax also. The story goes that Nicko and Dave and Janick all wanted Joey, but Steve absolutely refused to have anyone in the band that wasn't British. Steve's the boss, so what he says goes :shrugs:

Seeing as Joey is my favorite singer and Maiden are my favorite band, needless to say I'd be very interested to hear what they could've done together!

I like the traditional drawn ones. Maiden in the 80s had some of the greatest album covers. Powerslave is probably my favourite.

I love that original A Real Dead One cover! Somewhere in Time is also really cool. There are a few Derek Riggs covers I dislike though... Beast Over Hammersmith has a very poorly drawn Eddie, for example.

That's not what the official biography says.

That's not what the official biography says.

Which biography, the Mick Wall one? Honestly don't remember what it said about Blaze. All I know is I read an interview with Nicko from the 90's where he said that. I asked Joey about it once and he said he did audition for Maiden but he never heard anything past the audition :shrugs: