Honest answers. What was your reaction when you first heard UYI 1 & 2?

Ric Nightingale

I'll be brutally honest I was massively disappointed with UYI 1, less so with UYI 2 as I thought it had far better songs. As a 14 year old boy back in 1991 I was confused by the lack of focus and glossy production compared to AFD and Lies. Turns out there were great songs on both UYI though, but patience was something I struggled with in the early 90's.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was disappointed with the change in direction, or lack of direction, the songs on the UYIs signalled. It was all too sprawling, too incoherent, too polished, and it broke down the image I had of GN'R as a sleazy, gritty rock band. At the same time there were great songs to be found on those two records. The quality was there, but it didn't feel like a band anymore. It felt like many bands.

I discovered GnR with the UYI albums, back in 92 I think, so I couldn't compare the new songs to the AFD sound or to anything they'd done before. I remember being enthralled by the music. I loved everything about those albums and I still do. To me, they're almost perfect. UY2 is my favorite as I've said before. I was a teenager back then and I thought there was nothing cooler than Slash and Axl. Then I saw the Tokio video and I was a fan for life.

However, I guess if I'd discovered the band with AFD, I'd have been perplexed because of their change in sound. But I'd still have been able to appreciate the gems to be found on the UYI albums, namely November Rain and Estranged, to name a few, because I'm a very sentimental person. That's just the way I am. And because of that, I can appreciate the ballads written by Axl without a problem.

The only track I can't stand or listen to, like ever, is My World.

I really liked UYI II, but thought (and still think) that UYI I sucked. that whole album is full of filler.

Best tracks on UYI 1: Live And Let Die, Don't Cry, November Rain, Dead Horse & Coma. Everything else was pretty B side really. UYI 2 was far better!
So you don't like AFD type songs on 1

I like UYI I better than II. Its always been my fav of the two ever since their release. But I love them both. Locomotive isn't one of my favs just as Bad Apples is one of my favs while its not for other people.

Love love love Back Off Bitch. Actually been singing that one around the house lately. Lol

Edited by SweetRose