Best Aerosmith album?

Vincent Vega

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

old school get your wings for me. It doesn't have the hits that rocks and toys does, but I think it is a better, more complete album Honestly it is probably the only aerosmith album that I like every song on it.

Newer stuff, has to be get a grip for me. IMO aerosmith were trying sound like gnr on that album, and it worked. amazing is like november rain, eat the rich is like jungle, living on the edge is like paradise city, crying is like dont cry, and so on and so fourth. IMO aerosmith have always tried to mimic other bands. Toys and rocks were them trying to be like zeppelin, and perminate vacation and pump were them trying to be like motley crue or bon jovi, and get a grip is them trying to be like gnr. But it works for me.

Hi Mike. I think they used a lot of overdubs on Get Your Wings with Alice Cooper's guitarists - Wagner and Hunter or something. To find that out later kind of takes a way from it although the results are pleasing enough. But it doesn't come together as with Toys In The Attic - you can hear that they had discovered their own sound more difiningly by them. And i can't keep the riffs eg. like Adam's Apple, out of my head...
I actually really like all asmith albums up to nine lives, including done with mirrors, rock in a hard place, and night in the ruts. But get your wings is my personal fav. Do you have any proof to back up your claims? I have never heard of anyone other than the obvious playing any guitars.

It is well known that they played on Train Kept A Rollin' and others around that period. -- and that's the confusing thing that detracts from my enjoyment of it, you don't who is playing what. It's already hard to know whether it's Joe Perry or Brad Whitford sometimes.

Cooper's guitarists played on "Train Kept A' Rollin'" and "Same Old Song and Dance."

Does anyoone know why they played on it? I checked out wiki and sure enough its true. That fucking sucks man, lost respect for the band and the album because of this.

Perry and Whitford have always been really over rated imo. Sometimes I think I could play better solos on most of their songs than perry does. They are just very generic most of the time. To be fair they do have some really good ones also though. Steven Tyler clearly made that band imo.

old school get your wings for me. It doesn't have the hits that rocks and toys does, but I think it is a better, more complete album Honestly it is probably the only aerosmith album that I like every song on it.

Newer stuff, has to be get a grip for me. IMO aerosmith were trying sound like gnr on that album, and it worked. amazing is like november rain, eat the rich is like jungle, living on the edge is like paradise city, crying is like dont cry, and so on and so fourth. IMO aerosmith have always tried to mimic other bands. Toys and rocks were them trying to be like zeppelin, and perminate vacation and pump were them trying to be like motley crue or bon jovi, and get a grip is them trying to be like gnr. But it works for me.

Hi Mike. I think they used a lot of overdubs on Get Your Wings with Alice Cooper's guitarists - Wagner and Hunter or something. To find that out later kind of takes a way from it although the results are pleasing enough. But it doesn't come together as with Toys In The Attic - you can hear that they had discovered their own sound more difiningly by them. And i can't keep the riffs eg. like Adam's Apple, out of my head...
I actually really like all asmith albums up to nine lives, including done with mirrors, rock in a hard place, and night in the ruts. But get your wings is my personal fav. Do you have any proof to back up your claims? I have never heard of anyone other than the obvious playing any guitars.

It is well known that they played on Train Kept A Rollin' and others around that period. -- and that's the confusing thing that detracts from my enjoyment of it, you don't who is playing what. It's already hard to know whether it's Joe Perry or Brad Whitford sometimes.

Cooper's guitarists played on "Train Kept A' Rollin'" and "Same Old Song and Dance."

Does anyoone know why they played on it? I checked out wiki and sure enough its true. That fucking sucks man, lost respect for the band and the album because of this.

Perry and Whitford have always been really over rated imo. Sometimes I think I could play better solos on most of their songs than perry does. They are just very generic most of the time. To be fair they do have some really good ones also though. Steven Tyler clearly made that band imo.

I'm pretty sure that it was Jack Douglas's call. Who knows if the band was even aware of it at the time.

What do true Aerosmith fans, not casual fans, think about Get a Grip?

I like it.

That said, the three b-sides from that album, "Head First", "Can't Stop Messin", and "Don't Stop" are better than at least three of the album cuts.

Make those swaps, and we're talking about an album that rivals "Pump"

I'm asking because I've read reviews written by fans of the older albums and they say Get a Grip is too commercial, too MTV friendly and that it is not on a par with other albums they've released. I know Get a Grip was heavily supported by MTV back in the day and I guess those videos they made with Steven's daughter and Alicia Silverstone helped the band get even more fans, people who had no idea who they were before Get a Grip came out. But I can see why someone would dislike those radio-friendly songs.

I'm pretty sure perry and whitford knew it wasn't their playing, most musicians can recognize their own playing.

To be fair, get your wings was a make or break album for them. Their first album didn't do very good initially. I think there were even rumors of the band being dropped from the label if it wasn't a hit. Which it really wasn't a huge hit, but it did do better. Toys was the album that made aerosmith big. The older catalogue took off after it. Dream on was even rereleased as a single.

I'm asking because I've read reviews written by fans of the older albums and they say Get a Grip is too commercial, too MTV friendly and that it is not on a par with other albums they've released. I know Get a Grip was heavily supported by MTV back in the day and I guess those videos they made with Steven's daughter and Alicia Silverstone helped the band get even more fans, people who had no idea who they were before Get a Grip came out. But I can see why someone would dislike those radio-friendly songs.

I really like get a grip. I think it gets a bad rap. Only done with mirrors is more classic rock sounding (of their later stuff). PV and Pump are to 80's rock sounding imo. Get a grip may have been radio friendly, but its because it has a lot of really good songs. livin on the edge, cryin, crazy, amazing, eat the rich, shut up and dance, and others are good songs. I still like them to this day.

I'm pretty sure perry and whitford knew it wasn't their playing, most musicians can recognize their own playing.

To be fair, get your wings was a make or break album for them. Their first album didn't do very good initially. I think there were even rumors of the band being dropped from the label if it wasn't a hit. Which it really wasn't a huge hit, but it did do better. Toys was the album that made aerosmith big. The older catalogue took off after it. Dream on was even rereleased as a single.

I'm sure that they knew it wasn't their playing, I more so meant that maybe they didn't know that the overdubs were made until after the album was pressed and ready to be released.

What do true Aerosmith fans, not casual fans, think about Get a Grip?

Define true fans?

On second thought, don't. They keep trying to do that in the main section and they all come across as morons.

true gnr fans? Ya thats a tuff one at this juncture. A Love of the classic band is mandatory imo, but after that it gets sticky. The fans that came in with bucket, robin, and bbf or harder for me to figure out, especially if they don't even like the old band. But imo a true gnr fan loves everything 87~93.

Well, maybe true fans is not the right way to say it. Sorry, language barrier here. I mean, people who know their whole discography, not just the hits. Those who've followed the band for many years and not just for a couple of months or only when their videos dominated MTV. that's what I mean, I guess. people who really love Aerosmith. Not casual fans who only have Crazy and I dont wanna miss a thing on their iPod

Edited by TombRaider

I know what you mean, but we all start somewhere right? Once upon a time I was a 13 year old little shit face buying pandora's box.

But no a true fan doesn't just have 2 or 3 songs on their ipod, that's at best a casual fan.

I consider myself a true fan of a few different bands, aerosmith being one of them, and I gotta be honest, I checked out after nine lives. I really enjoy all of their albums up to and including nine lives, but the stuff after that is just crap imo. Even Nine Lives has its fair share of crap on it. My fav tracks on it are kiss your past goodbye and full circle, neither were singles to my knowledge.

Yes, we all have to start somewhere. I remember when the only GnR songs I'd ever listened to were Don't Cry and KOHD.

I like Get a Grip. I don't mind admitting I didn't even know who they were before Livin' on the Edge became popular in the 90's. I thought they were a new band. :shrugs:

The first album you ever listen to of any given band is usually your favorite. That is why I really like Get a Grip. It reminds me of a great time to be a music fan, the 90's. Of course, I've also listened to their back catalogue and I know they have better albums. But Get a Grip will always be my favorite, simply because it was my first.

It always baffles me when I see fans praise GAG and then slate Nine Lives, which IMO is the far superior of the two.

I rate Hole In My Soul amongst Aerosmith's finest ballads, and it pisses all over Crazy, Cryin' and Amazing. Ain't That A Bitch and The Farm are both standouts and I also love the punk sensibilities of Crash. Falling In Love (Is Hard On The Knees), Fallen Angels and the title track are also strong numbers.

On GAG, Eat The Rich is the strongest cut and it's all downhill from there. I quite enjoy some of the tracks, but it's a very calculated attempt to win over the GNR early 90s rock demographic. Nine Lives seems less calculated and more true to Aerosmith.

Edited by Towelie

get a grip is aerosmiths gnr album, I completly agree. But aerosmith are the one band that can actually pull that off. What towlie said about nine lives being more of a true aerosmith record is complete and udder nonscense. Tell me how pink, hole in my soul, or falling in love sound anything like 70's aerosmith? That was the real aerosmith. If anything nine lives was the beginning of the band going completly pop. Look at what followed nine live, I don't want to miss a thing and jaded. They don't sound anything like 70's aerosmith at that point. Nine Lives is where that change began.

get a grip is aerosmiths gnr album, I completly agree. But aerosmith are the one band that can actually pull that off. What towlie said about nine lives being more of a true aerosmith record is complete and udder nonscense. Tell me how pink, hole in my soul, or falling in love sound anything like 70's aerosmith? That was the real aerosmith. If anything nine lives was the beginning of the band going completly pop. Look at what followed nine live, I don't want to miss a thing and jaded. They don't sound anything like 70's aerosmith at that point. Nine Lives is where that change began.

I didn't say it sounded like 70s Aerosmith, but it certainly sounds less contrived than GAG and it just has better songs overall IMO.

I don't agree that Nine Lives marked the beginning of the band going "completely pop" - I personally don't believe they ever did, not completely anyway. But if we were to discuss which Aerosmith album is the biggest sell-out, the huge number of tailored-for-radio saccharin ballads alone would point to GAG, over Nine Lives.

Edited by Towelie

I didn't say it sounded like 70s Aerosmith, but it certainly sounds less contrived than GAG and it just has better songs overall IMO.

I don't agree that Nine Lives marked the beginning of the band going "completely pop" - I personally don't believe they ever did, not completely anyway. But if we were to discuss which Aerosmith album is the biggest sell-out, the huge number of tailored-for-radio saccharin ballads alone would point to GAG, over Nine Lives.

Oh come on, Look at all the cheesy little pop tunes on nine lives. The only reason why get a grip provided more radio and mtv hits was because the songs were better. Falling in love is arguably the worst aerosmith song ever. Just plain terrible. At least songs like dude looks like a lady, crazy, love in an elevator, and so on were good songs. Falling in love is just plain dumb and cheesy imo. And pink was the most popish song they did since angel. But at least angel was during the hey day of the power ballad age.

If you like Nine Lives better, good for you. I never said it was a bad album, I just feel very strongly that get a grip is the better album. Like I said before, yes it is aerosmith's gnr influenced album, but they pulled it off. Classic aerosmith influenced gnr, so it's not a big stretch for aerosmith to sound like gnr, if anything its the band going back to their roots.

My final point on this; living on the edge, eat the rich, and parts of amazing and cryin rock harder than anything on nine lives. And songs like pink and falling in love are softer than anything on get a grip. It is the better rock and roll album, period. If you were arguing for pump, than we might have a legitimate discussion, but not nine lives.