Best Aerosmith album?

Vincent Vega

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get a grip is aerosmiths gnr album, I completly agree. But aerosmith are the one band that can actually pull that off. What towlie said about nine lives being more of a true aerosmith record is complete and udder nonscense. Tell me how pink, hole in my soul, or falling in love sound anything like 70's aerosmith? That was the real aerosmith. If anything nine lives was the beginning of the band going completly pop. Look at what followed nine live, I don't want to miss a thing and jaded. They don't sound anything like 70's aerosmith at that point. Nine Lives is where that change began.

I didn't say it sounded like 70s Aerosmith, but it certainly sounds less contrived than GAG and it just has better songs overall IMO.

I don't agree that Nine Lives marked the beginning of the band going "completely pop" - I personally don't believe they ever did, not completely anyway. But if we were to discuss which Aerosmith album is the biggest sell-out, the huge number of tailored-for-radio saccharin ballads alone would point to GAG, over Nine Lives.

Oh come on, Look at all the cheesy little pop tunes on nine lives. The only reason why get a grip provided more radio and mtv hits was because the songs were better. Falling in love is arguably the worst aerosmith song ever. Just plain terrible. At least songs like dude looks like a lady, crazy, love in an elevator, and so on were good songs. Falling in love is just plain dumb and cheesy imo. And pink was the most popish song they did since angel. But at least angel was during the hey day of the power ballad age.

If you like Nine Lives better, good for you. I never said it was a bad album, I just feel very strongly that get a grip is the better album. Like I said before, yes it is aerosmith's gnr influenced album, but they pulled it off. Classic aerosmith influenced gnr, so it's not a big stretch for aerosmith to sound like gnr, if anything its the band going back to their roots.

My final point on this; living on the edge, eat the rich, and parts of amazing and cryin rock harder than anything on nine lives. And songs like pink and falling in love are softer than anything on get a grip. It is the better rock and roll album, period. If you were arguing for pump, than we might have a legitimate discussion, but not nine lives.

Think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this mate.

To me, stuff like The Farm, Ain't That A Bitch, Hole In My Soul, Crash trounces 90% of GAG.

Gotta Love It, Shut Up And Dance, Line Up, Walk On Down... there's just so much throwaway filler on that album. Even the worst songs on Nine Lives aren't THAT bad.

Edited by Towelie

I'm more embarrassed for them getting their asses kicked by the Bee Gees and singing on stage with N'Sync. It took Tyler that long to do a solo album, but to a lot of people, the closest thing to solo Tyler was the Dufay/Crespo era. It's going to get compared to Jagger's solo albums, and I think Tyler's going to do fine as far as that goes.

They put on a good show, though. Any opinions on their supporting acts?

I'm more embarrassed for them getting their asses kicked by the Bee Gees and singing on stage with N'Sync. It took Tyler that long to do a solo album, but to a lot of people, the closest thing to solo Tyler was the Dufay/Crespo era. It's going to get compared to Jagger's solo albums, and I think Tyler's going to do fine as far as that goes.

Tyler's apparently going to do a solo album early next year and then jump right back in to a new Aerosmith album. I have to assume that a Tyler solo album is going to sound pretty much like this:

I saw aerosmith back in 98 or 99, right after I don't wanna miss a thing was released. It is the only concert I have ever been to where people were slow dancing in the stands. Maybe some liked it, but it was very un rock n roll imo. The only concert moment that was worse (of the shows I attended) was detroit in 02' when axl throws the mic up in the air and walks off of the stage during knockin on heavens door. But at least that was a memorable axl moment. Watching people slow dance was just plain uncool. That is another reason why I stopped caring about that band anymore.

On a side note, I have the original cover of the nine lives cd, bought it the day it was released. Is it worth any money?

I saw aerosmith back in 98 or 99, right after I don't wanna miss a thing was released. It is the only concert I have ever been to where people were slow dancing in the stands. Maybe some liked it, but it was very un rock n roll imo. The only concert moment that was worse (of the shows I attended) was detroit in 02' when axl throws the mic up in the air and walks off of the stage during knockin on heavens door. But at least that was a memorable axl moment. Watching people slow dance was just plain uncool. That is another reason why I stopped caring about that band anymore.

On a side note, I have the original cover of the nine lives cd, bought it the day it was released. Is it worth any money?

I have it too. I still see it in used CD stores now an then, so I don't think it's as rare as the band makes it out to be.

I think Get a Grip was the last in a trilogy of Bruce Fairbarn produced albums. So PV and Pump are the other two. They really cemented the late 80s comeback. They found a new audience. 9 Lives is also very good. Dont want to moss a thing is like the pinnacle of the comeback but its on a movie soundtrack.

Edited by wasted

I like a lot of stuff on Get AGrip (nice udder ref, btw, Mike) well enough but it's when in certain songs they got a bit too formulaic, Crazy, Crying, etc...if that criticism is to be held against their prior Geffen albums. And I'm baffled as to why they didn't include this great outtake track -- Head First:

Edited by machinegunner

I like a lot of stuff on Get AGrip (nice udder ref, btw, Mike) well enough but it's when in certain songs they got a bit too formulaic, Crazy, Crying, etc...if that criticism is to be held against their prior Geffen albums. And I'm baffled as to why they didn't include this great outtake track -- Head First:

"Head First" was a b-side as were "Don't Stop" and "Can't Stop Messin'" Edited by The Real McCoy

"Head First" was a b-side as were "Don't Stop" and "Can't Stop Messin'"

GAG had quite a few good outtake tracks included on singles etc. I remember buying the Living On The Edge cd single here and it had Don't Stop - that wasn't a bad track. The Eat The Rich single had Head First on it, which blew it away... would have been a great lead off single instead of ETR (never really liked that track) and undoubtably it would have made GAG a better album. Can't Stop Messin' was included in the Australian version of GAG. There's also an alternative mix of Shut Up And Dance somewhere on some Get A Grip era cd single, it sounded better imo - particularly the dirtier guitars... Also, Amazing (Orchestral version) was quite good.

Edited by machinegunner