Considering everything that's happened, do you think Slash was right about the need to go back to their roots and to being a classic hard rock band?

TombRaider

Was he right?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I do not think Slash was right. I do however believe they would have eventually gravitated back to AFD at some point. No artist wants to remake the same sound over and over. Well, other than ACDC I guess. I also think Slash's Snakepit record Five O'clock somewhere as the real beginning of the end, between Slash and Axl. Info I never knew about Slash point blank stating lyrics were written about Axl on that record were pretty permanently damaging. How does Axl work past that? And I know, how could Slash work past the stuff the angered him about Axl? Like I've always thought. It was a two way street. One was out of his mind on drugs, the other just plain out of his mind. Bad, bad combo. But I think if Slash woulda just done Axls thing, they woulda came back to the roots of the band eventually. And we'd likely have 3 or 4 more classic lineup records on hand already. Just my opiniun.

Edited by ll_tj1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slash wanted GNR to compete against nickleback lol

Why is that a LOL comment?

Commercially speaking, they were probably the top rock band of the 00's. Whether or not you liked them, they were absolutely huge.

And Slash wasn't in GnR when Nickleback was popular, so your comment really doesn't make sense.

I think the Slash/Duff/Izzy/Axl line-up could have competed with Nickleback. Maybe not been as popular, but they would have been pretty darn close.

Unfortunately, since taking over GnR on his own, Axl hasn't even been in the same breath as Nickleback in terms of success. Sad, but true.

All I know is that if everyone in the band had equal ownership in the Guns N' Roses name, Axl would have got voted out of the band like Steven Adler was. Then he probably would have lightened up like Steven Tyler did when Aerosmith kicked him out of the band and came back.

Instead we got Axl's shit show for 20 years.

Edited by TheSeeker

Slash wanted GNR to compete against nickleback lol

Why is that a LOL comment?

Commercially speaking, they were probably the top rock band of the 00's. Whether or not you liked them, they were absolutely huge.

And Slash wasn't in GnR when Nickleback was popular, so your comment really doesn't make sense.

I think the Slash/Duff/Izzy/Axl line-up could have competed with Nickleback. Maybe not been as popular, but they would have been pretty darn close.

Unfortunately, since taking over GnR on his own, Axl hasn't even been in the same breath as Nickleback in terms of success. Sad, but true.

I meant that it was the direction that he wanted to go. I'm glad that never happened.

Chin Dem was a step to take, to me, it suceeded once again.

No. CD is shit and Axl failed with his vision of GNR.

If you choose to look at it that way, then so did Slash's vision of GNR. Cause that's what Snakepit, VR and his solo stuff has been right? I liked all of it, but to compare any of it to AFD and Illusions is silly. In that manner they both failed.

If you choose to look at it that way, then so did Slash's vision of GNR. Cause that's what Snakepit, VR and his solo stuff has been right? I liked all of it, but to compare any of it to AFD and Illusions is silly. In that manner they both failed.

No, because Slash never toured that material under the GNR name/brand. Several songs from Slash post-GNR material could have been awesome GNR songs with Axl's input.

No, because Slash never toured that material under the GNR name/brand. Several songs from Slash post-GNR material could have been awesome GNR songs with Axl's input.
Not saying he ever used the GNR name, but he most certainly uses the GNR brand. And he should. They all should. I'm saying its fair to say that the songs Slash has put out since leaving GNR can be associated to what vision he held for GNR. Assuming he's releasing what he feels is his best material. Wouldn't you agree that this is safe to say? Edited by ll_tj1

Not saying he ever used the GNR name, but he most certainly uses the GNR brand. And he should. They all should. I'm saying its fair to say that the songs Slash has put out since leaving GNR can be associated to what vision he held for GNR. Assuming he's releasing what he feels is his best material. Wouldn't you agree that this is safe to say?

Well, but like I said, several songs could have been awesome GNR songs with Axl's input. We cannot judge the finished product by saying "it doesn't sound good" 'cause Axl would have changed or modified that -- or not. Who knows.

We're all assuming here.

No basically bcos Slashs brand of hard rock did not sell that well. If he was right the music would do the talking. Axl on the other hand knew he was fucked but had to find a way to carry on. Eventually he found way to keep GNR going and gave us a great album and great shows but never going to be that same band of brothers. It's a different ship of pirates.

I wouldn't call them petty, but that'd require a different thread.

They did not like what GNR became and bailed. It's not thread worthy.

So your saying AFD didnt sell well? Xause thats slash's brand of rnr

I am and will be a a giant GNR fan till I die, Appetite, UYI 1 AND 2 , LIES, are what gNr is all about . Chineses democracy is a joke to anybody that was a teenager when GNR was the worlds most dangerous band, Axl had his vision and it sucks , sorry but the truth hurts, Axl cost us fans decades of new music from the core members that played on appetite, Stones, Zepplin, Doors, Black sabbath, Gnr are as good or better in their prime, To bad one stupid cunt named Axl ruined it for all us original Gnr fans. thnx u fucking prick

I am and will be a a giant GNR fan till I die, Appetite, UYI 1 AND 2 , LIES, are what gNr is all about . Chineses democracy is a joke to anybody that was a teenager when GNR was the worlds most dangerous band, Axl had his vision and it sucks , sorry but the truth hurts, Axl cost us fans decades of new music from the core members that played on appetite, Stones, Zepplin, Doors, Black sabbath, Gnr are as good or better in their prime, To bad one stupid cunt named Axl ruined it for all us original Gnr fans. thnx u fucking prick

I hear ya.

It's cool to see the oldbies of this forum are coming back with reasonable thinking.

2 Thumbs up to Iceman for telling it like it is. First heard Appetite on a cassette tape(that shows how old I am) in late 87. Was hooked right away. As the months progressed in 1988 GnR got bigger and bigger. Finally got to see them open for Aerosmith in August 1988. Incredible show, even though the band made some mistakes, it didn't matter, the crowd was totally into it. They could have been the Stones.

Back on topic, Slash was right , but I wouldn't have had a problem if Axl/Slash could have come to a happy medium. IE: Hard rock with some of Axl's ideas. But unfortunately Axl was running the show and it was his way or the highway. And as Iceman said, we fans lost out on 2 decades of killer GnR songs/concerts.

2 Thumbs up to Iceman for telling it like it is. First heard Appetite on a cassette tape(that shows how old I am) in late 87. Was hooked right away. As the months progressed in 1988 GnR got bigger and bigger. Finally got to see them open for Aerosmith in August 1988. Incredible show, even though the band made some mistakes, it didn't matter, the crowd was totally into it. They could have been the Stones.

Back on topic, Slash was right , but I wouldn't have had a problem if Axl/Slash could have come to a happy medium. IE: Hard rock with some of Axl's ideas. But unfortunately Axl was running the show and it was his way or the highway. And as Iceman said, we fans lost out on 2 decades of killer GnR songs/concerts.

Yeah, afd and lies were the soundtrack to my high school years from 87-91 - so i agree with all this -- and axl's gonna cry to canter tha slash stole 15 yrs of his life - what a little (ok fat) fucking bitch

Not trying to be hated by everyone in the board, but in my opinion, and I underline it twice, it's JUST MY OPINION, i prefer the Illusions over AFD.

I mean, AFD is great, and I think it is great because in that period they both (Slash and Axl) wanted to show the same thing: that they were the only wild, true street hard rock band left in post-hair-metal era. And, jeez, they were.

But I really feel like their "artistic" (sorry for the curse word) peak is actually on the Illusions...it's in those records that you can really hear the sound of the TITANIC CLASH between the two different approaches...the exploding critical mass created by the hard-rock-coherence roots of Slash and the pop-psicho-visions of Axl.

Today, for me, they both miss the other one's part. They both sound somewhat weird and incomplete to me. But I do still love them both inconditionally.

Not trying to be hated by everyone in the board, but in my opinion, and I underline it twice, it's JUST MY OPINION, i prefer the Illusions over AFD.

I mean, AFD is great, and I think it is great because in that period they both (Slash and Axl) wanted to show the same thing: that they were the only wild, true street hard rock band left in post-hair-metal era. And, jeez, they were.

But I really feel like their "artistic" (sorry for the curse word) peak is actually on the Illusions...it's in those records that you can really hear the sound of the TITANIC CLASH between the two different approaches...the exploding critical mass created by the hard-rock-coherence roots of Slash and the pop-psicho-visions of Axl.

Today, for me, they both miss the other one's part. They both sound somewhat weird and incomplete to me. But I do still love them both inconditionally.

Why would people hate you? That's a good post.

Illusions are my favorites, too, though I realize Appetite has more iconic songs and was perhaps perfect for its time in a way the UYIs maybe weren't, if that makes sense.

And i agree that each misses the other, terribly so.

Why would people hate you? That's a good post.

Illusions are my favorites, too, though I realize Appetite has more iconic songs and was perhaps perfect for its time in a way the UYIs maybe weren't, if that makes sense.

And i agree that each misses the other, terribly so.

Ehaha magisme you know, sometimes seems like everyone prefers AFD so I didnt want to sound like trolling ... I'm happy that you like my post, and that you share my view