What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Early British gangster film, pre-Carter, quite awful really but it has an odd exploitation movie charm, lots of tits, a nice Aston Martin and some of the worst acting and storyline I've ever seen.  Cinema was still kind of recovering from the 60s.  Watch this and you see why Carter is/was such a seminal film.

On 26 June 2016 at 4:25 AM, J Dog said:

Mystery Train & Night on Earth.

Probably liked Mystery Train more but enjoyed both.

The scene with Roberto Benigini and the bishop makes me wretch with laughter, its fucking hilairious!

Wasn't Joe Strummer cool in Mystery Train?  He pretty much acts exactly like Joe Strummer but its just hilairious, Jarmusch has a way of getting the comedy out of people i find.

On 6/29/2016 at 8:54 PM, Len B'stard said:

The scene with Roberto Benigini and the bishop makes me wretch with laughter, its fucking hilairious!

Wasn't Joe Strummer cool in Mystery Train?  He pretty much acts exactly like Joe Strummer but its just hilairious, Jarmusch has a way of getting the comedy out of people i find.

Yeah I loved Joe in that. Just like how I loved Iggy in Coffee and Cigs. So I've seen those three, Dead Man and Ghost Dog. What's left?

Meant to ask you when we were talking about Last Boy Scout....ever seen Striking Distance with Bruce? Coast/boat police, the chick from Sex and the City, little red riding hood, that might help ring a bell.

26 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Yeah I loved Joe in that. Just like how I loved Iggy in Coffee and Cigs. So I've seen those three, Dead Man and Ghost Dog. What's left?

Meant to ask you when we were talking about Last Boy Scout....ever seen Striking Distance with Bruce? Coast/boat police, the chick from Sex and the City, little red riding hood, that might help ring a bell.

Yeah I've seen Striking Distance...i think Last Boy Scout was one of those films i caught half of on TV one day, thats why it was familiar.  

His films are kinda arty after that, try Down By Law, i think you'll like that...then maybe The Limits of Control.

• Like 1

Do all his films hint at genre? like Ghost Dog has the feel of a crime movie or Taxi Driver. It's like Mike Tyson on vacation with a samurai sword.

Jim's strong on character. Even on Coffee you are imagining story lines from Iggy and Tom's characters. 

Dead Man is like a arty western? 

I don't know which European director he's stealing from yet. Probably Godard and Wenders. It seems like it's real banal everyday like but all the cultural mish mash seems surreal. 

Edited by wasted
Mmm

4 hours ago, wasted said:

What's Broken Flowers like?

From what i can remember it's Bill Murray walking around looking morose for just over 90 mins, in a fetching little tracksuit looking for his son or something, i think.  I remember thinking it was alright but i only saw it the once back when it came out.

Pulp - Michael Caine, Al Leitteri & Mickey Rooney, a sort of dark comedy where Caine plays a writer of lurid fiction who is commisioned to write ghost-write the biography of a ageing hollywood star, ending up embroiled in a web of ridiculousness.

The Wrong Arm of the Law - Peter Sellers, Bill Kerr and a cast stuffed full of people that went on to do big things on British TV and cinema, about a bunch of police officers that go about robbing all the local criminals and gangs of London.