What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

M. Night's The Visit

An hour and a half of my life I can't get back. He has lost his mojo and needs to stop making horrible films.

I guessed the so called twist ending in the first 5 minutes. What mother in their right mind sends her kids to visit parents she hasn't seen in 15 years?

I swore I would stop watching his movies after that horrible Lady in the Lake.

This year's Wayward Pines isn't as good as the first season either.

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

You mean like Remington Steele?

He was a James Bond for a bit too.

Finally got around to seeing Villeneuve's Enemy. Loved it. After seeing Sicario, Prisoners, Incendies, and now Enemy, I am really looking forward to see what he does with the Blade Runner sequel.

On 5/31/2016 at 3:26 PM, J Dog said:

Desperado

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

I loved Desperado and dragged a bunch of friends along to see Once Upon a Time in Mexico when it came out in the cinema. Only one of them had seen Desperado, but he along with the others was baffled by ...Mexico. I really dug how out there it was, even if it wasn't quite as good as Desperado (the weaker villain and the distance given to the relationship with Salma Hayek work against it). Also made me intrigued to try puerco pibil at a couple of Mexican restaurants, but none were good enough to shoot the cook.

On 6/4/2016 at 10:38 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

M. Night's The Visit

An hour and a half of my life I can't get back. He has lost his mojo and needs to stop making horrible films.

I guessed the so called twist ending in the first 5 minutes. What mother in their right mind sends her kids to visit parents she hasn't seen in 15 years?

I swore I would stop watching his movies after that horrible Lady in the Lake.

I could somewhat Stomach The Sixth Sense but everything after that I just found horrible filmmaking. I did watch Lady in the Lake years later almost to dare myself to experience how bad it truly was based on word of mouth, but I wont make that same mistake again. :)

5 hours ago, Bumblefeet said:

I could somewhat Stomach The Sixth Sense but everything after that I just found horrible filmmaking. I did watch Lady in the Lake years later almost to dare myself to experience how bad it truly was based on word of mouth, but I wont make that same mistake again. :)

He did a good one about being stuck in an elevator. I just think he is interesting which is something in short supply. He's kind of like Lucas to me. He's like on the money but hipsters are watching youtube movies. 

Hurry Sundown - Michael Caine, Jane Fonda, really good film in which Michael Caine plays a sort of well to do deep south white racist, long film, not exactly an epic but something approaching that, I'm not sure whether his southern drawl is really good or just absolute shite, he maintains his particular linguistic cadence and it's just so familiar that no matter how much he changes his accent you can sort of still hear him in it.  Basically he's trying to buy up all this land, some of it occupied by members of his family and one of em goes into business with this black fella he's known all his life, much to Michael chagrin who sets about fucking them up.  Great character really, a sort of misogynist, racist self centred manipulative kind of guy.  Underrated upon release though i think it's great. 

The Magus - Michael Caine, Candice Bergen, Anthony Quinn, not sure what to make of this film.  Apparently panned upon release and bordering upon impossible to follow it's based around Caine who plays this English teacher who moves to this remote Greek Island where he runs into this weird guy Anthony Quinn who is either a psychiatrist or a film director, or a nazi or some kind of existentialist madman...and ummm...it's really very difficult to describe.  Woody Allen was once quoted as saying if he had his entire life to do over he'd do everything exactly the same, except watching The Magus :lol:  The funniest bit for me though is where they're doing this sort of a flashback scene to explain to you who Quinns character really is and he's apparently this ex child musical prodigy from London who plays fantastically...and it's Roger Lloyd Pack a young Trigger from Only Fools) playing the young Quinn, i just couldnt take it seriously :lol: 

Too Late The Hero - Michael Caine, Henry Fonda, directed by Robert Aldrich.  Caine and a bunch of soldiers are sent on this mission to fuck up this Japanese communications base and in the process end up sort of lost in the jungle, being stalked by this mad Japanese general.  Great film, really tense, good production values...smoked a spliff before watching it and it made it all the better.

Zee & Co - Michael Caine, Elizabeth Taylor, play this man and wife whoose marriage is on the rocks, Michael starts sleeping with this other bird and it's all about the inter-maritial conflict and the various games that people play in relationships, again sort of a peak era Michael Caine film, really good solid performance by Elizabeth Taylor.

The Black Windmill - Michael Caine plays a spy whoose son gets kidnapped and he goes about getting him back whilst fucking up all these bad guys, played by John Vernon.  Directed by Don Siegel and it really shows, has that grim directorial quality that his stuff tends to have.

The Marseilles Contract - Anthony Quinn plays a copper chasing this big french drug kingpin wonderfully played by James Mason and decides upon hiring a hitman played by Michael Caine who turns about to be an old mate of his.  Good film

Last Orders - Michael Caine, David Hemmings, Bob Hoskins, Helen Mirren, Ray Winstone, Caines character dies and his mates all go off to Margate to scatter his ashes and the story of his life is sort of told in flashback, good film, very compact, a lot of great actors in this sort of modest character piece, i liked it.

The Quiet American - Michael Caine and Brendan Fraser, Caine plays a journalist in Vietnam whoose seeing this Vietnamese bird who Brendan Fraser falls in love with...don't wanna tell anymore cuz i don't wanna give nothing away.

Youth - fantastic film with Michael Caine and Harvey Kietel playing an old composer and a film director respectively coming to terms with growing old.  Seriously top drawer film, loved it.  My brief synposis here does not do it justice.

18 hours ago, Bumblefeet said:

The Woman in Black

fairly bland shot ghost story and as a result I couldn't quite get into it, Radcliffe is ok, Ciarán Hinds is excellent but overall missed opportunity.

Not bad. A sad storyline and that woman was creepy.

Paranormal Activity:The Marked Ones

Do any of these movies end well? lol

Just now, Amir said:

I loved Desperado and dragged a bunch of friends along to see Once Upon a Time in Mexico when it came out in the cinema. Only one of them had seen Desperado, but he along with the others was baffled by ...Mexico. I really dug how out there it was, even if it wasn't quite as good as Desperado (the weaker villain and the distance given to the relationship with Salma Hayek work against it). Also made me intrigued to try puerco pibil at a couple of Mexican restaurants, but none were good enough to shoot the cook.

And it was out there in a different type of way than Desperado too. I really like it. It was sequel that felt like it's own other thing.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 5:21 PM, Bumblefeet said:

I know I keep getting suckered in. The storyline for The Visit was pretty good, but I guessed it in the first 5 minutes, so when it was revealed I was like "DUH". I thought Signs was very good. Scary and funny too, but after that he lost it. I feel badly for him. M showed promise, but he just lost his way.

Last night I watched " The Vatican Tapes". Pretty good, but nothing new in horror movie storylines.

Alice through the looking Glass.

Edited by dontdamnmeuyi2015
another movie

1 minute ago, Wagszilla said:

They're releasing a remastered Blu Ray this fall. I'm very excited. 

Yeah I saw, from Shout Factory. Unfortunately they don't ship to the UK :/

Bit weird that it's only from a 2K scan as well, even non-4K Blu-Rays are often taken from 4K scans. I guess I'll wait for the inevitable 4K release in a few years time.

12 hours ago, Amir said:

Yeah I saw, from Shout Factory. Unfortunately they don't ship to the UK :/

Bit weird that it's only from a 2K scan as well, even non-4K Blu-Rays are often taken from 4K scans. I guess I'll wait for the inevitable 4K release in a few years time.

For newer movies yes, but for catalogue titles such as "The Thing" a 2K scan is sufficient. I question haw much improvement you are going to get out of a 4K scan as opposed to 2K for older titles such as this. A 2K scan can reveal plenty of detail in the film grain and a 4K scan wont add much more to that. Also the blu-ray is the end product as that does not even support 4K. I will pick up the new "The Thing" release as it's not only the 2K scan that I'm looking forward to, but the color correction and new audio mix.

Edited by Bumblefeet

17 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Oh shit, so two of us like that film :lol:. It is pretty shite though.

I laughed out loud at "No sequel for you." The little jokes like not being able to say "fuck" because it's a PG-13 movie and Schwarzenegger failing to plug Planet Hollywood were great.

22 hours ago, Amir said:

Watched John Carpenter's The Thing for about the 20th time. A perfect film.

Yeah, this was an awesome horror film.  Kurt Russell is so bad ass!

I watched "Unknown Caller"

2 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Oh shit, so two of us like that film :lol:. It is pretty shite though.

I saw this in the movie theatre. I actually thought the soundtrack was very good. I loved the Queensryche song called "Real World". The movie was too long.

Watched Rambo 4 today, fuuuuuuuuuuck me that was a crackin' film!  Bit wrong though, fuckin' men, women, children, babies, no ones fuckin' spared there eh?  Belter of a film though, i really enjoyed that, definitely worthy of inclusion with the other three, loved it.  Apparently thats it for the Rambos, fair dues to Sly I suppose hes pushing 70 now, no amount of HGH can dig you out of that hole.  Great film though, aint enjoyed an action film that much in ages.

Makes me wonder what the FUCK goes on in Burma.