3. High Plains Drifter
  4. Jeremiah Johnson
  5. A Few Dollars More
  6. Stagecoach
  7. The Big Gundown
  8. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
  9. Django
  10. The Treasure of Sierra Madre

It's a fairly diverse list. I watched 20 others, some good, some bad, some unredeemably shitty. 

That's a really solid list. Did you watch Pale Rider and/Unforgiven?

Just now, Wagszilla said:

I did. I did not care for Pale Rider to say the least and I think Unforgiven is pretty good.

:o

Pale Rider is amazing (though an obvious retelling of Shane). What didn't you like about it?

Preeeaachuuuurrrrr!

4 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I hate Shane. I also hate children in movies.

I didn't really care for the religious angle. It was pretty superficial and on the nose. I just didn't think it brought anything new or interesting to the table.

A handful of good cinematography though. It was also funny seeing a "skinny" Chris Penn.

Every time I watch Pale Rider I have to remind myself that the girl is only like 14 or 15.

I'm glad that you have Django down there: a really ridiculous, but good film. Apparently, in the beginning, when Django is dragging the coffin, the director forgot to yell "CUT!", so Franco Nero just kept on walking, hundreds of yards away! :lol:

Edited by PappyTron
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wagszilla said:

That girl just wanted to get fucked, she did! 

In the film, Skinny Penn says "I bet she tastes like a freshwater clam" and I was just reading on IMDB where someone said "You know, the Preacher could have had the young girl's freshwater clam, but instead chose the mother's old crab".

:lol::lol:

• Like 1

Just now, Wagszilla said:

Top 10 Westerns I've watched are probably:

1. Once Upon A Time In The West
  2. The Great Silence
  3. High Plains Drifter
  4. Jeremiah Johnson
  5. A Few Dollars More
  6. Stagecoach
  7. The Big Gundown
  8. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
  9. Django
  10. The Treasure of Sierra Madre

It's a fairly diverse list. I watched 20 others, some good, some bad, some unredeemably shitty. 

Finally, the list. Nice viewing.

Once Upon a Time is one of the best.

Stagecoach, The Searchers, Rio Bravo are probably my top 3 from the Duke.

Any Eastwood is good. Josey Wales would make my top 10. But I love Pale Rider too. I'll take Tombstone over Unforgiven, but I do love it.

Big Gundown is a nice call. Van Cleef is just a beast in a western.

Spoorloos (a.k.a. The Vanishing) 1988 

Excellent Dutch movie with a familiar Belgian face in the lead. I'd only seen the dreadful US remake put out 5 years later by the same director starring Sandra Bullock, Jeff Bridges & Kiefer Sutherland. Then I saw Kubrick had put the original on his 'best movies' list and I had to check it out. Infinitely better.

On 5/9/2016 at 2:09 PM, Wagszilla said:

Outlaw Josey Wales is just outside my Top 10 but I really like it and at times better than Unforgiven. 

Both Tombstone and Silverado are really fun and watchable. Great performance by Val Kilmer in the former.

When you hear Eastwood talk about it, it sounds like he is just as proud of Josey Wales and likes it just as much as Unforgiven.

Kilmer owned Tombstone. His Doc Holliday is just as good if not better than his Jim Morrison.

On topic: American Hustle. Thumbs up.

The Witch - While I don't think it was as great as critics made it out to be, it was full of dread and gave me an uncomfortable feeling the whole time, which is really what I want from a horror movie since jump-scares don't typically work on me. The story was interesting and the way it all played out was done very well as well. Overall I'd give it an 8/10.

People Will Talk (1951)

This is one of those older films where it's like "yes, I enjoyed it" but at the same time have no desire to watch again. You want to really like it, but it doesn't feel like the better plot elements get enough attention.

Straight Outta Compton

Saw the director's cut and it did drag a bit in the final act, but still entertaining and cool trip down memory lane.

Bone Tomahawk

Lenghty picture as well, but I like how it takes its time almost to be more authentic to the western era. Some flashes of gritty & gory kills.

Funeral in Berlin - Michael Caine

I've never much gone in for all that spy mularkey, never much cared for Bond and all that (lovely motors though!) but stick me in front of a telly with Michael Caine playing Harry Palmer and I'll watch it all day long.